What's new

Your most aggressive safety razor and blade combo

What is or was your most aggressive safety razor and blade combo to date.

Mine was experienced with tonight's shave. It was a Gillette "Old Type" (1924) mated with a NOS Fan blue steel razor blade. That old razor let me experience quite a bit of that sharp, Swedish Steel blade. And it was the closest shave I've ever gotten:ohmy:.

What about the rest of you?

Merkur Futur, set at 6.5
Merkur 39C Sledgehammer Slant
Gillette E1 Fatboy, set at 7

All with Iridium Super blades. I find Feathers too rough and short-lived.

Great shavers all!

Codfish

Merkur 45 Bakelite with Feather
Merkur 38 with Feather
Parker 22r with Feather

But why use a Feather when there are smoother blades almost as sharp...

A Futur with a Feather (or a Bolzano, a Timor, a Perma-Sharp Super). Actually, a Futur cranked up with just about any blade is evil. I recently had a 4-pass shave with a Feather in the Futur that was so close...I thought the whiskers might never grow back.

Vintage Barbasol...with any blade....Quite a beast but can provide an ultra BBS shave and double as a potato pealer!!

A Kampfe Star One lather catcher with a Treet blade. This model was being produced as early as 1902, but if mine is correctly matched with the case, it's an edition that was made in 1919. Will take either wedge or standard SE blades.

Right now it's on my come-back-to-it-later-and-figure-it-out list. First three shaves were not disasters, exactly, but I was scraping skin and ending up with irritation. Not even as user friendly as an Open Comb Micromatic, let alone a Gem 1912. Probably a different angle from either of those.

Feeling a little nancy here; my worst experience so far was with my entrusted Vision on the lowest setting with a first time use of a Feather blade. I don't dare imagine what I'd have looked like with the gap wide open...

Now, I managed to get a cut, without feeling a thing. A little scary.

:eek:)
Perkus

Futur wide open with Feather (my favorite shave), I also enjoy the All the MErkur Slants with Feathers, but are MUCH milder than the Futur.

Merkur 37c with a Feather or Iridium. I can get a really close, really smooth shave with this combo if I have 2 or more day's of growth

Top Bottom