What's new

ultrasonic cleaner

hi all,

have just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner - told SWMBO it was for cleaning her jewellery but its really for the razors!

do i need to use a special cleaning solution with it or will ordinary washing up liquid (dish soap) be OK?

I use Dawn Ultra and very hot (almost boiling) water in mine.

The dish soap is concentrated and antibacterial. I just place the razors in the cleaner, give a liberal squirt of dish soap, and fill it with the hot water.

Several cycles may be needed to fully loosen crud . . . they are great for getting crudded-up adjustables working again!

Yeah, SWMBO thinks the one we have is for cleaning jewelry too. :tongue_sm

:thumbup: Excellent idea guys! (Not the idea of the ultrasonic cleaner, rather the idea/excuse for buying a cleaner!)

Time for me to consider buying the wifey a "jewelry cleaner"! :001_tongu

I use either biological washing liquid or washing up liquid and very hot but not boiling water.........depends on how cruddy the razor is

have just used it with some of my razors, worked a treat, even the wife was impressed at how clean my razors came. My Ej89 came up like new and my tech that i use for travelling is sparkling

You might want to add some Ammonia to the mix. It's great for brightening metals of all kinds including plate. Just make sure it's pure with no soaps or additives in it.

I love ultrasonic cleaning. Razors, jewelry, glasses, it all gets a high-frequency bath from time to time. For a 'solution' I use super-hot water, a very tiny bit of liquid soap to break the surface tension and add a little scent, and lastly some rubbing alcohol to break the surface tension even more (if that's even possible, it can't hurt).

Last edited:
My ultrasonic cleaner recommends only a drop or two of dish detergent along with cold water only. Some professional grade units can handle other solutions and heat.

Be aware that these things can remove paint from the razors.

i got mine from aldi (supermarket we have in the UK) for £20, about $30 i suppose. think they are freely available on amazon

I got mine from Harbor Freight and it does an excellent job. Read the directions, however. Mine says not to use hot water because it will burn the elements. However, there is a setting that gets the water hot. Another word of caution: the painted numbers, etc. will come off in the cleaner.

I have used a jewelry cleaning solution in mine.

Top Bottom