What's new

Need Pipe Tobbacco Suggestions

I started "experimenting" this past summer. In addition to these suggestions, there are some great "review" type websites for tobacco. I've only tried a few - McClelland's Aurora, Capt. Black - White, Half & Half (my great uncle smoked it, so I had to try it). I would recommend trying some of the McClelland stuff. I enjoy mine.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If your wife lets you smoke indoors, and you want to continue, then aromatics are the ticket. Latakia and oriental blends will usually get you get kicked outside. Here's a few suggestions for aromatics.

Scotty's Butternut Burley
C&D Autumn Evening
Lane 1Q, RLP-6, BCA
McClelland Town Topic

But they should get you kicked up stairs to the head office. You know what most Latakia blends need? Just a little more Latakia.

Blue Note and Lane 1-Q are tasty. I also am currently working through a tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze and enjoying it. The Sunset Breeze has an amaretto casing, and I do get compliments on the room note while smoking it.

I've read good things online about Boswell's tobacco - and I'd second the recommendation on Mac Baren's Mixture. It's quite good.

From the Mac Baren site:

"Mixture does not consist of one dominant taste, but a profusion of different nuances of flavour that keep changing - all from a single tamp of tobacco. Mixture is a mild tobacco with good body without being strong. This is an important reason why Mixture is the preferred brand among many pipe smokers worldwide and has been for many years."

http://www.mac-baren.com/BundMenu/Products/Available-tobaccos-in-your-country/Mixture-2.aspx

Their wording is a bit flowery, but the tobacco is flavorful and not overpowering. It's got a wide mixture of Virginias, Burleys, and Cavendish, as well as an added aromatic flavor.

Another suggestion would be to visit a local store and inquire about their house blends - as most are aromatics. You can go from there.....

Tommy Boy

Take your time, experiment with different mixtures. Over time your tastes will change. Don't let anyone tell you what to like. There are very good aromatics out there. Time will tell

I equally enjoy my flowery Lakeland flakes, and have a GBD devoted to Firedance.

Is Firedance Flake still available? I've had the pleasure of meeting June "Firedancer" Starke, the woman for whom that tobacco was created, a number of times at various pipe shows. Interesting lady.

The problem with aromatics and begginers, is they tend to try and get more taste out of the blend by puffing more vigourously. That only leads to tounge burn, especially if it is lower grade aromatics. I started with aro's, but just recently started getting back into quality aro's from time to time when I want a change. I suggest try all the tobacco you can. If you have a tobacco shop, they will let you try the bulk blends before you buy.

Clearly the choices are limitless. If you are fortunate enough to live near a 'real' tobacco store take a few pipes and/or get a few cobs, make an acquaintance with the proprietor and have them guide you.
Samplers are available from some of the blenders ie, Cornell & Diehl (they will chat with you on the phone), Home & Hearth (Russ O), etc
www.tobaccoreviews.com is not unlike this sites reviews, there is rarely consensus but is full of information.
Buying tobaccos can be much like finding the perfect razor/blade combination. Some find what works and the other devil is seeking the Holy Grail in spite of what works.
As usual YMMV, Happy Trails!

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Clearly the choices are limitless. If you are fortunate enough to live near a 'real' tobacco store take a few pipes and/or get a few cobs, make an acquaintance with the proprietor and have them guide you.
Samplers are available from some of the blenders ie, Cornell & Diehl (they will chat with you on the phone), Home & Hearth (Russ O), etc
www.tobaccoreviews.com is not unlike this sites reviews, there is rarely consensus but is full of information.
Buying tobaccos can be much like finding the perfect razor/blade combination. Some find what works and the other devil is seeking the Holy Grail in spite of what works.
As usual YMMV, Happy Trails!

So have you found your perfect blend yet? I'm still looking, problem is I don't get enough pipe time.

Good point Old Saw. At this point I do have several favorites. While I do try new blends entry into the rotation is far less frequent than it used to be. Tastes do change over decades as well.
Saw an interview with one of the big boys at the MacBarens plant. He commented that when smoking was more permissible ie on commute busses, at work etc the blends were sharper (read:tongue bite) as the tongue became inured to the sting. Now that there is less opportunity to smoke as frequently the MacBaren blends have been toned down with the exception of Virginia #1 which even the head honcho winces at.
There may be some distinction between curiosity and a gnawing dissatisfaction.
Jus' sayin'.

I am trying Butternut Burley for the first time based on the recommendations from this thread. I am loving it, can't think of a better beginners tobacco. Great flavor and smokes extremely cool. Very unusual for an aeromatic, definately a must try for new pipesmokers. Wish I had found this years ago, thanks to all who suggested it.

I am trying Butternut Burley for the first time based on the recommendations from this thread. I am loving it, can't think of a better beginners tobacco. Great flavor and smokes extremely cool. Very unusual for an aeromatic, definately a must try for new pipesmokers. Wish I had found this years ago, thanks to all who suggested it.

Based on one smoke, mind you, I can also recommend C&D Autumn Evening.

Hey, this isn't a Williams thread.

That gives me an Idea : A bowel of milled Williams and ketchup. ::001_rolle

I smoke aromatics all the time (Bulk tobaccos from a local tabacco store) and I enjoy them. Autum evening does sound interesting.

I havent tried any of these suggestions, but I am taking notes. Thanks guys!

I second Boswells. I drove up there last Friday and purchased a nice handmade briar pipe, and several aromatic blends. I like the Berry Cobbler and Sweet Dreams. Give them a try.

Top Bottom