What's new

Second Annual "One Blade in February" Challenge

It's that time of year. Time for the world famous "One Blade in February" Challenge!!!

Last year we had 6 or 7 participants. This year I expect more since 5 of you bought Personna 74 blades from me and promised to participate.

Here are the "rules":

1. Use one blade for the entire month of February
2. Push your blade as far as it can go
3. Have fun!
4. There are no rules! (see Rule 3)

This isn't a "contest," so if you want to use some magic gizmo to extend the life of your blade, feel free. Pyramid power is acceptable. I will be cleaning my blade with water each day, then swishing in a jar of rubbing alcohol. Some may hand strop it. Just share your method, shaving hardware and software, and have fun!

I posted early for those of you who have mortal blades and want to see how far your Feather, Derby, Red IP, etc will go before we start.

At least 7 or 8 of us will be using the greatest blade ever, the Personna 74. I got my stash last year when they were still affordable. A lot of 72 just sold on ebay for $280+, so it is unlikely that you'll find any at a reasonable price before Feb 1 if you don't have them already. That's ok! Use whatever you have, and see how far it will go. Maybe there is another long lasting blade that is close to the Personna 74's longevity. If you know of one, share it.

I'm in, still trying to decide whether to use an injector or double edge with a P74. I much prefer the injector over the double edge any day of the week but I like to use a different razor each day. On one hand I would have less chance of boogering up a double edge blade since they're a bit easier to swap in and out of different razors than injector blades are, But that would mean using a double edge for a whole month and no single edge shaves.

This is stressful. Decisions, decisions...

Signed up for this on the old thread but here goes.

Swede
Hand stropped and rinsed in rubbing alcohol after each shave.
Two passes (plus touch up if needed) every other day.
Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined Razor w/Muhle-Jagger Head
EJ Medium Silvertip brush
Castle Forbes Lavender cream - face lathered

FWIW I am currently using a Swede that I started on Christmas Eve so I don't expect to be surprised if a fresh blade lasts well into March.

Last edited:
Ill Have a go at it. I only shave every 3 days though. Hope thats alright. Ill be using an astra sp. I guess I will see how long one of these actually lasts

One blade?--No problem! One razor?--No sweat! But I reserve the right to use multiple brushes and soaps in February.

Yeah, I'm in --for the first couple of weeks, anyway. Last year I made it two weeks of daily three pass shaves with a *74 before I gave in. We'll see how far it goes this year.

-- John Gehman

Oh go on then, i'll knock it down to a two pass instead of a three pass shave. Some extra prep too... Merkur 38c with a Gillette Sharp Edge. And as many soaps and creams as I can!

I'll give it a shot. Indian Wilk in a Bostonian, possibly moving into a Tuckaway on occasion. And probably putting a lot of prep work in to keep this going since I don't have the most blade-friendly beard around.

I've gone 7 days with a p74 in my Progress so far. No extra rinses, alcohol dips, or stropping shenanigans for me. I will put a new p74 in on February 1st for the month.

I will save my current p74 after 9 days of use for March. :thumbup:

Top Bottom