After more than two months, I think I had the best, least irritated shave so far this morning.
Here's what I changed:
- Shaved after the shower. Honestly, I'm not a fan of this, because I'm standing there wet. I always liked shaving before or during the shower, so I could let the shower head do the work in cleaning off all the mess. But maybe the "opening of the pores" thing is really something. Even with "Kyle's Prep" it seems like it's not the same.
- Introduced an aftershave splash into the routine. So, for the last two days, my post-shave plan has been:
- Witch hazel (regular or superhazel)
- Aftershave splash (Dominica Bay Rum, which I don't love, but it fades fast)
- A very small amount of ASB (Feather Kanwa or Gentlemen's Refinery The Standard)
Additionally, I have circled back to IPs, having now tried all of the blades from the West Coast Shaving sampler. I also didn't monkey around with alum or pre-shave oil.
Still not perfect, particularly around the jawline and bottom of my chin. But close and not painful. Tomorrow, I might cut out the ASB, since it seems slightly unnecessary and adds a little shine to my face.
I may be getting the hang of this.