What's new

Cost effective way to try blades?

I just got into wet shaving about a week ago and along with my purchase of a razor, I ordered a blade sampler, which contained Bic Chrome Platinum, Shark Super Chrome, Dorco 301, Dorco 300, Treet Carbon Steel, 7 a.m. platinum, Sharp stainless, Astra superior platinum and Derby extra.

So far I tried Derby, Dorco 301, Shark and Sharp.
Obviously because my skill is not on the flat part of the learning curve yet, I cannot make a good decision about which blade would be good for me.

However, I am getting concerned about how to get more blades to sample.
The sample pack cost me about 18 bucks and it looks like other sample packs invariably contain a few overlapping brands as the ones included in the pack that I purchased.

What is the cost effective way to sample different kinds of blades? Should I just bear the overlap as a cost of sampling and order other sample packs that I find on Amazon or other shaving product sites? I am just a student and the initial setup already cost me far more money than I would normally spend in 3 months, apart from grocery. I know it's just an initial investment, so that's fine, but ordering a whole lot of blades that I will end up using only a few of seems like a cost that is difficult for me to bear.

Is there a procedure that a new DE wet shaver should follow to sample blades at low cost?

At this point, I'd just order 50 of whatever blade works best for you.
Spend 4 or 5 months focusing on improving your technique, then you can go back and sample again, see if your new skills change anything.

Have you found a blade you find acceptable yet? Have you been trying one and one and one? Have you tried the grocery store blades?

I haven't ordered blades yet because grocery store blades are nice, as are walmart wilkensons, and I got some Dollar General Dorco's to try. I like feather, gillette 7am, KAI and a few others, and want to try the Personna medical prep blade. I'll order a box of what is a good price that I like.

Phil

Trust me when I say this. Finding the right blade that compliments not only your face but the particular razor(s) you use is a very slow walk.

Me personally, I can't tell how good or bad a blade is unless I've been shaving with it for a couple of months. And if you're new, you'll need something to compare it to. This means you'll be shaving with another blade for a couple of months. So if you are actually shaving with one particular blade for that long, it kinda makes the sample packs irrelevant. At least in my eyes does.

There's already some good advice in this thread already posted by others. This is just my 2 cents. Take your time and have fun with it. :thumbup1:

If/when you do decide you want to sample more blades, RazorBladesAndMore.com has very reasonable 5 and 10 pack prices for many popular blades, allowing you to more-or-less put together a custom sampler pack. You can contact David for First Class shipping (website defaults to Priority) to save a little there, and there's a 5% off coupon code (BADGER) that is still active. You'll still pay more per-blade than a bulk buy, but it's about the best way to sample blades if you know what you want to try and what you don't.

Thank you for all your advice.

The last one I tried is Dorco 301 and it seems acceptable to me.
Of course it may just be my skill improving a bit.

I will try the other brands in the pack I have for a while without worrying too much about it then.

A lot of people like Derby Extras, and you can get 100 blades, shipped, for less than $10. If you want to go the route of sticking with one blade while you're developing your technique, try the Derbys in your sampler and, if you find them acceptable, get 100. That should last you at least a little while! :001_smile

Compare the cost of your blades vs. the current Gillette Fusion et. al offerings. We are talking about 1/10th the price for your blades.

Mystery, if you really are on a budget there are many people here who probably would be willing to PIF you a blade or two of brands you're considering.

The problem with going through multiple sampler packs is that you're going to waste a lot of time on subpar or unpopular brands when, in reality, the vast majority of users here at B&B favor a pretty narrow range of brands (Feathers, Israeli Red Personnas, Astras, Derbys, Super Irridiums, Gillette Yellows, Greens, Blues and Bleues, Crystal Israelis, Medical Personnas, Bluebirds, Lords, Kais, Sharks, etc.)

If you'd have to get multiple overlapping sampler packages to get all of these brands, you might instead want to post in the "Wanted To Buy" section of the site stating you'll paypal a dollar or two to handle shipping for someone who might be willing to send you 1-2 blades of 5 different brands you specify.

I myself would be willing to PIF you a Super Irridium, a Bluebird and a Crystal Israeli if you're interested.

Jeff in Boston

Top Bottom