What's new

Hair care for wavy/curly hair

Evening gentlemen.

I have hair that straddles the line between wavy and curly. I'm curious if any of you know of a shampoo and/or conditioner that help it step more firmly into the curly world. I'm not talking perm, but nice loose ringlets. I know that's vague. So, hair care that helps boost curls. A nice masculine smell would be neat, too, but not required. Any ideas? Many thanks.

First, how long is your hair?

Mine's getting back to half way down my back and has been down to the base of my back and I've still got curls. When I was younger (read: to age 13), I had hair that looked like Corey Matthews from Boy Meets World. My dad's hair gets wavy when he gets anything more than a buzz cut.

Do you condition your hair at all?

One thing I'd recommend is a bit of jojoba oil, because that's really helped me and it doesn't take very much (I use about 4 drops, maybe two for my wooden comb after a shower). The gooseberry stuff sounds like it's a conditioner of sorts, from what I read, so it'd be helpful too. Your hair might not be long enough to need more than a good conditioning.

First, how long is your hair?

Mine's getting back to half way down my back and has been down to the base of my back and I've still got curls. When I was younger (read: to age 13), I had hair that looked like Corey Matthews from Boy Meets World. My dad's hair gets wavy when he gets anything more than a buzz cut.

Do you condition your hair at all?

One thing I'd recommend is a bit of jojoba oil, because that's really helped me and it doesn't take very much (I use about 4 drops, maybe two for my wooden comb after a shower). The gooseberry stuff sounds like it's a conditioner of sorts, from what I read, so it'd be helpful too. Your hair might not be long enough to need more than a good conditioning.

My hair isn't very long, maybe a couple inches. I used Suave Men shampoo/conditioner 2 in 1, but am looking to upgrade.

PS: Go Hawks

I've read (because I don't use two-in-one, I use either Herbal Essences Violet/Pomegranate, which I do quite like or a local cream with shea butter and stuff) that the two-in-ones aren't as good as individual shampoo and conditioner, but I think that's a matter of preference. Suave is very drying for me.

Whatever you decide to use, look for stuff that's moisturizing. Also, if you shower before you go to bed so that your hair doesn't have any weight on it, you'll get nicer curls. (I wear my hair up when I go to bed after washing my hair for that reason because I'll end up looking like someone tried to Shirley Temple my hair.)

PS: Go archers!

It sounds like you and I have similar hair. One option is to not use shampoo at all. Just stand in the shower and let the water run through your hair for about a minute. Don't touch your hair while this is going on. Then just use any decent conditioner you find--right now I'm using Back to Basics because it was on sale at Alta, but I've used Redken, American Crew, etc--and no shampoo; there are enough cleansers in the conditioner to keep your hair clean. Then, when I'm "styling" it which is basically pushing it around it with my fingers for about 5 seconds, I use Aveda Grooming Clay

I have wavy/curly hair. The problem with curly hair is that it dries out really fast. After a shower if I don't put any product it will be a big piece of frizz. I bet your hair looks and feels great if you protect it with a hat all day. Thats because you retained some of the moisture. Check out curl talk (another message board) for more info. But basically the key is to not shampoo very often (maybe once a week) as it strips your hair of more moisture. You can just use conditioner and your hair shouldnt smell bad and still be decently clean. After a shower you can use jojoba oil or just throw some conditioner in there along with your favorite styling product.

Top Bottom