What's new

how do I remove pitting?

I recently won a (true)wedge on ebay (R. Sutcliffe) witch has some shallow pitting on it. I would normally not bother with trying to remove it, but there is some that is near the edge, from 1/16" to the edge of the blade, keeping me from getting a shave ready edge. I don't own or have access to a bench grinder or a dremmel, & I'm wondering what alternative methods there are for removing these shallow pits near the edge? I'm trying to avoid hand sanding them out. Recently I have been thinking about trying to rig up something to a power drill, but would like to hear some suggestions if anyone has any before I go that route.

Thanks
Louis.

Last edited:
Well you're definitely not leaving yourself open to many options. If the pitting is close to the edge it won't effect your shaving, only unless it's on the edge. Other than to just have it honed and use it. You can also hone it until you remove the pitting but 1/16 is a bit of steel to remove in terms of straight razor size, not difficult in the hands of someone experienced. If it's a 5/8 you may end up with a 9/16 razor.

IMO don't touch anything with drill for such a minor job.

Legion

Staff member
If you dont have a buffer you hand sand. For a long time. Personally, I have learned to love the pitting and have decided that it is just character.

If you dont have a buffer you hand sand. For a long time. Personally, I have learned to love the pitting and have decided that it is just character.

I agree. You don't get to be 100+ years old without some wrinkles, or, in this case, pitting.

+1 a little bit of fault on a razor gives it character especially if it's really old. The most important this is whether the edge is keen. My favourite monkey tail W&B has minor pitting near the edge too but the rest of the razor is perfect. Check it out in the 'stropping' section where I am doing an experiment with this razor.

Agreed, hone it up and see if the pitting is at the edge. If it's not don't worry about it. If the pitting is in the cutting edge, then you (someone) will have to hone on past it to get to good metal.
If it is a true wedge and you start removing pits near the edge, you may a good bit of metal to removed once you start to hone the razor.
I've seen one that someone cleaned up with a bench grinder and wire wheel. They removed pitting from the spine and the edge and left the middle of the blade, not pretty..

If it is 1/16th inch from the edge but not ON the edge, the pitting should not keep you from making it shave ready. If you do wish to remove the pitting, abrasives are the only way to go. But if you go the power route, be aware that you can do a LOT of damage is a small amount of time that close to the edge.

Top Bottom