What's new

Poll for cream users.

For all you die hard cream users. As a newbie just trying to learn as much as possible I asked on the soap forum why all the soap users like soaps so much. I got lots of great responses and I learned a lot.

If you favor creams over soaps could you list your reasons? I'm just trying to learn as much as possible.

Last edited:
Assuming a given cream or soap are of equal quality, I enjoy using creams simply because they're so easy to use. On the other hand soaps tend to be more cost effective so that satisfies my miserly side.

I think it's a bit silly to get into arguments about creams/soaps being overall better than soaps/creams, because you're never comparing the same exact product made into two different consistencies. But you'll get people saying creams are slicker or soaps are more cushiony. Your best bet is to splurge a little and get a 4-5 good creams and an equal number of quality soaps and find out for yourself what works for ya.

I tried soaps early on and had a hard time getting a good lather. Whether the problem was me or my water, creams were just easier to use. Before I knew it I had so many creams, I had no interest in trying soaps. Tabac is the only soap I still use occasionally.

I think it's a bit silly to get into arguments about creams/soaps being overall better than soaps/creams, because you're never comparing the same exact product made into two different consistencies.

So there's little similarity between soaps and creams of the same brand (Harris soap vs Harris cream, for example)?

Don

Foyle,

I prefer creams as of right now. I have tried Mama Bears soap and while it lathered wonderfully I just didn't cut it from a moisturizing point. Same goes for ToBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) creams, great lather and great smells but again not the best moisturizer. And while I mean no disrespect to the ToBS comment, you have to remember I live in New Mexico and it's dryer than dry. For me AOS (Art of Shaving) creams seem to be the best. I still want to try some more soaps and creams but right now AOS is just the best for me.

Also If you are up for a little read, I broke down ToBS and also AOS which might also help you see the differences in creams from one to the next.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=183056

Good Luck and Happy Shaving!

I saw that post. That was really fun to read. I'd love to try some AOS sometime.

Funny. I just got a tub of TOBS Eaton a few weeks ago and I thought it was very moisturizing. I was really impressed. My skin is quite dry and add to that to our Wisconsin winters. Just goes to show, YMMV.

Yeah the best way explain it is by mid day say 3:00pm (I shave about 5:45am) I could flake on my skin after using ToBS. However it's about 6:05 and my cheeks still feel like I have lotion on even though it just the AOS. I love it :w00t: oh and yardley soap for washing hands and showering with. No more gels for me!!!! :001_cool:

somehow the soaps don't give me as much glide or moisturize as well as creams - no matter the lather. and theyre easier to use

I mostly face lather and find applying a thin films directly on face and then lathering with varying amounts of water in brush works the best for me. I like the feel of cream as it is applied and it seems to give me more glide during the shave and more moisturizing at the conclusion. I also like brushless creams when in a hurry or traveling. That said I just got a package with 3 new soaps to try!

Depends on what I'm using. For a straight, I use creams because they are slicker, although KK is the best soap I've used so far as slickness goes and it works well. For DE it doesnt matter as much, to me. But soaps are usually cheaper per shave, and fun to use. Also, while the new Pen's soaps are terrible, the creams are decent. Hope this helps. There is no "better or worse." It also depends on your brush. You need a brush with decent backbone for soaps. I have a vulfix that I love, but its strictly creams only. So, it depends, which is the answer you will probably get for 98 out of 100 people you ask

I have only been wet shaving for a little while, and I only have a half dozen creams/soaps/tubes. You know who you are, those of you who can't even count your stuff! Anyway, I started hand lathering, then face lathering, and found it difficult with both hard creams and soaps - just makes a mess. Since I got a nice scuttle for Christmas - I am enjoying them all!

I have a cream only rotatation at the moment, but I do wanna buy some soaps. Theirs a lot more creams to buy around here than soap. I do prefer creams also for my dry, flakey skin

Top Bottom