What's new

To Alum or not to Alum...

Newbie looking for advice from some more senior shavers out there. What are your opinions on solid blocks of Alum? Good, bad, drawbacks, benefits, technique, etc? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to know. Please feel free to share your thoughts, we would all be much obliged.

proxy.php

I considered trying it. A cold water rinse and a splash of witch hazel have kept irritation to a minimum and seem to provide me with the benefits that I understand an alum block is supposed to deliver.

I use alum and witch hazel. They are both dirt cheap. I do a slightly warm/tepid final rinse, let it dry for a few seconds, and then I skate that alum block around. It works for me, tightens things up and takes the place of the cold water rinse that some people swear by. I let my face dry with the Alum on, and then I do a rinse with a splash of Witch Hazel, pat dry with a towel, then apply whatever aftershave I'm looking for.

It's probably overkill, but I like the routine, I like the way the alum feels, and I like the way the WH backs it up. My skin always feels great after a shave.

Newbie looking for advice from some more senior shavers out there. What are your opinions on solid blocks of Alum? Good, bad, drawbacks, benefits, technique, etc? I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would like to know. Please feel free to share your thoughts, we would all be much obliged.

proxy.php
I found a tip on a straight razor shaving video ... and now I use alum to increase the traction on my fingertips when pulling my skin one way or the other. Just a touch of alum releases the soapy sliding around and gives great traction.

~Eric V

Been shaving for over 40 years. Since switching to DE, I've tried an alum block a few times but no longer use it. A cool rinse, followed by a splash of witch hazel (one with alcohol) is sufficient for me. I even stopped using after-shave balm. I've found that the less I put on my face, the better it feels. For the rare weeper or nick that continues to bleed after the WH, I use a powdered alum, but I guess an alum block might work for that too.

proxy.php

I forget to use it, quite frankly, even if I cut myself. It has sat at the lavatory so long I wonder if it is still safe to use (mold and mildew).

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I've been using one recently, and I've noticed the intense skin tightening properties of the Alum. I guess my main concern was whether or not I may be causing any damage to my skin? But things seem fine so far, figure people have been using them forever, so I'm sure they must be safe.

Thanks again

I found that it dried my skin and made it feel itchy so I stopped using it years ago. Now its wash off my face with a wash cloth dipped in warm water to get rid of all of the remaining lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of WH. I use Thayer’s Rose Petal or Lavender WH. They are alcohol free and do not sting when they go on but provide soothing relief to my skin.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use the Osma alum block after every shave. In addition to providing feedback on your technique (even if no nicks or weepers are visible, you have still scraped a sharp blade over your skin), alum in also an astrigent which is good for your skin. Just ask SWMBO

http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Olive-Oil-Cruet-Bottle-Cork-Stopper-Vintage-Style-/320636898789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa772cde5#ht_1456wt_905[/url]

Something about a vintage setup to me feels so good! :thumbup1:

:001_tt1:

I haven't used an Alum block, but I use WH and it works nicely for me.

proxy.php

This is precisely the alum block I've been using for the past month. I find that my face seems very dry after I use it (but that could be the time of the year, not the alum). It does seem to close the pores and reduce tighten everything up nicely after I shave. I've used witch hazel some days instead of alum, and occasionally I've tried them both. The witch hazel seems to leave my face less tight and dry feeling, but the alum seems to do a better job of closing my pores.

Top Bottom