What's new

DFS or BBS - four passes

Great shave today. Now quick question.
I increased my passes to 4. I find that a NS pass 1st up is not for me. On my neck it is partly ATG and I want to reduce the stubble a bit before hitting it. I think that will totally eliminate the very little neck irritation I am having. I have moved that pass to my last pass.

The question. Do any of you do four passes but not aim for BBS?

I am happy with DFS but part of me says that if I am doing four passes why not get the best shave possible. Will probably stick to four passes and DFS, just wanted to see if there are others out there that do the same.

- Aaron

The general consensus around here, I think, is that BBS is a reward you get, not something you can shoot for by doing more and more passes. DFS is the goal, and after 20 or so minutes, when the hairs have dried and lost their "plumpness" from being hydrated, you could very well end up with BBS.

Thanks for that Jethro, but those experienced enough can get a BBS shave if they want it. I would still only do 4 passes.

My question is for those who can, do you still give it a miss?

I am doing four passes and am happy to get a DFS. If I modified one of my passes I would get BBS but it is a little extra work. Part of me says that if I am doing four passes it should be for BBS, just wanted opinions on that. The easy answer would be to cut down on the passes to get a DFS but I am enjoying putting the NS shave at the end to reduce the hairs on my neck as much as possible.

It's the SN pass on my face that I am trying to avoid. I do it for special occasions, but really don't enjoy it.

- Aaron

I get a BBS shave with four passes on my face. My neck is another story, however. What I have been doing as of late is doing two XTG passes followed by an ATG pass. I have dropped the WTG pass from my neck since it didn't do very much. Then if there is any touching up to do on my neck, I either J hook or blade buff. If I still don't have a BBS shave - I just forget it. However, most often the result is BBS.

I cannot imagine why one would need four passes to get BBS. One properly executed pass is usually sufficient and if a few areas get missed, a simple touch up in the area will deal with them.

I cannot imagine why one would need four passes to get BBS. One properly executed pass is usually sufficient and if a few areas get missed, a simple touch up in the area will deal with them.

One pass? I can't even get a CCS with only one pass never mind a BBS. And I don't have what one would call heavy, coarse facial hair.

I hear guys can do it with a straight or probably a cartridge razor.

I have to do the gradual reduction thing otherwise the regrowth is an issue. I wouldn't go ATG on the 1st pass.

- Aaron

One pass? I can't even get a CCS with only one pass never mind a BBS. And I don't have what one would call heavy, coarse facial hair.

I get close to BBS with 2 passes and a little clean up around the goatee and ears. Another 2 passes to get BBS that only last a couple of hours seems a little rough on the face.

I get a DFS in two passes without fail. I have done four passes on one or two occasions and gotten a BBS, which I define as BBS only if I am without irritation after 24 hours. For my measure, irritation defeats all claims to a good shave. I now do a two pass shave as a rule, with some touching up if required. A four pass shave would be a slow and luxurious process for me and it would require a great deal of attention to my lather as well as the expected diligence in technique. And yes, I would be expecting a BBS for my effort.

I really enjoy reading these threads and opinions of others on what a satisfactory shave is for them.

Some days I tend to spend too much time in quest of a BBS when it isn't really necessary. If I spend quite a bit of time on prep and everything and don't rush at all, it's enjoyable and the results are good, though I still seem to have some minor irritation on my neck. If I'm in a bit of a hurry and rush I can end up with more irritation.

For me, with good basic prep and a good blade I can get a really nice shave (I'd call it DFS for me) with just one pass and zero irritation. If I add an ATG pass I can get BBS on my cheeks, and if I add a couple more passes to a couple of trouble areas on my neck and at my lower jaw line I can get BBS there too, but usually get a little irritation. I have a pretty heavy beard that grows relatively quickly. With a BBS I end up where I would be with just a one pass shave 8-10 hours later.

Like many, I can obsess about getting a BBS just because it seems like the ultimate goal. I'm thinking that I am going to probably start aiming for a solid DFS most days though and save the BBS for occasions that have me feeling like I should be extra spiffy.

I use a straight and 3 passes gets me DFS. That is my usually my daily routine. Then when I do 4 passes (weekend or special date with the wife) I get BBS. My first 2 passes are WTG an the last 2 passes are ATG.

I get close to BBS with 2 passes and a little clean up around the goatee and ears. Another 2 passes to get BBS that only last a couple of hours seems a little rough on the face.

Same here. WTG all over for the first pass, the second pass varies - ATG on the neck and under the jaw, WTG (actually a Gillette Slide) or XTG on the cheeks and chin, ATG under the lip, XTG or ATG on the upper lip. Always close to BBS, at worst I get a CCS, which suits me fine.

If I'm in a hurry, or want to give my face a bit of a rest, I just do my second pass routine. That usually results in at least a CCS, sometimes a DFS.

Shaving got so much better, and a lot less bloody, when I cut back from four passes to two and stopped obsessing over BBS.

I hear guys can do it with a straight or probably a cartridge razor.

I have to do the gradual reduction thing otherwise the regrowth is an issue. I wouldn't go ATG on the 1st pass.

- Aaron

Yes, I do use a straight razor, but in the past I have used a DE and a cartridge, it really does not matter if you take the time and care to do it right. The number of passes or the type of razor used has no effect on your beards growth rate, so it will have no effect on how long the shave lasts as long as you get it close enough.

If you have a very light beard, you might be able to get BBS with one pass, but most guys require more. I usually end up doing 4 passes to get BBS or I end up with irritation. Gotta use gradual beard reduction if you want to get to BBS.

It's looking like most guys who get to 4 passes are doing so for a BBS shave. Is there anyone who does 4 passes but not for BBS? I think I have to cut down on the passes.

My current shave leaves me smooth in every direction except SN, or up. Thanks for the answers guys. :thumbup:

- Aaron

I do not limit myself to a single direction per pass. The hair at the base of my neck grows upwards, the opposite to the upper neck. So I do the first pass WTG in whatever direction is necessary. After that I am more flexible.

I am often happy with a 3 pass DFS*. 4 passes should be mostly BBS, otherwise what's the point? 4 passes is my limit without risking irritation.

* Having said that, I have noticed that a DFS sometimes leaves visible hairs. Those low lying hairs may need an ATG pass to get rid of them.

Yes, I do use a straight razor, but in the past I have used a DE and a cartridge, it really does not matter if you take the time and care to do it right. The number of passes or the type of razor used has no effect on your beards growth rate, so it will have no effect on how long the shave lasts as long as you get it close enough.

I assure you that I've tried every permutation possible, but MY skin and MY face do no react well to a one-pass shave. That first pass only slices off the top half of the hairs, I need a couple XTG passes to completely remove them.

Not saying that YOUR beard and skin don't react to shaving differently, but this is what works best for me.

My usual routine is two passes: one WTG and one ATG. If it's the weekend or I have time, I will do more. However, it's more because I like doing it than my shave significantly improves. As far as BBS goes, I'm not sure that I ever attain that. I scrape off all the whiskers, but it requires a real feat of the imagination to think that my hide ever approaches the smoothness of, well, you know. I'm working more for WGR (well-groomed rhino).

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can get DFS with three passes. WTG, XTG, ATG with J hook on neck. If I want BBS I need to spend more time on that 3rd pass, stretching skin etc. and the only difference is the feel. Appearance wise nobody would know the difference. For the most part IMO it is a lot of work, to faceturbate for an hour before my beard starts growing back anyway.

Top Bottom