What's new

Derby Shavette Razor for Newbie ?

I am considering the straight razor approach to shaving. I have been wet shaving for about a year now with a variety of DE razors and am now considering trying out the straight razor method.

I noticed that I can get a Derby Barbers Razor (which is a shavette) for around $6.75 or for $11.50 with 100 derby blades.

The shavette advantage is that I can concentrate on the shaving rather than the stropping and honing just to see if I like it and I don't cut myself up too bad. The price is attractive as I wanted to try it all on the cheap.

I have cheap and high quality DE razors and understand the difference between them. I don't have to have a razor that will last generations or to show to anyone. I just want to try it out (on the cheap). If I like it I can start investing in higher quality traditional straight razors.

Nonetheless, Is shavette shaving much different than true straight razor shaving ??

Any comments on my approach ?

I am considering the straight razor approach to shaving. I have been wet shaving for about a year now with a variety of DE razors and am now considering trying out the straight razor method.

I noticed that I can get a Derby Barbers Razor (which is a shavette) for around $6.75 or for $11.50 with 100 derby blades.

The shavette advantage is that I can concentrate on the shaving rather than the stropping and honing just to see if I like it and I don't cut myself up too bad. The price is attractive as I wanted to try it all on the cheap.

I have cheap and high quality DE razors and understand the difference between them. I don't have to have a razor that will last generations or to show to anyone. I just want to try it out (on the cheap). If I like it I can start investing in higher quality traditional straight razors.

Nonetheless, Is shavette shaving much different than true straight razor shaving ??

Any comments on my approach ?

That's a good way to get started, that's how I got started. The 1 shavette and 100 blades is a great deal! I agree that the shavette is a good way to see if you like straight shaving, however, in my opinion and others as well, there's more of a chance of cutting yourself with a shavette.

Is there a website where you found this straight? Or was it in a store?

http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Derby_Razors_RazorBlades_Creams.html

I bought a razor from them and blades on two separate occasions. They had good prices and good service.

Since I posted, i believe that I am leaning towards the Parker version of a shavette. That version costs just slightly more but has a Stainless blade holder. It gets a little better reviews. Still I like the idea of a shavette to get started.

Last edited:
That's a good way to get started, that's how I got started. The 1 shavette and 100 blades is a great deal! I agree that the shavette is a good way to see if you like straight shaving, however, in my opinion and others as well, there's more of a chance of cutting yourself with a shavette.

Yeah, I too found the shavette less forgiving (I have a Dovo Shavette) than a straight razor. It's probably because the traditional straight is heavier.

I did a similar progression, starting with a Parker SR1 handle using half-DE blades in it.

A couple notes I can offer:

Most importatnt is probably to get a stainless holder rather than Aluminum to mitigate the weight issue - that and price is why I went with the Parker instead of the Dovo since the only Shavette I handled in person was AL and way too light although I know Dovo does make a steel version as well.

Second would depend on the blades. The half-DE holder I got leaves a protrudung corner of the blade within the length of the holder and I carved myself up with that corner a couple times before switching to a real straight. The barbershop-style derbies may not share this concern since I'm guessing they're longer to begin with.

The biggest surprise to me was that after using the Parker for about a month to get the angles figured out before worrying about stropping was that using a regular straight razor (I went to a Dovo BQ 5/8 full hollow) was actually easier than the rig I had thought of as "training wheels" going in.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I got the same Derby deal and have had no problems and get good shaves but there really is no weight in the blade holder and that makes you want to apply pressure which is not a good thing.

I'm following the crowd and getting a Parker. The Sanguine looks good but the Parker still looks to be a bit more meaty.

Straights are easier than shavettes but once learned, nothing is that difficult. Shavettes get a bad rep they don't really deserve. People not skilled in using an open blade immediately hack themselves up and write these horror stories rather than taking the time to learn to shave with one. There are probably plenty of people who tried straights and gave up because of the maintenance required but they don't write posts saying you have to be a skilled tool and die maker to sharpen one.

Going from a straight to a shavette isn't all that difficult - mostly getting used to less weight on the blade and a steeper angle. Unlike straights, shavettes are strictly utility items like DE's but they do the job and do it very well and require no maintenance.

I have a derby shavette, used it for a month until i got a real dovo straight. Get a real straight from anywhere honed. Its totally worth it, even if you spend too much. I have had less irritation, less cuts, and a more enjoyable shave. Thats my 2 cents.

I have a derby shavette, used it for a month until i got a real dovo straight. Get a real straight from anywhere honed. Its totally worth it, even if you spend too much. I have had less irritation, less cuts, and a more enjoyable shave. Thats my 2 cents.

Here's that same old story about shavettes and regular straights. The real reason for the difference is that no regular straight will be as sharp as the shavette with its half a DE blade. Someone gets a shavette, any shavette, and when they first start straight shaving it causes them much irritation and nicks and cuts. So they think that its the shavette thats causing the problem. They get a regular straight and the shave seems so much easier, and without the irritation. Its all because the regular straight is not as sharp as the shavette. Its all about your technique. Once you get the technique down and learn to use the shavette, the shaves will be some of the best you can get.

You could almost reverse the use of razors. Start with a regular straight first, and once you get comfortable using the regular, then try the shavette, or better yet either the Feather or the Kai straights. The Feather or the Kai's are a top of the line disposable blade straight that will compare to any regular straight.

Keep in mind that its not so much the razor, regular or shavette, its all about the technique. There is nothing at all wrong with using a shavette type straight. Like any straight razor, its still an open bladed razor. :thumbup1:

Keep in mind that its not so much the razor, regular or shavette, its all about the technique.

And zen. A regular straight has a comfortable charm that isn't equaled by the manufactured blades. I use the Feather series and they are superb but I get much more satisfaction from my 'normal' straights.

Top Bottom