What's new

over prepping

I've heard that you can actually over prep your face. Is this true?
As an example, taking a hot shower and using conditioner , then doing a full kyle's prep. I've heard that this can make the face actually swell and become more sensitive and may lead to ingrown hairs. So the advise is to do either shower prep or kyle's prep, but not both.

What are your thoughts?

Anything that wets hair will also wets skin. But they might wet differently. I can easily overprep so my skin gets more waterlogged than my beard, and that means more skin gets scraped off. At that point, I can scrape skin off with a finger nail, assuming that's not also waterlogged.

I tried the whole prep thing early on. Now I just wash my face with soap and warm (not hot) water, rinse, then lather and shave. I don't find all the other prepping makes the shave any better. I also shower after I shave.

I can't remember the thread, but I think it was on B&B, but it basically said that getting the face too warm can cause the face to swell so much that the hair can get trapped below the skin (similar to using a multi-blade razor) and can lead to ingrown hairs. Not sure how much is accurate, but It makes sense in a way.

On the other hand, If I don't take a shower I get a terrible shave, no matter how thorough my prep is.

I went to a hot, but not too hot, splash with a washcloth for about 30 seconds followed by lather then get the rest of my kit together so about 30-60 seconds, then refresh the lather without removing any and shave.

Kyle's prep is awesome, but my face can't take it every day, or even every 2-3 days.

Cold water shaving does not feel good either, but does provide good results, just no pleasure. I can go back to a senser in the shower with just water and have the same results with less fuss. I used to put my face under the shower head and shave under running water for years with passable results, mediocre shaves, and never razor burn.

Phil

Warm shower, leave face wet - shave. Use pre shave oil with straights only. I do like to face lather or massage in a brushless cream.

I did both the shower and Kyle's prep at the same time once and I didn't notice any extra swelling of my face or undue inflammation. Neither did I notice any significant beard softening. There may have been a little extra softening but not enough for me to warrant the extra effort.

I would reserve Kyle's prep for the purpose for which it is intended. Pre-shower or without a shower. If you like to shave pre-shower it should work well. I personally like my shave to be the final step in my morning routine so Kyle's prep is not for me.

What did enflame my face and irritate my skin yielding a very poor shave was using very hot water for prep and shaving. I stick to nice warm water post shower and everything is good.

Top Bottom