What's new

Vacationing in New Orleans: Suggestions

Hey all,

I had a thread going earlier about posting some vacation ideas, and got a bunch of great suggestions. After reviewing our budget, time off, etc, SWMBO and I decided to spend 5-6 days in the Crescent City this summer (7/9-7/15ish)

Anybody from NO, or spend a good amount of time there?

We are interested in doing whatever, but not really hurricane swilling types. We'll be eating at Commander's Palace and Emeril's for certain. Any other good restaurant suggestions?

We'll be staying downtown, close to the Quarter and will have my car to access whatever we want to do.

Give me some cool ideas (bayou tours, etc) for things to do!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hey all,

I had a thread going earlier about posting some vacation ideas, and got a bunch of great suggestions. After reviewing our budget, time off, etc, SWMBO and I decided to spend 5-6 days in the Crescent City this summer (7/9-7/15ish)

Anybody from NO, or spend a good amount of time there?

We are interested in doing whatever, but not really hurricane swilling types. We'll be eating at Commander's Palace and Emeril's for certain. Any other good restaurant suggestions?

We'll be staying downtown, close to the Quarter and will have my car to access whatever we want to do.

Give me some cool ideas (bayou tours, etc) for things to do!
Tony:
You & the Mrs. gotta spend some in the the French Quarter :thumbup:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/

Christopher
proxy.php

My wife is from N.O., so I've been down there many times.

You'll have a car? Go to Mosca's. Let me repeat that: You'll have a car? Go to Mosca's.

http://www.moscasrestaurant.com/

Another favorite of ours is the Praline Connection. (Fried chicken livers. Mmmmmm!)

http://www.pralineconnection.com/

Everyone goes to Acme oyster bar in the Quarter, but Felix's across the street is just as good and less crowded.

Commander's is an institution, obviosuly. As for Emeril's, I've never been there, but from what I've heard it really shouldn't be on the top of your list. Maybe others who've been there can comment.

I know there are a few real New Orleans guys here who can help you more than I can, but if I think of anything else I'll post more later.

I love NO!

I've only been there on business so I'm not familiar of the "have to do's" but I know where the "have to eats" are at. Bourban street.........Acme Oyster and right next door is a good steak place I forgot the name though. You have to do Acme Oyster, just sit at the bar and keep the food coming. I killed 8 dozen oysters on my last trip!:thumbup:

There's a beautiful Cathedral there too! Beautiful place and plenty of things to see and do around there.

Haven't been there since 1993, but at that time Bourbon street was scary/dangerous after midnight.

Most fun was at a karaoke bar.

Hurricane drinks are powerful and come in "categories" just like real hurricanes. What surprised me was that when you order one they ask "here or to go" and you see lots of people on the street holding a drink. (EDIT: I see you are already aware of Hurricanes!)

For daytime entertainment I found many interesting stores. At the time I focused on antique shops and art galleries. There were enough to keep me busy. I still have a very nice framed, signed and numbered print I got for a real good price -- the only kind of price I was willing to pay at the time!

I suspect any restaurant you go to will be good. All the ones I visited were.

Last edited:
Have fun Tony. I have not been to NO in years but have gone to most of the places suggested. I did not think Emeril was anything special.

Have fun Tony. I have not been to NO in years but have gone to most of the places suggested. I did not think Emeril was anything special.

But Commander's Palace IS. I've played music in some of the best resturants/hotels in North America and I've never been anywhere that compares to the food and service (ESPECIALLY the service) at Commander's Palace.

Camellia Grill is an institution, they just opened a new one in the quarter (Ive not been there, but it looks the same as the original).

Willie Mae's is THE place for fried chicken if you don't mind driving into a bad area. It's only open from 11am-3pm on weekdays (or something like that, call for hours) as its in a very not so good area.

Popeye's of course

Mandina's is good as well... Like Commander's, good food high price.

Cafe Maspero has good sandwiches, though a bit expensive.

If you are looking for a good burger there is Port of Call (which also has excellent pizza)

Tower of Pizza is one of the best, if not the best pizza place, however it is a bit of a ride from the city (maybe 10-20 min depending on traffic). Its actually located Metairie.

Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets are a must.

Magazine street is nice if you like boutique type shopping and small restaurants. There is a place on Magazine Street called "Joey K's" which is really really good and affordable.

As for things to see/do:
You've got the Zoo, Aquarium, Insectarium and there are several package deals you can get to see all 3, including a riverboat ride from the zoo to aquarium.

You can also just do a river cruise on a riverboat such as the Natchez or creole queen.

You can take a carriage ride around the quarter which someone will tell you about the history of the city, etc. and it also includes stops at bars such as Lafitte's Bar which has no electricity.

If you will be there on a weekend, you can check out the French Market.

There are also walking tours... a 'Ghost Tour' takes you to 'haunted' places around the quarter, and a 'Vampire' tour that walks you around the quarter as well, both are at 'Rev Zombie's Voodoo Shop'

Other than that, you can just walk around the quarter checking out different things! And have fun!

Last edited:
And for a quick shaving fix you can check out Aiden Gill's on Fulton St. Lots of good stuff there, just don't get a shave unless you like your face attacked with a cartridge razor.

If you're out late and get the munchies, try a Lucky Dog from one of the carts around Jackson Sq.

And for a quick shaving fix you can check out Aiden Gill's on Fulton St. Lots of good stuff there, just don't get a shave unless you like your face attacked with a cartridge razor.

And they have quite the talented lady barbers:001_wub:

A nice selection of wetshaving stuff is there but quite more than what you'll find online. A must visit though.

Any show Trombone Shorty plays at is worth going to.
French Quarter is fun for a while, but the real city outside those few blocks is much more interesting.
Rebirth Brass Band every Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf is must.

Really good suggestions here from what I can tell. New Orleans is a really fun place, and the food and music live up to their reputations. But not every place does. Commander's Palace should probably not be missed. I agree that Emeril's is likely to disappoint as much as please.

And the atmosphere with the architecture of the houses, cathedral, etc. is wonderful. And you may find that you are more of the Hurricane swilling types than you thought you were! I thought the French Quarter in all of its sleaze was worth experiencing, at least a bit, at a time when lots of folks are out on the street.

It has been awhile since I was there, but last time I was there were tours of the devastation. I assume there is still plenty to look at and it is probably something you ought to force yourself to see.

Top Bottom