What's new

Need Pipe Tobbacco Suggestions

Gents... the past few weeks I started my pipe smoking adventure and have been strictly smoking drug store pouch tobaccos. I know at this point Capt. Black-White is my favorite. Half & Half and Prince Albert were much to harsh for me... I know for now I am an Aromatics man.

I am ready to move up to better aromatic tobaccos. I have looked at the myriad things available and I am lost in the sheer volume of what is out there. I am looking for something fairly decent, perhaps a tin in the $10 - $15 dollar range.

I need suggestions for a mild to medium aromatic with a very pleasant room note (My wife is gracious enough to let me smoke in the house). :thumbup:

Thanks!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Most serious pipe smokers will thumb their nose at aromatics, but Blue Note is fairly interesting.

My favorite offerings are the McClelland Virginia tobaccos... you may want to try with some McCranie's Red Ribbon or McClelland Bulk 5100; both are stellar in my opinion.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If your local shop doesn't carry any McClelland Virginia tobaccos, just load your bowl with anything, pour in a tablespoon of ketchup, and light. :thumbup1:

If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

Scotty's Butternut Burley
C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic

Last edited:
If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Most latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

Scotty's Butternut Burley
C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic
+1 on the Lane suggestions. In fact, I smoke a 50/50 blend of Lane 1-Q and BCA and I get no end of compliments on how good it smells.

I know guys who have smoked Capt'n Black for many years, and wouldn't try anything different. Can't stand the stuff myself. I rarely smoke aromatics, but Erinmore flake is ok as a change of pace, every now & then. Same with Samuel Gawith Firedance. Not bad for a mild berry flavored flake of quality tobacco. Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake starts with very nice tobacco before adding a mild top note. I think if you go with a flake you are generally ok. Aromatic ribbons tend to smoke hot and goopy. YMMV.

There are some quality aromatics some of which have been mentioned. I'd second the butternut burly and Autumn Evening. Also take a look at the flake suggestions from SG and G&H although SG can be hard to find. You should know that berry flavors really ghost a pipe as well as the floral flakes so you should think about getting a cob for tasting, that way you don't get a flavor you don't care for suck in your favorite pipe. Also take a look at C&D's, the maker of Autumn Evening, other aromatics as well as Pipeworks and Wilke, both use good quality tobaccos and natural flavorings.

I like a broad spectrum of tobaccos, while high octane straight tobac is my my standard fare, I equally enjoy my flowery Lakeland flakes, and have a GBD devoted to Firedance. I encourage you to experiment and try a variety of styles, my wife doesent mind most of my English and Orientals. However if aromatics our your thing then good for you, and you can take some solace that many of those who might look down upon the breed are shivering while you're enjoying the comfort of your home in the company of your wife.:sailor:

Question on phone to tobacconist: Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
Answer from tobacconist: Yes
Response from caller: Then let him out! My long gone Grandfather who owned a Confectionary/Stationery store in the 1920's-1950's used to get that as a crank call from kids all the time.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The best Aros I have smoked have been Boswells aromatics. They are not your typical goopy tobaccos and actually have flavor. You can only buy their stuff from them, and you can't order online, you need to call them, but they are very easy to work with and it's definitely worth it. www.boswellpipes.com

May I suggest 2 tobaccos from the house of Samuel Gawith:

Best Brown Flake - Virginia
Squadron Leader - English blend of Latakia, Virginia, & Turkish

If you must go aromatic:
BCA (Black Cavendish Aromatic) by Lane

MacBaren offers two of my favorites:
Mixture
Virginia No. 1

I dont think you could wrong with any of these choices. They "taste" excellent and have pleasant room notes (dont smell bad).

I suspect that many "advanced" smokers started with aromatics then moved on to English style mixes. If they were battling some of those PG soaked bowl burblers out there I can understand their disdain of the aromatic genre. My taste in tobaccos is fairly catholic and I still enjoy good aromatics.

My recommendation to you is 4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher. It offers a good Burley taste with some nice Virginia, just a touch of Latakia and it burns well with a pleasant room note. And because of the fact that there's actually something to taste here I think it helps new smokers slow down a bit and not smoke "hot."

Thanks for all the recommendations. I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much. I suspect eventually I might move away from them as my palatte changes.

I can't help you with aromatics but here are my favorite tinned blends:

AC Petersen Escudo
Dunhill Light Flake
Dunhill Nightcap
Esoterica Penzance
Orlik Golden Sliced

Thanks,
Mike

Try Mick McQuaid plug or square cut (in tin).

Plug is just a big square block of 50g that you need to cut/rub before you smoke it. I simply peel them off from the side rub it a bit then leave it to air for 5 mins before I smoke it. Very nice and does not burn.

:thumbup1:

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thanks for all the recommendations. I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much. I suspect eventually I might move away from them as my palatte changes.

There is nothing wrong with aros. There are some pipesmokers that like to puff up there chest and tell others that they are subpar, and while there are aromatics that are the pipe smoking equivalent of gooey shaving gel there are others that are quality tobacco andcan be quite delicious depending on your pallet. If flavored tobacco are your thing right now enjoy them and if your pallet changes embrace those new flavors.

I had no idea that aromatics were frowned apon so much.
They've gotten a bad reputation because of some bad blends and some ghosting. Every aromatic isn't bad, just like every cartridge, glycerin soap, inexpensive brush isn't.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. There's no need to 'move on' if you like what you're smoking. Keep an open mind, try a wide range of things, and judge for yourself. As previously mentioned, some long time pipe smokers swear by Captain Black.

Top Bottom