What's new

Wash DC newbie.... greetings, comments, and questions.

Greetings.

(I suppose I have to get my post count up before I can start using all the features of this site. So here goes… post #1…)

Me and my fiancé just moved into a place together. In the process of combining stuff, I discovered that long ago her brother had gifted her with an old Gillette safety razor. She had used it once and set it aside. I got curious.

Yeah, I’m a cheap skate. I hate plunking down all the cash for cartridges. I’m also a bit of a luddite. I bicycle to work (50 minute ride), I write with fountain pens, and I read books with actual pages, on paper. So the razor caught my eye.

I’ve been using it for about a month now. I’m hooked.

Questions:
1. This razor is a bit beat up. One of the doors doesn’t close all the way. The blade on that side never sits correctly. This appears very minor, but seems to have a big impact on the shave. Is this repairable?

2. Washington DC is not listed in the shopper’s guide. Anyone know where I can go to smell/buy stuff? I found the AOS stores, and I’ve heard of a shop in Tyson’s Galleria (worth the trip?).

Blue skies and Happy shaves,
cameraflier

1. This razor is a bit beat up. One of the doors doesn’t close all the way. The blade on that side never sits correctly. This appears very minor, but seems to have a big impact on the shave. Is this repairable?

2. Washington DC is not listed in the shopper’s guide. Anyone know where I can go to smell/buy stuff? I found the AOS stores, and I’ve heard of a shop in Tyson’s Galleria (worth the trip?).

cameraflier

cameraflier,

I believe that something like that is repairable. I think a Google search might help you out in looking for a repair shop/person.

As for the local shop, I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and have been looking for the same thing as well. In my research (referral from a lifelong Baltimorian) I discovered this shave shop:

Quinntessential Gentleman
(410).685-7428
31 S Calvert Street, Baltimore, MD 21202

I have yet to travel there myself, but I've been told it has a wonderful selection and a great, helpful, and courteous staff. They might be able to refer to someone who fixes DE razors.

Good luck and welcome,
Dave

Cameraflier --

DC, like most cities, is largely a wet shaving wasteland. The Grooming Lounge has some product, offers their own brand products, and will provide shaves (...using an M3 ). They are in the 1700 block of 'L' street NW. Using the Metro subway, they are 1 block from the Farragut North station on the Red line. They offer mostly their own brand of stuff; I think they handle a couple of the English creams as well, but I don't know if they carry the Merkur line of razors or not.

Be sure to stop by the JR's Cigar store and Morton's Steak House across the street. Also, two doors down from the cigar store towards Connecticut Av, there was a storefront sign that a new AoS would be opening there in the Spring '09. I haven't been there since, so I don't know that it has opened, but believe they're open.

Frankly, the cigar store is a better destination than the Grooming Lounge. Bring $$$.

Several members have posted about some individual shops and mall destinations that offer a few items. Bath & Body Works, and the Body Shop stores in malls offer some good shave creams and A/S's. So there's some stuff available. Most guys here buy from e-tailers on the internets.

-- John Gehman

cameraflier

Welcome to B&B!

Can you post a pic of the razor?

Sometimes if we can see it, we can tell you how to repair it.

Many thanks for the info and hospitality.

Thanks to beginish, luc, and akira7799 for the pointers on where to shop locally. Your reference to the old DC area thread was very useful.

Grump suggested I post a picture of the razor. I have a photo here http://i4.photoblog.com/photos/45987-1293802609-0.jpg but it's likely not appropriate for diagnosis of the problem. For now, I always use the better side, and I rotate the blade after 2-3 days. I’ll look at taking a better picture very soon. That’ll be worthy of a new thread. I know it’s a Gillette product, but I don’t know anything else. It might have been gold plated at one point. I scored it with four green boxes of “7am” blades. Those look like they could be original material. I’m not sure.

I’ve been shaving two passes. One WTG and one XTG. While not wonderful shaves, it’s been enough to get buy. I’ve been hesitant to do too many passes per day with my poor skill set. Today I added a third ATG. Wow. Much better product, but much more to learn. I literally felt the blade come to a stop in a few places. It’s ok though. I’m patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to B&B! I live in Rockville(DC Metro area) but have not found any brick and mortar stores to be fantatsic for wet shaving gear in the area. There are a few places such as AoS, Grooming Lounge and of course you can usually find some stuff in stores like Crabtree & Evelyn but for the most part the intrawebs is the way to go. There are tons of very helpful members here on B&B and a wealth of information. Enjoy your stay. :biggrin1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Awesome! The 7am don't have a good reputation, but, if they work for you, that's all that matters. Be patient yes, it will take a bit and you will get there!

Welcome aboard!! If you are up for a shory day trip, Charlottesville, VA is not so far away. Londonsbathecary is located there and the staff is great. Take $$ and food as you may not want to leave.

Top Bottom