What's new

Starting out with SEs?

Looking to maybe try an SE, and I'm wondering what's a good way to start. I mean which razor should I try, and what kind of blades (also where to get them) should I get?

I actually have an old Micromatic open comb, but I thought that I'd heard that they were a bit mean. I also thought that I heard Walgreens has some good blades; true?

Thanks guys and gals.

Yep, the GEM blades at Walgreens are some good ones. As far as the razor, each one has a slightly different technique, so I'd just say start with what ever you have. If you like it, try some more. If you don't like it, heck try some more anyway:lol: You can still find most SE models pretty inexpensive so you're never out much.

how to shave[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToCKwSFPax0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Wow, I was just about to edit my post to include the usual "absolutely no pressure" disclaimer, then I see this:blink: I hope he doesn't think he can save like that with a real straight razor, or SE razor, or DE razor. I didn't have the heart to watch until the end, I hope he didn't finish with a big splash of Old Spice or Pinaud Bay Rum.:bayrum2:

If you are buying one, try to get a 1912. I love my micromatic but it is a tad aggressive. All the SE are great shavers and great fun. I think they are the safety razor closest to a Straight. Just be sure you buy SE blades meant for shaving and not as a utility blades. Give yourself a good prep, keep the flat of the razor against your face and go slowly. You are going to love it!

I started with a GEM Featherweight and still love it. They're dirt cheap on eBay- usually under $15 for a NIB one. As for blades, hit the WTB forum and ask for Ted Pella PFTE coated SE blades. They're much better than the walgreens ones!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Just ta let ya know, the SE AD's kicked in pretty hard once I shaved with a 1912. For some reason these razors are very beautiful to me, and they are relatively cheap on EBay. Btw you may find the shave with a SE so good, so smooth, so close- you reach for a DE only for nostalgia's sake.

I find the Micromatic Clog pruf a good way to start , and to finish as its better than the OC for every day shaving.

I'd save the Open Comb Micromatic for a little later. I'd recommend starting with a 1912, or a Micromatic Clog Pruf, or even a "bullet tip" if you are looking for a slightly milder shave. If you master the 1912, you may find no need to look further.

If you want to branch out, once you feel you are getting good results from one of those, then give the OC Micromatic a try.

My advice for what it's worth.

DD

I like SE razors they provide a different shave than a DE and I enjoy using them in my rotation. I like the 1912, MM OC, MM Clog-Pruf. Also you cannot go wrong with an Injector :thumbup:

Well, I just bid on a Gem Junior on the bay. By all accounts they have the same heads as the 1912s I think, and it has a really cool little peice that comes out of the handle that holds a blade, I assume for stropping(?). Can you anyone confirm either? Any more blade recommendations?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Most razors that have the stropping handle are going to be "lather catchers", which predate the 1912 models. GEM had a style called "Junior Bar", that match the LC description. Some LC razors can use modern SE blades, some need a wedge blade. The "Junior", no "Bar", is a 1912 model.
Lather Catchers rival 1912 models in popularity, from what I can tell from the boards.
Post a pic when you can, good luck with the purchase!

As for blades, I always suggest grabbing your friendly neighborhood phone book and call every store that has a pharmacy, especially smaller, less popular stores. You might find a wide selection of blades to choose from.

EDIT: Upon further thought on the subject, GEM might have had a "Junior", no "Bar", Lather Catcher model. I'll do a little digging and see what I find.

Re-EDIT: OK, I can't find any pics for some reason, but I'm pretty confident that GEM dropped the "Bar" on later LC razors, so I was wrong, kind of:blush:
At any rate, good luck. 1912's pop up all the time on the bay, so don't get to crazy about one specific razor, keep checking in and you'll find a good one for <10 bucks, I wouldn't spend any more than that.

Last edited:
So, I feel like a bit of a dolt, but I just realized that I already own 1912 in great shape that's been sitting in the back of a drawer for about a year. I bought it on the bay a while back because it was a decent price and I was in the throes of RAD, and soon realized that I'd been had- the razor is in great shape, but not unused, and the blades that came with it don't match the set, and I'm not sure about the blade brochure. I'm guessing 50's from the box, but I honestly don't have a real clue.

I think I'll use the razor seeing as it has already been used, and if anybody on here is a serious SE collector (like maybe an SE version of Mr-Razor) I'd be glad to PIF the box, brochure, and unopened blades to a good home, especially if someone can complete the set. I've never before or since seen one of these, and haven't found any other info on them.

You mean this Gem Junior, Mr Guy? (photo credit to Napoleon...this is from his post in February)

Nice example! The one in my head has a more "boxy" look to it. None of the curves on the sides of the scoop.

So, I feel like a bit of a dolt, but I just realized that I already own 1912 in great shape that's been sitting in the back of a drawer for about a year. I bought it on the bay a while back because it was a decent price and I was in the throes of RAD, and soon realized that I'd been had- the razor is in great shape, but not unused, and the blades that came with it don't match the set, and I'm not sure about the blade brochure. I'm guessing 50's from the box, but I honestly don't have a real clue.

I think I'll use the razor seeing as it has already been used, and if anybody on here is a serious SE collector (like maybe an SE version of Mr-Razor) I'd be glad to PIF the box, brochure, and unopened blades to a good home, especially if someone can complete the set. I've never before or since seen one of these, and haven't found any other info on them.

That's a really cool set! Any dates on any of the packaging that you can see? Have fun with the shaves, either razor you try first should be good.

Whew! Just had my first shave with an SE and all I can say is "wow!" I used the 1912 and got a really smooth face, and the sharpness of the blade really helped with my neck, which is something I always have trouble with when using a DE. Thanks guys!

BTW how am I supposed to strop these blades without one of those nifty blade holders?

I think that's a GEM Minuteman (1912 Travel razor). I can't really tell; is the blade door curved a bit? Picture added for reference.

attachment.php

Whew! Just had my first shave with an SE and all I can say is "wow!" I used the 1912 and got a really smooth face, and the sharpness of the blade really helped with my neck, which is something I always have trouble with when using a DE. Thanks guys!

BTW how am I supposed to strop these blades without one of those nifty blade holders?

"Wow" is a pretty common response when someone tries a single edge the first time. I am surprised that as long as you've been around here you've never tried one before.

I am a little confused by your question about stropping the blades. Did you use one of the double edge MM blades that came with it?

Top Bottom