What's new

Cast Iron Pan

I am interested in a cast iron pan. What are some good brands (Is there a difference?) Where to shop? Does anyone know of a place in Calgary, Alberta?

Thanks

There are a few manufacturers of cast iron skillets, Dutch Ovens and other various types. If you are looking for new cast iron cookware, I recommend Lodge cast iron (www.lodgemfg.com), Located in Tennessee, they are the sole manufacturer of cast iron cookware in the U.S. Over the past few years, I've built up a small collection of Lodge and have been very satisfied.

Another option is to look in antique stores or on ebay for vintage cast iron. Griswold is the most valued as it was machined smooth as opposed to the slight pebble initial finish of the Lodge pans. Griswold pans are analogous to the Gillette fat boy in that they are perceived as being premium razors. Lodge uses a 'sand mold' of casting it's cookware.

I've found Amazon, Wallyworld and Target to be the least expensive way to purchase Lodge cast iron.

Tonight we had a delicious over roaster chicken roasted in a Lodge 12" skillet. I'm convinced that the slow, steady heat coming from the thermal mass of these pans provides superior taste.

Hope this helps

+1 on Lodge. Their pans are excellent.

FYI, Lodge pans are often available on Amazon with free shipping.

In Calgary, try Ribtor Hardware in Inglewood. I remember them having a variety of cast iron cookware in their old store on MacLeod Trail.

we got ours a few years ago at Canadian Tire. it takes a while to get it slick and fully operational, but once it is, there is no comparrison to teflon or tfal or any other frypan.

ask around, perhaps a relative or friend has a nice old seasoned one lying around.

Gander Mountain also carries cast iron cookware. I have three pans as well as a cast iron griddle for my stove top. They are great. DO NOT clean them with soap once you have seasoned the pan. It will ruin the non stick characteristics.

I have seen them, and quite a few different sizes at Basspro shop at Cross Iron mall. Have yet to try one, not sure what the advantage really is? They hold heat well, even cooking?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I bought my last one at Bass Pro. I'm not a big fan of the Lodge pre-seasoning. For me the inside of the pan was far too rough. I eventually took the time to sand it smooth. Wonderful pan now.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
+1 on Lodge. Their pans are excellent.

FYI, Lodge pans are often available on Amazon with free shipping.
Reed:
+2 for Lodge Pre-seasoned heavy cast-iron skillets. And as a Certified Executive Chef®, ACF, I highly recondmend this skillet for price, durability and performance. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUB/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004S9H9&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RNM6EZ9GW2JK5Y222VF

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
I have two vintage #10 Wagner skillets that have become indispensable. I also have a modern Lodge 7 Qt. dutch oven that has been a mainstay. The #8, #5 and plett pan get used much less frequently. The #5 is a modern Korean pan that works just fine, the #8 is a nice old nickel plated Wagner but it's too small for most work in my four belly house.

The newer Lodge came with the factory seasoning, and it held up to gumbos, sauces, soups and other acidic cooking for two years. I think what finally did the interior seasoning in was baking no knead bread at 500 degrees. It started coming off in big flakes, so I hit it with a flap disc on a die grinder and some hand sanding, re-seasoned at home and it's back in action.

The vintage pans tend to have a smoother cooking surface than the modern ones. I think polishing the castings would be cost prohibitive today, and you can still get a good, nonstick surface, but given the choice I'd prefer an old pan.

That's not to say the new ones aren't great, but the old ones were better, IMHO.

Once you get in to the routine of simple maintenance (hot water and stiff nylon brush wash, towel dry and on some days get it warm and apply some fat or oil) you'll wonder why people switched to "disposables".

I'm so glad this topic came up!

I have a 15-20 year old cast iron pan that I recently inherited and I'm pretty sure it needs to be seasoned/re-seasoned. While looking up seasoning instructions online, I found conflicting recommendations to use lard, canola oil, bacn fat, and others. I couldn't decide who to trust!

Can someone with experience please tell me how to treat my new pan? I'm psyched to use it, but I know I need to do some work before it's functional.

Thanks!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm so glad this topic came up!

I have a 15-20 year old cast iron pan that I recently inherited and I'm pretty sure it needs to be seasoned/re-seasoned. While looking up seasoning instructions online, I found conflicting recommendations to use lard, canola oil, bacn fat, and others. I couldn't decide who to trust!

Can someone with experience please tell me how to treat my new pan? I'm psyched to use it, but I know I need to do some work before it's functional.

Thanks!

Some people won't use bacon or animal fat as it may go rancid after time. I used to lightly oil (lightly) inside and out with vegetable oil, put it in a 250 degree oven upside down, put some foil on the lower rack to catch anything that drips, and leave it for 2 1/2 hours. Then shut the oven off and let it sit overnight.

I recently used the method in the link below that uses solid Crisco shortening and it worked very, very well. And it's a bit easier also. It is also a good idea to melt a bit of the solid Crisco in a sauce pan to make it easier to wipe onto the cast iron...you can get a more even, light coat of oil.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/seasoning.php

Last edited:
I bought my last one at Bass Pro. I'm not a big fan of the Lodge pre-seasoning. For me the inside of the pan was far too rough. I eventually took the time to sand it smooth. Wonderful pan now.

How rough was the pan; would it be hard to scrape food off?
How did you sand the pan?

I found some at Army and Navy, but found the surface bumpy. I found a place that sells Lodge. I will take a look. Also I think I will take a look at a Market near me.

Thanks for the advice

Reed:
+2 for Lodge Pre-seasoned heavy cast-iron skillets. And as a Certified Executive Chef®, ACF, I highly recondmend them for price, durability and performance. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006JSUB/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00004S9H9&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RNM6EZ9GW2JK5Y222VF

Christopher
proxy.php

I also highly recommend this pan, it is my go to for bacon, chicken etc... and finishing off carnitas in the oven.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I also highly recommend this pan, it is my go to for bacon, chicken etc... and finishing off carnitas in the oven.
Andrew:
Since we're talking the benefits of using cast iron cookware (even Dr. Oz stated, "Besides eating iron-rich and iron-fortified foods, you can pump up the trace amounts of iron in your diet by cooking foods in good, old-fashioned cast-iron pans", a home can not be without a 'Lodge Pro-Logic Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 12-Inch Square Grill Pan', (besides a Lodge Cast Iron Skillet and Duth Oven), which is great for steaks, fish, shrimp, chicken just to name a few and because of the raised ridges (which allows fat to drain), you can get beautiful cris-cross seared-markings. Again, as a Certified Executive Chef®, ACF, I highly recondmend this grill for price, durability and performance. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-12-Inch-Square/dp/B0001DJVGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295209645&sr=1-1

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
How rough was the pan; would it be hard to scrape food off?
How did you sand the pan?

I found some at Army and Navy, but found the surface bumpy. I found a place that sells Lodge. I will take a look. Also I think I will take a look at a Market near me.

Thanks for the advice

Most new pans have the bumpy cast finish, I do have a large Lodge that has a milled finish and I see them very occasionally. Perhaps they're old stock. I also have a few old pans and I agree that they are preferred. Once cured you should not have difficulty cleaning them just use warm water and a scotch pad without soap if food gets stuck. I usually deglase the pan after cooking and polish with a little veg oil and kosher salt and my pan stays nice and shiny black.

I'm no expert but I have 3 skillets (including one from the 50's I inherited from my grandma- my favorite), an indoor 10 inch Dutch oven and 3 outdoor Dutch ovens. Except for a saucepan I cook on cast iron exclusively. All of my stuff is lodge with the exception of one Dutch oven that is MACA brand my dad bought me with my name cast into the lid. The lodge is awesome, especially the old one. The inside is silver not black and as smooth as glass. As previously mentioned you can get it all over but if you can find an old one at a yard sale or antique store my humble opinion is that they are better- much smoother. As far as seasoning I have used pretty much everything- olive oil, Pam spray, bacon grease and my favorite is crisco. If you use it regularly I wouldnt worry about The animal fat going rancid. If you start using iron you will be glad you did.

Top Bottom