What's new

VDH: I dislike your smell, but I love you.

It ain't Burma Shave--I have a puck of that stuff under the sink that I won't touch because it smells bad just to open the box...Van der Hagen just makes me go 'okay, spritz with body spray afterwards', and I think it might make a nicer lather than Col. Conk does! Now I just have to wait a year and a half to finish these three pucks of soap (2 VDH that came with the kit from CVS [my boyfriend gave me his {I'm cheap}], 1 Col. Conk Lime). :w00t:

Then it's on to fancy triple-milled! *pets her stash of Pre de Provence guest soap and Crabtree and Evelyn* :thumbup:

You can try to melt down the VDH and mix in a few generous drops of your favorite perfume or body spray to make it smell a bit better.

Yeah, I couldn't do VDH because I just couldn't stand the smell either. I wish I could because it is a great soap.

VDH does work well! Being my first soap and not having any other good options locally, IMHO I found VDH to have a rather nice and simple scent, much better than Williams. However that may change now that I am starting to get some of the better soaps online. :biggrin1:

I can't stand the smell of VDH either. But what I do is load my brush up, then put some old spice AS in my mug, then continue to build my lather. I get a nice smelling lather that way.

VDH smells just like Grey Flannel. Guess there are no Grey Flannel fans on this thread. :tongue_sm I've been having GF in my rotation for 25 yrs. My wife loves it :thumbup1: The VDH does perform well for a "value soap".

I also could not stand the smell of VDH. I chucked my puck in the trash because the smell bothered my nose for the rest of the day. It was the most adverse reaction to any shaving product's smell that I have ever had. :glare:

I've done some test lathers with the VDH I picked up and boy does it lather easily and makes some very slick stuff. Not a big fan of the smell either.

Will have to try it soon though just to see if the smell bothers me during the shave.

Charlie

Just melt it in the microwave, stir in a teaspoon of your favorite A/S, and use it.
A lot of us use it this way with Old Spice, we make it Van Der Spice.

VDH does work well! Being my first soap and not having any other good options locally, IMHO I found VDH to have a rather nice and simple scent, much better than Williams. However that may change now that I am starting to get some of the better soaps online. :biggrin1:

...just had to throw that in there, huh? :angry:

(I'm kidding)

Which variety of vdH are you refering to (Select, Deluxe, Glycerine)?

Thanks,
Mike

No idea. It came in the CVS kit with the bowl and brush (I wanted the bowl and another brush) so maybe the deluxe. It's opaque with a slightly pinkish tinge.

Lots of haters on this thread.

I LOVE the smell of VDH. It's a great scent. I'm not being sarcastic.

I can see how it would be suboptimal for a woman, 'cause it's a man's scent. But I can't see why you guys don't like it.

No idea. It came in the CVS kit with the bowl and brush (I wanted the bowl and another brush) so maybe the deluxe. It's opaque with a slightly pinkish tinge.

You're correct. The only soap I've seen in the kit is the deluxe and your color description would indicate that it's the deluxe too.

I used to not like the smell either and now I love it. I think now that I can pinpoint what it smells like (Grey Flannel/violets) I like it more. It's a great soap all around.

Not a fan of the scent either - and I figure that if I hate the way a soap smells, there are 20 other soaps just waiting for a chance to get used. Life is too short to waste with products you don't like.

My mom likes the smell, apparently.

And I don't dislike the smell enough to not want to use it. I'm thinking about swirling it up with some Col. Conk Lime and see how that goes. It seems like it'd be a good idea to me.

Top Bottom