What's new

Any love for Fisher Space Pens?

The US spent millions of dollars developing the Fischer Space pen with its special pressurized cartridge, special ink etc. for the astronauts to use in 0 gravity. When the details of the Russian space program became available it was found they also had an instrument that met all the same criteria - a lead pencil! Rather like the 5 blade, vibrating, lube striped $4 cartridge vs a 20 cent DE in a 100 year old junk store razor!

The US spent millions of dollars developing the Fischer Space pen with its special pressurized cartridge, special ink etc. for the astronauts to use in 0 gravity. When the details of the Russian space program became available it was found they also had an instrument that met all the same criteria - a lead pencil! Rather like the 5 blade, vibrating, lube striped $4 cartridge vs a 20 cent DE in a 100 year old junk store razor!

This is actually not true. From Wikipedia:
Russian cosmonauts used pencils, and grease pencils on plastic slates until also adopting a space pen in 1969 with a purchase of 100 units for use on all future missions. NASA programs previously used pencils (for example a 1965 order of mechanical pencils) but because of the danger that a broken-off pencil tip poses in zero gravity and the flammable nature of the wood present in pencils a better solution was needed. NASA never approached Paul Fisher to develop a pen, nor did Fisher receive any government funding for the pen's development. Fisher invented it independently, and then asked NASA to try it. After the introduction of the AG7 Space Pen, both the American and Soviet (later Russian) space agencies adopted it.

Also, NASA did not spend any money developing the Space Pen. Paul C. Fisher developed the pen on his own, at his own cost, and then pitched it to NASA.

I own two. One stays on the nightstand, the other in the folio that accompanies me to both lectures and meetings (usually alongside a fountain pen if I anticipate taking plenty of notes). Both get used regularly. I, too, see these as excellent accompaniments to fountain pens. :thumbup1:

This is basically what I'm looking for. I can't write for long amounts of time with anything other than a fountain pen.

Amazon has many nice ones to choose from.

SO MANY CHOICES! I need something that won't get too scratched up, and something approaching full sized, unless the bullet pens are easy enough to use. Any recommendations for me?

This is basically what I'm looking for. I can't write for long amounts of time with anything other than a fountain pen.

SO MANY CHOICES! I need something that won't get too scratched up, and something approaching full sized, unless the bullet pens are easy enough to use. Any recommendations for me?

The Bullet is nearly full size when open. I have big hands and the Bullet is very comfortable. The chrome bullet below has been in my pocket everyday since 95 and it still looks great.

Here is a quick phone pic I took with the Bullet next to a Uni-Ball Signo. Each square on the grid is 1 inch.

Last edited:
Just purchased a chrome bullet space pen. Should get it by Wednesday! Fountain pen will still be used in class and for any personal writing, but this will (hopefully) be used for everything else! $14.49 after taxes + free two-day shipping, so this didn't break the bank for me.

I'll certainly upgrade to a full-sized AG7 if I like the bullet enough though.

Last edited:
Just purchased a chrome bullet space pen. Should get it by Wednesday! Fountain pen will still be used in class and for any personal writing, but this will (hopefully) be used for everything else! $14.49 after taxes + free two-day shipping, so this didn't break the bank for me.

:thumbup1: It is a great pen, hope you enjoy it.

The Bullet is a great pen to carry, especially in a wallet or pants pocket. That said, I know I would be much more prone to lose a pen carried in my pants pocket than one clipped to my shirt collar or in my shirt pocket. That's the habbit I'm getting into with my Cap-O-Matics, which I don't think you can beat for $10, both in terms of performance and professional appearance. I'm carrying my Lacquered Brass Cap-O-Matic Slim (M5G) today, since I'm wearing a gold watch (Invicta Signature Russian Diver). Most days it's the Chrome Cap-O-Matic (M4C) along with a silver watch (Seiko Flight Computer).

If you don't want to make the price jump from Bullet to AG7, check out the Shuttle line... similar size and mechanism to the AG7, more color/finish options, ~1/2 the price, same refill, and same lifetime warranty (as all the Space Pens). I also like that the Shuttle has less taper than the AG7, but has just a slightly smaller overall diameter. A G4 Gold Grid Shuttle and/or B4 Black Grid Shuttle is going to be my next purchase.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Got the pen in a couple of hours ago. Here are my thoughts that I wrote down (Black and Red notebook)

Needs to be posted to work comfortably in my hands (I'm 6'1" or 2"). Writes great on skin (great because I do that a lot). Ink smudges a bit but nothing crazy- certainly not as much as a fountain pen.

I think the cap is made of plastic. What's up with that? (I'm really annoyed about this. I thought the entire pen was brass plated chrome!)

I doubt I'll be writing upside-down much, but the pen does write great while inverted.

I've had a handful of Bullet Space Pens over the past 10-12 years (most recently 2-3 years ago), at least 2 each in chrome and matte black, and they've all had metal caps and removable metal clips. Thinking back, I remember the matte black versions being bare brass on the inside of the cap. I can't recall the color inside the caps of the chrome versions, but I know they were metal caps. If they have changed over to plastic caps, that's a big step back.

I've had a handful of Bullet Space Pens over the past 10-12 years (most recently 2-3 years ago), at least 2 each in chrome and matte black, and they've all had metal caps and removable metal clips. Thinking back, I remember the matte black versions being bare brass on the inside of the cap. I can't recall the color inside the caps of the chrome versions, but I know they were metal caps. If they have changed over to plastic caps, that's a big step back.

The inside is a light yellow, doesn't look like brass to me. It's very light but coated in chrome on the outside. It doesn't sound like plastic or metal when I tap just the cap, sorta in between. If the cap is plastic, I'm going to be annoyed. Didn't get a clip either. Guess that's what $15 gets me.

PS: I emailed Fisher to ask if they've changed their manufacturing process. Will update with a response if I get one.

Last edited:
Almost all of the Bullet color/finish options are available with or without clip, you just have to pay attention to which you are ordering. There's usually a minimal ($1ish) difference in the clip and non-clip version. You can also buy the cap separately for $2ish. I really doubt it's plastic, but probably just thinner sheet metal.

The Cap-O-Matic can be had for $10 and is an excellent more traditional full-length pen, so $15 should get you a solid pen in the form of the Bullet. I hope quality of the Bullet hasn't decreased in the past couple of year, but I remember mine from 2-3 years ago being solid and holding up to a good bit of day-do-day bump-and-bang being carried in my wallet. Whenever I replace my large passport wallet with a more traditional bifold, I'll probably pick up a new bullet for that purpose.

Now that is one incredibly aggressive looking pen. Looks like it could do a number on your pocket.

They say there are "specific reasons" why the cap doesn't fit on the back, as if those reasons are some type of classified field tactic... anyone more in the know able to elaborate on these tactical elements?

I believe that pen was designed as a last ditch self defense weapon, the non ability to place the cap on the tail I haven't a clue. Maybe it's to make you lose it and need and to order another. :001_unsur

The inside is a light yellow, doesn't look like brass to me. It's very light but coated in chrome on the outside. It doesn't sound like plastic or metal when I tap just the cap, sorta in between. If the cap is plastic, I'm going to be annoyed. Didn't get a clip either. Guess that's what $15 gets me.

PS: I emailed Fisher to ask if they've changed their manufacturing process. Will update with a response if I get one.

After reading this i pulled mine out to investigate. I can't tell if the cap is brass beacause of overspray from when the cap got painted black and i'm not going to scuff it up to find out. But it is metal and mine has the clip. Maybe that is also a defferance between the clip and non-clip version, one is metal and the other is plastic? i dunno. I got mine at Staples

Bought my first bullet about 8 years ago, bought a replacement about 6yrs ago when I lost the first one, and it's in my desk at home... also have another fisher in my pocket all the time beside the pen and pencil set.

You don't know how useful it is for making a not on a piece of paper just writing against the wall rather than having to hunt for a flat surface like a normal pen. I go through a refill in a couple months.

Top Bottom