What's new

Need Pipe Tobbacco Suggestions

I am an English smoker myself, but I have blended some with an aromatic called Black Walnut. 4 oz to the pound. I preferred using Dunhill Early Morning Pipe till it's demise as the base.
Mac Baren Tobaccos might be a good choice for you.

The Dark Twist is pleasant. But I prefer Scottish Mixture.

Anothe suggestion...if you liked the Capt. Black, try MacBaren 7 Seas Regular...it a newer blend and will give you the taste of the Cat. Black with a high quality tobacco...giving it a much richer flavor

Do yourself a huge favor and order from boswell pipes. They make Making mixes Me ship them out. I'm 29 and smoke pipe on weekends and such. They have every damn smell flavor scent whatever you wanna call it. Plus he made me a huge bowl wizard style pipe in the color I wanted and everything. Hands down by far the best place on the planet .. and they keep your name on the computer and what you Baught so all you have to do is call and say replenish my Fav tobacco and sent right put. Great people

You are getting some good suggestions as to what to try. Since you may be tempted to try some other drugstore brands, I'm going to suggest one aromatic to stay away from.

Under no cirucumstances, ever, should you smoke Mixture #79.

Truly the most dreadful pipe tobacco devised by man, it will linger in any pipe it's burned in. It's vile. Don't say I didn't warn you. If you're jonesing for a smoke and the only tobacco in the only store in town is Mixture #79, buy it, remove the pouch, dump the tobacco, discard the pouch, then shred the box and smoke that.

*Update

I placed an order for some Escudo and Autumn evening last night after a friend introduced them to me with a sampler. Unfortunately now all my my drug store stuff mainly tastes like crap to me now. Boy that was a quick transition!

*Update

I placed an order for some Escudo and Autumn evening last night after a friend introduced them to me with a sampler. Unfortunately now all my my drug store stuff mainly tastes like crap to me now. Boy that was a quick transition!

:yesnod: ... which is somewhat saddening to me... my grandfather smoked "Half and Half" and the room note reminds me of him. However, I find the stuff unsmokeable and overly goopy in the bowl.

*Update

Doesn't surprise me a bit - been there, done that long ago. A common story. But if you get the chance do locate a really good tobacconist, the kind that has his own blends and also sells other good pipe mixtures, and set a spell. If any good, they'll enjoy discussing the subtleties and let you try this and that. It's well worth a trip.

- Bill

Doesn't surprise me a bit - been there, done that long ago. A common story. But if you get the chance do locate a really good tobacconist, the kind that has his own blends and also sells other good pipe mixtures, and set a spell. If any good, they'll enjoy discussing the subtleties and let you try this and that. It's well worth a trip.

- Bill

I see you are in Atlanta... do you know of a good shop in the metro area?

I see you are in Atlanta... do you know of a good shop in the metro area?

Edward's up in Buckhead is the only one I know of. They have a decent estate pipe collection there too - bought a Castello Sea Rock there a few years ago and it was a real beauty. Good group of guys. There might be another shop elsewhere but most of the other shops I know about are cigar shops with very little pipe knowledge.

You can just take a road trip to McCranie's!

Edwards is good if you want bulk tobacco but I find their tin selection very limited. They are very nice and knowledgeable as well.

Puff N Stuff on the other side of town is mainly a cigar store but they have an impressive tin selection.

If you ever road trip to Birmingham you have to check out The Briary. They have it all.

The Briary is indeed a great pipe shop. Sadly, there really isn't a place in Atlanta you could call a "complete" pipe shop a la Briary or McCranie's. It's been that way for years too...

Try Pipeworks & Wilke up in Vermont. Carole's aromatics are fantastic, and not too sweet, but delicious for the smoker. She is great to work with, and everything is top quality. Never harsh, and very pleasant room notes, you will love these tobaccos. My absolute favorite is Pipemaker's Blend-- it is a light aromatic with a touch of English, and it is so pleasant and the room note is so exquisite that you just might fall in love. My only hesitation is it may not be absolutely right for someone new to pipes, but again the aromatics here are pretty grown up, and are not hot, rough, too sweet.

Last edited:
No. They ARE bad. For smoking that is. Aromatics ONLY exist for the sake of the non-smoker (actually for the sake of the smoker who is tire of being told to stop smoking or go outside.) Aromatics were NOT designed to be a good tasting experience for the pipe smoker. A true pipe smoker wants the taste of the tobacco-not the tobacco mixed with chemicals for the sake of the bystanders. You don't see cigar smokers enduring a worse smoke for the sake of pedestrians do you? No way. Stick with straight tobacco-tastes MUCH better.

No. They ARE bad. For smoking that is. Aromatics ONLY exist for the sake of the non-smoker (actually for the sake of the smoker who is tire of being told to stop smoking or go outside.) Aromatics were NOT designed to be a good tasting experience for the pipe smoker. A true pipe smoker wants the taste of the tobacco-not the tobacco mixed with chemicals for the sake of the bystanders. You don't see cigar smokers enduring a worse smoke for the sake of pedestrians do you? No way. Stick with straight tobacco-tastes MUCH better.

AXIOMS :001_rolle How I HATE them.

Don’t be AFRAID to expand YOUR horizons . But PLEASE smoke what YOU like and don’t let ANYBODY tell YOU what you SHOULD LIKE.

nothing wrong with aro's

these as suggested are good..
Scotty's Butternut Burley
C&D Autumn Evening

I would add take a look at Boswell and Peter Stokkebye both do some nice aro's.

Sunset Breeze & Sweet Killarney, Peterson
Firedance Flake, Samuel Gawith
Sundays Fantasy, Radfords

As a good all around everyday smoke I highly recommend you try some Trout Stream.

I would recommend McClelland Dark Star

Here's the Tin description:
"Years before tinning, this tobacco begins as bright yellow, sugary top grade Virginia and Carolina leaf. Through careful triple aging, pressing and stoving, it becomes rich, cool and dark. A seductively spicy aroma develops during the extended maturing process to complement the complex flavor of this concentrated, smooth broken flake, which is easily rubbed out to suit any occasion."

It is delicious!

I am currenrly enjoying some fine aro's from Milan (located in Roanoke VA).
I especially like Sunset Rum and Wall Street.
Also, try reading some reviews at tobaccoreviews.com. Enjoy!

Top Bottom