What's new

Bevel help

I have a razor I'm trying to hone. The edge is about as sharp as the spine. Taking forever to get a decent bevel! Is there anything, other than time, that can be done?

A 325 is taking a long time? Well, is the razor in decent shape? Could be some kind of problem with the razor and not the hone.

U

Utopian

I have a razor I'm trying to hone. The edge is about as sharp as the spine. Taking forever to get a decent bevel! Is there anything, other than time, that can be done?
More pressure, more torquing of the edge, doing circles or chisel strokes, using slurry, oh--and time! If you are spending a lot of time on the bevel setting then you might want to tape the spine until you have the bevel nearly set.
Others asked about the hone, how about the razor? What is different about this one?

I recently experimented with my newly acquired DMT 325....actually, I had a junker ebay blade that had a decent sized chip in it so I basically flattened it out till it was level with the rest of the blade.....and then taped the spine and proceeded to set the bevel. It took some time but in the end it came out good. Now once my 700 bester and 1K simga power get here I'll continue working my way up with this blade and see what I can get out of it.

The blade I had is supposedly a silver steel blade....it did seem to require more honing than the W&B and henckels I have on hand for practicing.

One important tip, when using sharpening stones that can remove a lot of material in a short time:

if the blade starts to become smaller, the bevel should definitely be set (actually at the point right before that starts happening). If not, there is definitely something wrong.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Taking a long time to get edge on a 325 DMT? Something's wrong. Let me put it this way. It takes me about 20 seconds to put an 18 degree edge on a *** paring knife at work on a vintage 120/600grit carbo hone. If you really need to, you could try under 325. I use a 220 DMT for my coarsest razor work and I can't imagine ever wanting anything coarser (When I need to remove mass material I use 220 or 320 grit belts on power tools). Anything much under 220 on even a decent hone will give you visible teeth... as in the edge will look serrated to the naked eye. That's the kind of aggressive cutting were talking about at these grits. You've pretty close to grain of sand size cutting particles if you step further down in grit.

The blade has never had any sort of edge on it. It's nearly as thick as the spine is. Okay, not so much, but you get my point. Had no bevel of any sort set on it. Just straight and flat. No beveling at all.

Well, really if it's not an unground blank, it has had an edge put on it. If it is literally a blank with an edge almost as wide as a spine (I assumed you were speaking in hyperbole), I'd ask one of the razor makers on the site, but my guess is you'll need at the very least some power tools. Quite possibly you'll want some power tools that the average shop/garage won't have on hand. Maybe 3" wide grinding wheels or something like that. I wouldn't want to try to freehand grind a razor on a 1" wide wheel.

Assuming you were exaggerating...
What's the grind? If it's a wedge, well... yeah, those take a TON of time to hone if you don't use tape... Then as grind increases, it's basically an inverted exponential graph (I forget the term, been a few years since Calculus (edit: I believe the graph I'm thinking of is a graph of a logarithm... sound right?)) of how much work it takes. I can bevel a DD wonderedge (extremely hollow grind) in under a minute from a totally flat edge. A 1/2 hollow Puma will take a lot longer. A near-wedge Fred Reynolds will take a really long time.

Last edited:
Well, I can't be of any help. With my limited experience I have never seen a razor that did not have some sort of edge as a starting point.

I really think a few pics would help here.
Like others have said, even a butter-knife dull wedge should take a resonably sharp bevel in a few minutes using a 325 grit hone.

Something is wrong here.

It is SLOWLY starting to take shape of a bevel. It was really, really dull and unshaped such as a blank would be. Taking a LONG time.

Top Bottom