What's new

Stuck FatBoy

Yes, here we go again. I have a pristine 1961 FatBoy that will dial up to 6. However, while set on 1 if feels like a 9. The disc at the end of the TTO is not perforated so I can not unscrew it like the older ones for disassembly and possible repair. Perhaps the collar is over cocked? If so how is this corrected.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Push the red spring like thing at the number indicator place with a thin small screwdriver or other implement, and then turn the adjuster from 1 down to 9 clockwise looking from the top of the razor- hope that maka sense.

With the dial set on one and the doors open, can you manually move the lifting plate on the bottom of the head up and down?

Stan - I'm glad that your fixed your razor. I saw your post in an older thread that you were using for reference . . . I assume you posted to that thread in error!

One of the top two problems with Gillette adjustable razors is the adjustment tang (the piece with the four fingers) being stuck in its "selected" position. This may or may not be accompanied by the adjuster collar (the piece with the numbers) being stuck as well.

This common problem is solved by soaking and dissolving the crud that has cemented the parts together. Some gentle prying on the tang may be needed, along with gentle rag and plier action on the collar. Soaking will take time.

Many are quick to advise disassembly as a means of fixing this. The stuck parts are assembled between the handle tube and head assembly, and can only be removed after the head assembly is split from the handle. In removing the head assembly, the affected parts will still be just as stuck, and the same solvent and leverage approach will have to be used anyway. Pulling the razor apart won't make these parts magically get loose!

I have repaired 100% of the adjustables that I have seen in this condition without taking the razor apart.

Likewise, I have never seen one over- or under-clocked. While it can happen, it isn't likely! The indicator spring must be purposefully pushed in while the collar is rotated. Not a normal action that is going to happen during use!

The second most prevalent issue is a bound compression spring, which prevents the razor from having its final one-quarter "lockdown" turn after the doors are closed. Again, gunk is the issue and soaking in an appropriate solvent will fix it without the need for major surgery.

It just seems lately that there are a lot of "My Adjustable is Stuck" threads popping up, and many are quick to advise a complete teardown.

While almost any razor can be taken apart, none of them were intended to be! Parts can be stressed, broken, or otherwise rendered unfit for service by the process . . . and new replacement parts are made out of that rare and special alloy, unobtanium!

I would exhaust every means of externally-applied repair methods before resorting to the full teardown, especially on an adjustable!!

(I'll go take my medicine now . . .:blushing:)

Top Bottom