What's new

Shavette - tales of a newbie aged 45 and 3/4...

Hi all.

Thought it was time to post. I have always razor shaved and evolved with the new toys over time. Started with a Gillette G II, then the Contour, to the Excel and for the last 3 years an M3 turbo. Always used a super badger brush and taylor's cream (thanks Dad) and for the last 10 years a post shave alum block. But......ever since I was a kid and got taken to the barber's by my father for haircuts I've been fascinated by the straight razor.

Well recently on holiday in the US from Sydney and wandered into the Art of Shaving for a look. Walked out with a shavette and 10 Merkur blades and some shave oil. Would really have liked a proper straight but I don't really want to bother with honing and stropping.

So off I went back to the hotel to have go. Watched a few vids on the tube and......after 20 minutes it looked like i'd shaved by putting my face into a food processor! Claret everywhere. Interestingly no pain but large nicks and three or four good cuts on the face. That's how I found B and B. Hit the Internet to find out where i'd gone wrong. Anyway just had my sixth shave and apart from a tiny weeper all good and virtually BBS - good enough for me and closer than the gillettes ever were.

So what have I learnt? Thought any new converts might be interested to know even if they've gone to DE rather than a straight blade.

1. Slowly wins the day. Cartridge razors are very forgiving and you can shave quickly without damaging the skin. Not so wet shaving.

2. Skin tension. Cartridge razors don't really need the skin to be held tight. I certainly never stretched my skin with a Gillette. That was the main cause of all the cuts on the first shave. The skin rucked with the movement of the blade and slice!!! It takes a little thought and concentration to remember to keep the skin tight but it is vital. At least for me.

3. Shave oil not for me. Interestingly it seemed to increase the surface tension between the blade and my skin and it jumped all over the place. Stopped the oil, no more skipping just gliding.

4. Blade has to be sharp. A new one every shave. Tried to use one twice and it tugged rather than cut. It might sound counter intuitive that the sharper the safer but it is true. I'm going to order a blade sampler pack to see if there's a better blade for me but the tension in the skin was undoubtedly my downfall at first.

Well I am happy with the shavette now and glad I persisted. No more ingrowns and a good clean shave. Takes a while as I'm still a newbie and going slowly so not sure if I can do it every day when I go back to work next week and may need to use the M3 once or twice. But I'm confident that over time I'll be able to do it every day and the M3 will be history.

Thanks to B and B for all the tips and tricks and advice which got me on the right path.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would suggest trying a different brand of blades or really give a real straight a go. I didn't want to bother with the honing and stropping either but it's really worth it!

Welcome to B&B. A blade sampler pack sounds like the way to go. You might be able to get some longevity out of your blades, if you find the right one.

Here's to close shaves,
Dave

After your 6th shave from the shavette sounds like you are doing very well. Based on your comments about researching here, I think you may already know this, but you have picked one of the most difficult tools, if not the most difficult shaving tool, to master as you transition from cartridge shaving. But sounds like you are well on your way. Welcome to the site.

Yeah. I found out after the purchase of the shavette it was a difficult tool to use. Too late then. But then nothing like a good challenge.

I haven't had the courage to shave two consecutive days yet, 2-3 days between so far, to allow the cuts, nicks and weepers to heal. Pretty much all healed now so almost ready to try the consecutive day shave.

But the shave is sooooo close. Now 12 hours since the last shave and still little regrowth. I don't have a heavy bluebeard but the whiskers are like fuse wire. Pretty quick to blunt the blade.

Reckon I'll be pleased I got the shavette in a couple of months once I'm more proficient and a bit quicker.:thumbup:

You aren`t the only one who jumped into this head first with a shavette :001_rolle

Coming up on a year for me, can get a decent shave out of almost any equipment so far. The only real issue with a shavette is that it doesn`t transfer over 100% to a real straight. You start at step 3 or 4 (knowing grain direction, stretching, and pressure) but that only gets you 1/2 way to getting a shave with a normal straight (had a couple interesting shaves my first time with a straight, coming from the parker srw).

Best advice I can give is to get a blade sampler (or just order 3-4 choices at a time), find a soap or cream that works for you, and take your time figuring it all out (sounds like you're well on the way). It only gets better with time and experience :thumbup1:

Welcome. I tried a straight but not shavette. However, the honing, etc. was too much so I just stick to a DE.

S

Sydney Guy

Nice to see another Aussie convert to the cause! You may already be aware that the Aussies hang out at the Great Southern Land social group, which you can find under the "Community" tab on the top toolbar, or bookmark the following URL:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=25

We're a friendly bunch and it's a great source of info on where to get shaving supplies in Oz.

You started shaving with a G II in Australia? I'm in a similar age bracket to you and the first cartridge razor I remember seeing was the Contour coming out in the late '70s. I didn't think the Trac II/G II was ever released here.

Top Bottom