What's new

Generic razor blades

The local grocery stores, RiteAid, CVS, etc. all seem to have the same generic DE blades. Anybody know who makes these? If so, are they any good?

American Safety Razor, or ASR, makes most of these. They are usually serviceable blades. They make Personna brand blades.

Short answer: check the package for country of origin. If "Made in USA", bet on ASR/Personna, if "Made in Korea" it's almost definitely a Dorco.

And the lucky few that say- made in Israel- are the ASR Israeli Personnas (often identical to the Crystals). There are more often seen outside of the USA these days.

AVOID THOSE!!!!!!!

They butchered me.

The ASR grocery/pharmacy blades shave great though. I'll use them for traveling.

I like the Dorco blades and think they are one of the better blades I've used. I felt like you did in the post above about Treet Classic blades. Or, should I say, 'blade' after one shave. "I" butchered my face, not the blade. I thought they were bad, bad blades and put them away. Then, I started thinking that maybe it was me with my newbie technique so I tried them again with my EJ 89DE and found that they are actually good blades.

So, perhaps it's not the blades fault when a butchering occurs but a bad operator error day. How can a blade butcher someone when they are using a good technique? If errors start to occur it is time to stop, step back and analyze. Maybe it is a single faulty blade and need's to be chucked, or maybe the mind was wandering and a wake-up call was necessary to remind one to stop and review the basics and then try again slowly.

Then again, heck, maybe I got the one good blade that Dorco ever made. Still, I like them and feel they are quality.

Happy shaving!

The price on the generic blades at CVS Pharmacy is horrible! They might be good blades but I'd only buy them if I was out of town and couldn't get anything better in time for a shave. I think my local CVS has them at $10 for a pack of ten(?) blades. They had a sale of buy one and get the second at half-off that didn't even entice me. I mean, I can get 100 Derby's for less than 10 generics.

Top Bottom