What's new

Syms--Allen Edmonds shoes and sale

Thought I would post this here rather than in the "Shopping and Deals" forum--in part because I almost never go over there myself and I assume other another do not eitheer and thus might miss a time sensitive matter, and in part because I am looking for comments, as well as letting folks know about a deal.

Anyway the Syms stores in the Washington, DC area, after months of having virtually no Allen-Edmonds shoes, seem to have gotten in big shipments of them in a few styles. Syms is running a 20% off sale through I forget when, but it ends soon, so we are talking AEs for $144. I am talking traditonal lace-up business-type shoes. (I have not paid attention to any casual AEs Syms might have.)

They seem to have the following styles that I paid attention to, all of which I am sure are discontinued: Powell, Lambert, and Montgomery, and at least one style with sort of a pebble finish and a toe only slightly squared off that I did not care for. Having trouble finding photos to paste into this posting but it is easy enough to find photos on line.

I bought a pair of the Montgomeries in brown before the sale and one in black when the sale got going! Within recent memory I have bought pairs of Lambert and Del Rays (also in black) and a somewhat square toed model with some perforations level with the rest of the shoe that I cannot remember the name of, in black and tan.

What do folks think of any of these styles? Re the Lamberts and the Montgomeries, the toes may be a bit pointy for current fashion, and the Lambert has only two eyelets, and the Montgomery has a rubberized sole, where I would prefer leather (but it still looks from the side with leather, not thick or anything) and the squared off toe one is looking a bit out of style to me because of the toe, but still wearable. The Del Rays even though the stitching on the top is squared off still look quite current to me.

The Powell is interesting with a raised bead of stiching around the top, that looks slightly casual to me on an otherwise business wears shoe. I was just not sure what it would go with for me.

Anyway a good deal on shoes that seem pretty wearable to me, even though discontinued. It seems to me AE is always tweaking styles anc giving them new names, with relatively few changes in the overall style, so even discontinued models tend not to look too out of style.

:thumbup:
Thought I would post this here rather than in the "Shopping and Deals" forum--in part because I almost never go over there myself and I assume other another do not eitheer and thus might miss a time sensitive matter, and in part because I am looking for comments, as well as letting folks know about a deal.

Anyway the Syms stores in the Washington, DC area, after months of having virtually no Allen-Edmonds shoes, seem to have gotten in big shipments of them in a few styles. Syms is running a 20% off sale through I forget when, but it ends soon, so we are talking AEs for $144. I am talking traditonal lace-up business-type shoes. (I have not paid attention to any casual AEs Syms might have.)

They seem to have the following styles that I paid attention to, all of which I am sure are discontinued: Powell, Lambert, and Montgomery, and at least one style with sort of a pebble finish and a toe only slightly squared off that I did not care for. Having trouble finding photos to paste into this posting but it is easy enough to find photos on line.

I bought a pair of the Montgomeries in brown before the sale and one in black when the sale got going! Within recent memory I have bought pairs of Lambert and Del Rays (also in black) and a somewhat square toed model with some perforations level with the rest of the shoe that I cannot remember the name of, in black and tan.

What do folks think of any of these styles? Re the Lamberts and the Montgomeries, the toes may be a bit pointy for current fashion, and the Lambert has only two eyelets, and the Montgomery has a rubberized sole, where I would prefer leather (but it still looks from the side with leather, not thick or anything) and the squared off toe one is looking a bit out of style to me because of the toe, but still wearable. The Del Rays even though the stitching on the top is squared off still look quite current to me.

The Powell is interesting with a raised bead of stiching around the top, that looks slightly casual to me on an otherwise business wears shoe. I was just not sure what it would go with for me.

Anyway a good deal on shoes that seem pretty wearable to me, even though discontinued. It seems to me AE is always tweaking styles anc giving them new names, with relatively few changes in the overall style, so even discontinued models tend not to look too out of style.

There is a Syms a few blocks from my office in downtown NYC. I have over the years bought a few pairs there at about $159 - $169. They only have a few pairs the last few weeks and the ones they had are very similar to what I have. (I have AE Disorder) That being said the shoes are worth every penny. Grab what you can. I am going to check out the store near me soon.

:thumbup:

There is a Syms a few blocks from my office in downtown NYC. I have over the years bought a few pairs there at about $159 - $169. They only have a few pairs the last few weeks and the ones they had are very similar to what I have. (I have AE Disorder) That being said the shoes are worth every penny. Grab what you can. I am going to check out the store near me soon.

<(I have AE Disorder)>

Me, too, perhaps, especially for this/that inexpensive.

I would say that a month ago, the Syms near me had really nothing in the way of AEs. I would say for sure this is a situation where one has to strike while the iron is hot if one wants to make sure of getting anything. Syms may or may not have anything worthwhile a month from now in AEs.

A year or so ago the prices were even better and I would have said it looked like Syms would never run out!

I agree that they have really managed to keep up their quality and are great business wear shoes that rarely seem to go out of style, or at least go out of style quickly!

Thanks for the heads up, Robbie. I ordered a pair of Montgomeries direct from AE in early December, only to exchange them for a pair of Memphises (Memphi?) I liked the sole better on the Mont. (rubber, but without aggressive patterning), but couldn't come to terms with the elongated toes nor the narrow toebox. The Memphis fits me better, but has the more aggressive sole that I was hoping to avoid. On the whole, though, I like some of the subtle stylistic differences that can be found in AE's line.

Of course, I'll likely turn my "sole concern" into justification for grabbing a leather-soled model one of these days... :biggrin:

Thanks for the heads up, Robbie. I ordered a pair of Montgomeries direct from AE in early December, only to exchange them for a pair of Memphises (Memphi?) I liked the sole better on the Mont. (rubber, but without aggressive patterning), but couldn't come to terms with the elongated toes nor the narrow toebox. The Memphis fits me better, but has the more aggressive sole that I was hoping to avoid. On the whole, though, I like some of the subtle stylistic differences that can be found in AE's line.

Of course, I'll likely turn my "sole concern" into justification for grabbing a leather-soled model one of these days... :biggrin:

FWIW, it looks like the Montgomery can be resoled in leather. I do not think I would bother right now, but resoling time if it ever comes, I would go with leather, methinks!

The "the elongated toes nor the narrow toebox" is one of the things I was really asking for comment on. I think I like it, and I do not think it looks out of style or anything, but I am not much up to date on the latter.

Re the Memphis, AE sure does a good job with cap toe styles. I have a pair of AE Park Avenues I have had forever., and some pairs of other bransd that look pretty close or I would probably own other AE cap toe shoes!

I do not like that thick rubber sole much either though.

Yeah, my issue was more with the fit than with the style. I also have a habit of bumping toes into concrete steps -- a habit that I thought would be exacerbated with the Montgomeries. I still like the style -- I just couldn't see myself being as happy with them.

AE customer service was fantastic to work with, though! :thumbup1:

Thanks for this description. I was just on the AE site and saw the Montgomeries on sale. The site doesn't offer a top down view like some other sites (one I find handy) so it is hard to tell how long and narrow that front is. I like something more classic.

Thanks for this description. I was just on the AE site and saw the Montgomeries on sale. The site doesn't offer a top down view like some other sites (one I find handy) so it is hard to tell how long and narrow that front is. I like something more classic.

Zappos.com is usually pretty helpful for me in terms of seeing multiple angles. I just checked for you -- they show the Montgomery, as well.

Zappos.com is usually pretty helpful for me in terms of seeing multiple angles. I just checked for you -- they show the Montgomery, as well.

Really good displays of the shoes, for sure! I like those videos.

I was pretty certain one of the pairs of shoes I got earlier were Delrays, but Zappos shows them with a split toe, which what I thought were Delrays that I have definitely do not have.

Easy to see what I mean about the Powells, I would think. Reminescent of the classic J&M tassel loafers that were so popular about 25 years ago, and continue to be seen--actually identical as far as I can tell to the AE Greyson shown on Zappos.com!--on the top part of the front of the shoe, except a bit more exaggerated. Not a bad looking shoe, but seems a little neither fish more fowl to me. Not fully dressy or casual. Kind of caught inbetween.

I wonder if AE is not getting rid of all of its "dress" rubber sole shoes. I really favor leather soles. If one wants to water proof them one can apply silicon spray or something similar. But I do not mind the thin rubber soles, and they do look a lot more dressy to me than thick rubber soles do. Maybe though folks either want the thicker rubber or not rubber at all.

Interestingly, the Lambert, which I have for sure, is sometimes shown with a partly leather partly sole and sometimes with all leather. Mine are all leather.

Charlestown, shown on Zappos.com, is the other model of AE that Syms had lots of. I do not like the look of that shoe at all!! it really does have an elongated toe, which is not traditional at all to my eye.

man, you guys have it good in the States..
AE's are about $400 in Canada... bot a pair a month ago on this crazy sale for $250!!! and i thought it was a steal...

If you are a corporate member you can get 20&#37; of A-E shoes all the time a Joe Banks. It may be the best deal they offer - even better than buy one and get 16.

I am wearing what I thought were AE Delrays I got at Syms today and they definitely have not split toe (No seam at all along the very end ot the toe. The toe is squarish and the seam around the top is, too, which is beginning to look out of style to me! Otherwise they look great to me. Not too pointy and not too, too squared off. The toe on the ones on Zappos.com seems more rounded.) Maybe they are not Delrays, but that is the name and I had remembered and they are even closer than usual among AE styles if they are not.

Really good displays of the shoes, for sure! I like those videos.

I was pretty certain one of the pairs of shoes I got earlier were Delrays, but Zappos shows them with a split toe, which what I thought were Delrays that I have definitely do not have.

Easy to see what I mean about the Powells, I would think. Reminescent of the classic J&M tassel loafers that were so popular about 25 years ago, and continue to be seen--actually identical as far as I can tell to the AE Greyson shown on Zappos.com!--on the top part of the front of the shoe, except a bit more exaggerated. Not a bad looking shoe, but seems a little neither fish more fowl to me. Not fully dressy or casual. Kind of caught inbetween.

I wonder if AE is not getting rid of all of its "dress" rubber sole shoes. I really favor leather soles. If one wants to water proof them one can apply silicon spray or something similar. But I do not mind the thin rubber soles, and they do look a lot more dressy to me than thick rubber soles do. Maybe though folks either want the thicker rubber or not rubber at all.

Interestingly, the Lambert, which I have for sure, is sometimes shown with a partly leather partly sole and sometimes with all leather. Mine are all leather.

Charlestown, shown on Zappos.com, is the other model of AE that Syms had lots of. I do not like the look of that shoe at all!! it really does have an elongated toe, which is not traditional at all to my eye.

I got a pair of the Strands in Walnut last fall and I love them! I then got a pair of the Rimini's in black around Christmas when they were half off. The Rimini's are a great shoe and I think they are half off right now as well.

Top Bottom