What's new

Your most aggressive safety razor and blade combo

Merkur 39C with a Feather blade. I have used this razor a few times since I got it a couple of years ago and every time I have drawn blood. I got it as I understood it to be ideal for thick heavy stubble, like mine. (Feathers are definitely the blade for me as any other drags on the first use.) One of these days I will tame the beast.

• Schick Type E Injector
• Schick Twin Blades
• Omega Pura Setola Brush
• Van Der Hagen Soap
• Vintage Old Spice Aftershave

I really underestimated the Type E the first time I shaved with it, and I found out really quickly that this is no ordinary safety razor! The Type E is a beast, but I will learn to tame it!

Last edited:
2011 Muhle R41/Feather. Not a combination for the neophyte or weak at heart. Seriously..............

Merkur Futur cranked past 5 and a Feather is nearly as dangerous.

Fatip Piccolo w/ anything

I had a successful 1st shave with a Piccolo and a new Feather.
For my 2nd shave, I tried a Voskhod and was less careful, thinking the smoother Voskhod would be more forgiving. The result was a couple of nicks and the worst razor burn for over a year

2011 Muhle R41/Feather.

Same for me - it works pretty well :thumbup1:

(Seriously, after yesterday's shave with an Iridium Super in a Red-tip superspeed, I had a bit of stubble and lots of lather left, so I decided to do some buffing with a super-mild Blue-tip - I couldn't even feel there was a blade there, but when I was finished I was covered in tiny weepers! That never happens with an aggressive razor).

I had a successful 1st shave with a Piccolo and a new Feather.
For my 2nd shave, I tried a Voskhod and was less careful, thinking the smoother Voskhod would be more forgiving. The result was a couple of nicks and the worst razor burn for over a year

Glad to hear it, honestly. I've only tried with an Astra SP so far...I was pretty good for the first two passes, but that 3rd ATG pass really chewed me up both times I used the razor. Not just a nick or two, but little bloody patches in multiple parts of my neck and near my chin. I've put the Piccolo away for now, but I'll come back to it, and maybe just stick to two passes for a few shaves.

My Cadet with any blade. I get the feeling I should go on Ancestrydotcom and see if Dr. Guillotine shows up in its family tree. Very close shaves that are, in spots, sub-dermal. I wonder if the designer owns stock in a styptic manufacturer.

1) Merkur Futur (wide open)/ Feather
2t) ATT H-base / Feather
2t) Merkur Slant / Feather
4) Tradere OC / Feather
5) ATT R-base / Feather

Last edited:
1) Gillette Fatboy on 9 + Feather
2) Gillette Slim on 9 + Feather

Pretty sure there is more aggressive out there though (Futur, Vision, R41).

Top Bottom