What's new

Recommend a new razor for me

Long time wet shaver that recently got back into safety razors after a short stint a few years back. I currently have a Super Speed, but I feel like it is not getting the job done. I do multiple passes, but it isn’t getting that BBS shave I’m looking for. I have tried multiple blades including feathers. I have a fast growing and thick beard. I feel confident that my shaving technique and lathering are adequate and just need a better, more aggressive razor to get me that great shave.

What razor would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Try SE shaving! I tried all manner of DE razors from superspeeds to Merkurs to the DE 89L. The Gem razors with the thicker and stiffer SE blades give me superior results to any DE razor I have tried. You can find a GEM 1912 for dirt cheap from the BST or the bay and you can find SE blades at most drug store chains.

I agree with the gentleman above. Thick and fast growing beard sounds like the perfect job for a single edge, either one of the Gem models or an injector.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Another vote for a SE - the Injector is probably easier to use, by a thin margin. Either one can be had for very little outlay.

I had the same experience as you with a Super Speed. It did a lame job. It wasn't until I used a slant (Merkur 39C) that I got a really close, comfortable shave. Although I have to say, I received a '59 Fatboy for Christmas. I'm getting wonderful results from it using a Red IP, and set at "7". This razor is on the way to being my all-time favorite.

I tried SEs. They work very well, and give great results. I just personally prefer a larger razor.

Codfish

Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbup:

I actually have a SE EVERSHARP Hydro-magic Injector Razor. I had a real hard getting the first razor in which I guess is usually the case. Well I tried the razor and it was horrible. A lot of tugging. The shave was uncomfortable and horrible. Gave up on it after one shave.

Wow, the Hydro-Magic is my favorite injector, and I love all of them. What brand of blade was it, and any chance you might have boogered it up putting it in? They will sometimes drag across the blade stops if you're not careful, especially if there's not a blade installed.
Thanks for the help everyone. :thumbup:

I actually have a SE EVERSHARP Hydro-magic Injector Razor. I had a real hard getting the first razor in which I guess is usually the case. Well I tried the razor and it was horrible. A lot of tugging. The shave was uncomfortable and horrible. Gave up on it after one shave.

As for a DE I would definitely try the new Mühle 89 head, either from EJ or Mühle. Not too mild and neither aggressive these razors are great shaving quality items at reasonable cost. Actually they are rather cheep compared to the competition just for looks, fit and finish. Let alone the shave! :thumbup1:

Wow, the Hydro-Magic is my favorite injector, and I love all of them. What brand of blade was it, and any chance you might have boogered it up putting it in? They will sometimes drag across the blade stops if you're not careful, especially if there's not a blade installed.

I use the Schick-Injector blades.

I just tried to change to a new blade Man is it difficult to change a blade. Even with a blade in the shaver. Is that normal? It seems like the hydro magic holds the blades too tightly. There is no easily pushing the hold blade out when the key is in.

When I finally got the new blade in I tried to shave a small section of my cheek. It just feels so much different than smooth DE shaves. I'll try to shave with it again tomorrow morning but I don't like I like the feel of SE shaving.

I use the Schick-Injector blades.

I just tried to change to a new blade Man is it difficult to change a blade. Even with a blade in the shaver. Is that normal? It seems like the hydro magic holds the blades too tightly. There is no easily pushing the hold blade out when the key is in.

When I finally got the new blade in I tried to shave a small section of my cheek. It just feels so much different than smooth DE shaves. I'll try to shave with it again tomorrow morning but I don't like I like the feel of SE shaving.

Don't don't don't shave with it again if it doesn't feel smooth.
Modern injector blade packs just don't work very well. It's easy to scrape the cutting edge.
I feed my modern blades into a vintage injector blade pack and then use it to load my razor.
The first time I tried this, I realized how blade injectors were supposed to work.
On another note, I vote also for a single edge razor. My favorite is the Gem G bar. Cheap, always in perfect condition (how did they do this?) and really smooth and close. No drama.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I love open combs, my go to is a custom from Bobsrazorworks. It is a Bull Mastiff handle with Flaretip knob option, with a short comb new head. That puppy weighs a ton and is super aggressive.

If you want a beautiful razor that is very aggressive.....I vote for that one.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom