What's new

Please Recommend - Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven

Do any of you have a recommendation for an enameled cast iron dutch oven?

Of course Le Creuset is well known. If you have one, would you say it's overpriced?? There happens to be a Le Creuset outlet store about 30 minutes from me. Perhaps, a trip is in order.

I own several Le Creuset pots and pans, and the reason they are worth the extra money is the finish. Le Creuset's enameled finish stands up much better than the less expensive brands. That being said, you don't really need to spend all that money, unless it's for a pan that gets a lot of use and abuse. I recently bought a Martha Stewart 5.5 qt enameled casserole, the one with the self basting lid (little bumps on inside of lid), and despite knowing that it will eventually chip, I'm quite pleased with it. The lid fits perfectly. Given that it was a third of the price of the Le Creuset, it's a hell of a bargain.

I have several Le Creuset pots and a good-sized Dutch Oven that I bought many years ago at a Le Creuset factory outlet store. They are all factory-seconds with very minor cosmetic flaws and were marked down considerably from the retail price. They're at least 20 years old and are still in regular rotation in my kitchen. They should be good for at least another 20 years. I have my doubts that the cheap Chinese pots will do as well.

Consider them as a life-long investment and the initial high prices are quite reasonable.

Here's a listing of the LC factory stores: http://www.lecreuset.com/nl-be/Stores/

The caution with Le Creuset dutch ovens with the phenolic handles and knobs is they're only rated to 375 degrees (not sure about other brands with similar knobs). But I think Le Creuset also makes ovens with cast iron knobs and handles that have no such limits.

I've been making the no-knead bread Topgumby mentioned a while back and that requires a temperature of 450 ... for that I use a Lodge Cast Iron dutch oven.

I purchased a Tramontina from Target a few years ago and it has served me very well. Walmart has them for $50. Le Creuset will set you back about 5x that. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-6.5-Quart-Cast-Iron-Dutch-Oven-Red/11989387?findingMethod=rr

+1 on Tramontina. If you look for comparasons and ratings that one was very favorably rated (and affordable to boot!) I got mine for my birthday a couple of years back and I simply adore it. Difficult to keep the enamel clean though, it has developed quite a patina - luckily to no effect that I can tell

Staub is supposed to have a harder, thicker internal enamel finish. It tends to be cheaper than the other top brands. It's also black, which is supposed to help cooking in certain ways, although my understanding is it mostly helps in browning things. The internal surface isn't as smooth as the Le Creuset, so it'll be harder to clean. Finally, the top has little rivet things hanging down that's supposed to allow the condensation to drip over the entire surface rather than collect at the edge of the pot--a good thing for braises.

I've found it rather hard to clean at times after browning off a stew in the oven. It's needed some scrubbing with a Dobie pad. I never owned another brand, though there was a well worn Le Creuset in my home growing up. Can't make any comparisons on that, only speculate. The surface of the Staub is theoretically stronger, while the rough texture seems like it might have its own downside for longevity.

I bought 3 of these Staub pots. The first one seemed to be ruined by burning/browning stuff on it so I bought a second (really, a "second") with a light crack in the outer enamel. Within a year the iron inside rusted and started to show through to the inside, so I threw it out. Because of this, I'd be nervous about buying another second of this type of pot. Going back to the first, I scrubbed hard and eventually restored the cruddy surface, so it's good. The 3rd is a small 2 qt model.

Last edited:
I've only owned Le Creuset but would recommend them heartily. They come with a lifetime warranty and are the easiest cleaning pots I've ever used.

It's a big initial outlay, but you'll never have to think about buying another one. Ever. I purchased most of mine at hefty discounts on the web. I would say the outlet is definitely worth a trip.

If you have a Marshall's Homegoods store, or similar clearance style store near you, check in every once and a while for LeCruset. I just picked up a 3.5 qt one for $100. I think paying retail for them is a rip off, but you can get good deals if you search

I have a Mario Batali branded dutch oven. I normally avoid celebrity branded cookware because I figure the money for the endorsement either comes from using cheaper materials, charging more $, or both. But this one was a gift. It certainly isn't Le Creuset -- the enamel is much thinner, it takes a while to clean, and I'm sure it won't hold up as well. But it heats evenly and should last for many years given that I only use it a few times a year. Given the significantly cheaper price than LC it seems like a good deal for occasional use.

I purchased an enameled Lodge a few years ago and have been satisfied thus far. My only complaint is that it needs to be used more often.

I've always preferred straight up cast iron to enameled. Is there advantage to enameled?

cleaning and maintenence are a no-brainer with enameled. just wash 'em. :) no seasoning.

I have a calphalon oven that I use all the time for bread, LOVE it.

I've always preferred straight up cast iron to enameled. Is there advantage to enameled?

You can cook anything in enameled cast iron vs the fact that you should not cook tomato based or highly acidic foods in regular cast iron cookware. You can also get one hack of a deglaze from enameled cookware.

I got the Lodge for Xmas and I've been happy with it. Enamel has 2 teeny chips on the lid edge but the pot itself holds up well. Performance is perfectly fine, for 80 bucks. I made the best darn pot roast ever, twice. Only question is how well will it hold up over time, but for 80 bucks I'll happily buy another in 10 years.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have a lodge dutch oven also and it has served me well
Inked Daddy:
+1 for 5qt Lodge Pre-seasoned heavy cast-iron Dutch Oven. And as a Certified Executive Chef®, ACF, and although not enameled, I highly recondmend this Dutch Oven for price, durability and performance. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RWYI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00006JSUF&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AMMY3MER301EC6QT39P

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a Chasseur and it works great. Make sure you pick a big enough Dutch Oven to be able to cook everything. Something that can take a roast piece of meat + veggies for those winter days!

Top Bottom