What's new

How many times have I used this blade?

I know that I can get about 3 shaves from an Israeli blade. I have a couple of different D/E razors that I am using. The problem is, I don't always remember how many times I have used a blade with a particular D/E. Does anyone have a nifty way of remembering? Short of replacing all the blades every Wednesday whether they need it or not or keeping a log (I could just see myself doing that), any suggestions?

Thanks

I change twice a week- three or four shaves is plenty. I would rather toss out an almost sufficient blade than use it.

Occasionally I move blades between razors and keep track of them that way. Keeps me from throwing out blades that still have good shaves left.

Well, not waiting for a response to my earlier question; depending on how you store your razors, you could come up with a simple solution. Let's say your razors are lying flat in a drawer. When you put in a new blade, you put down the razor in a particular orientation, say, straight. After the first shave, you put it back pointing left; after the second shave, you put it back pointing right. If you store your razor in a different way, you might still be able to come up with a scheme that relies on the orientation of the razor. Best - MM

Well, not waiting for a response to my earlier question; depending on how you store your razors, you could come up with a simple solution. Let's say your razors are lying flat in a drawer. When you put in a new blade, you put down the razor in a particular orientation, say, straight. After the first shave, you put it back pointing left; after the second shave, you put it back pointing right. If you store your razor in a different way, you might still be able to come up with a scheme that relies on the orientation of the razor. Best - MM

+1

You could also make sure that when you have used a blade the maximum number of shaves that you intend, you take out the blade right away and store your razors empty. You would then know that you would be putting in a fresh blade immediately before using it for the first time. Just a thought.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I have a stand that I insert them into. I kind of like the orietation idea. I'll try it and sees how it works in practice. Thanks

I'm mainly a straight shaver but have incorporated a DE into my weekly routine so I use a straight 1x a week so that's usually 4x a month so the first time I use a DE at the beginning of the month I change the blade.

I had the same problem with the few razors I have. Instead of switching razors every day and keeping blades in all of them, I've started using a single razor for the 3-5 days I get out of a blade. Then, I dont have any guesswork on which razor has a dull blade or not.

I had the same problem with the few razors I have. Instead of switching razors every day and keeping blades in all of them, I've started using a single razor for the 3-5 days I get out of a blade. Then, I dont have any guesswork on which razor has a dull blade or not.

+1 I use the razor for the full life of the blade, and place it back in the drawer. When I'm running out of clean razors, it's time for a cleaning session. I take all the blades out and dispose of them, properly. Put the razors in a bowl and spray down with Scrubbing Bubbles. Rinse, dry, and replace in the drawer to start the rotation, again.

-Jim

Top Bottom