What's new

Single blade cartridge razors, my experience, and your advice...

Hey all. Let me start by saying my exposure to the shaving world is not nearly as extensive as most of yours. I've shaved my whole life with gilette shaving gel and disposable cartridge razors, probably along the lines of 99% of the population.

But, I've never been entirely satisfied with the process or the results, and I'm looking for the advice of some pros here.

I basically found that for whatever reason, the more blades the cartridge has, the worse the shave. This manifests itself in what I call the hair-ripping phenomenon. Around my chin and neck area just below it, most razors of the off-the-shelf variety feel like they're literally ripping each hair out one by one. The more blades, the greater the rip feeling and the less the smoothness.

And so, I'd been using a two bladed Sensor Excel for a while, but even that started getting to me. I switched to the absolute cheapest Bic ones- the bag o orange razors, since they only contained one blade, and sure enough, the shave is much smoother going. But it's not very close, and looking at the bare utilitarian design of the thing, I can tell why.

What would you recommend I do? Is there a good cartridge razor that only uses one blade? I'm not looking to get heavily invested in this and develop my old school razor skills or buy a whole bunch of brushes. I know it's an active hobby for many, but in my case, I'm already close to what I'm looking for with the mass produced stuff. I just need a good single blade.

If switching to a safety razor or something like it is the only way, I'll do it, but I thought I'd check here first for a more gradual step.

Thanks so much!!!

There are no "single-edge" systems readily available in the US...at least not that I'm aware of. Unless Bump Stopper is a single, but I think the cartridge is modeled after the Trac II and it is designed to NOT shave you clean (it leaves a bit of hair above the surface). The Gillette Guard is available overseas in Indian markets and is Gillette's attempt to do away with DE's.

There isn't much of an investment in getting a safety razor and some blades to try. The real investment comes if you let yourself get out of control on purchases (what we call "Acquisition Disorders"). Just control yourself. Get a DE (if new try Parker or Weishi to save money) and a small blade sampler pack. You can get a Tweezerman badger brush for 12 bucks or so, and some Kiss My Face Shave Cream is about 7 bucks for an 11oz pump bottle. The total cost is what you'd spend taking yourself out to dinner and drinks with friends one evening.

Ultimately the results are far better than the mass produced junk.

If you're using a Bic with a single fixed blade, you're most of the way to using a DE competently. It's simply heavier and allows you to find a blade you like, instead of what you're given.

Gillette's blades aren't very sharp. They get around this by giving you more of them, but this introduces drag, whilst making it a foolproof, safe razor.

It won't cost you much to try a DE and a bunch of blades, but no single blade will take off as much hair in one pass as a cart does.

Interesting. I may catch flack for asking an easily searched for question, but why the need for a brush? If I can slather it on my skin with my hand and lather it in a similar manner.... ?

I don't mean to question what you guys do, merely to find the path of least resistance/change for me here...

I think you should give a DE a try. You will get more consistent results, have more options, and be able to use better quality tools. The blade you would use on a DE razor are better than those put into disposable razors, so you would get better results.

Interesting. I may catch flack for asking an easily searched for question, but why the need for a brush? If I can slather it on my skin with my hand and lather it in a similar manner.... ?

Same argument against goo in a can. Find something that works better - and practically anything not canned does - then make it the way you like it. You can't do it without a brush - not consistently anyway.

And the majority here aren't in it to save as many minutes as possible. It take 5 minutes to do a crap shave and 10 to do a great one (once competent). That's worth an extra 5 minutes of anyone's time IMO.

Last edited:
The brush is optional, but usually makes good lather much better. There are many brushless creams that get good reviews here, and most creams can be used without a brush if you want. The difference is that the brush introduces a lot of water into the lather, and since we're "wet shaving" the more water against your skin the better.

The more blades, the greater the rip feeling

Are you talking about your wallet? :lol::lol::lol:

I don't know if they are available in the US, but the BIC Sensitive is a good starting choice. They are similar to DEs because they don't tug as much as multi-blade systems. Just don't expect a very close shave, this is why I don't use them often.

Hi,

I would like to mention that the single greatest improvement you can make to you shaving is to use a brush and good soap. The difference will be noticeable in very short order.

Injectors are great, and they deliver outstanding shaves, but finding blades for them locally can be troublesome.

The other option would be a GEM type Single Edge Razor. Blades are easily available at places like CVS, Rite-Aid and are about $4-5 for ten blades. Just stay away from the Blue Star Carbon Steel blades.

A GEM (also manufactured under the names of Ever Ready and Star) razor provides a very close, very smooth, very comfortable shave, though there is a bit of a learning curve. The 1912 model, or the Damaskeene would be good starters, and vintage ones are available usually for under $10.

Which got me interested in them. Is there any way though to get a new handle? Paying top dollar for a dead stock or vintage one isn't in the stars for me right now. Advice?

They don't make Injectors anymore. However, vintage ones in good condition don't go for that much money. If you post a WTB (want to buy) in the WTB forum of this site, I bet you could pick one up for less than $20. :thumbup1:

They don't make Injectors anymore. However, vintage ones in good condition don't go for that much money. If you post a WTB (want to buy) in the WTB forum of this site, I bet you could pick one up for less than $20. :thumbup1:

I got mine in the B/S/T for 20 bucks. Beautiful condition L. Check the old postings. Sometimes things don't sell and you can contact the seller (even if it's been a few months) and they'll still sell it to you.

Hi,

I would like to mention that the single greatest improvement you can make to you shaving is to use a brush and good soap. The difference will be noticeable in very short order.

So true. And if you want to save money, a $10 brush and $1.50 puck of VDH will last you forever. Figure 4-6 months for the soap, and 5 years or more for the brush. It's good for your wallet and the environment. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom