What's new

How soft is Simson "Best" hair compared to Rooney Super Silvertip?

I've never owned a Simpson but now I'm thinking of a Commodore X3. I know that each manufacturer's hair grades are different, so how does Simpson's "Best" grade compare in tip softness to Rooney Super Silvertip? I have a Rooney 3/1 as a frame of reference, and I don't want to get a new brush only for it to be scritchy.

Wow, what timing. I've owned the Rooney 3/1 in Super Silvertip for 6 months and just received my Duke 3 in Best. I can tell you from first hand experience that to me the Duke 3 is SOFTER than my Rooney 3/1 in Super!! I am astounded with the Simpsons Best grade of hair. Incredible value!!! I have a Chubby 1 in two-band coming and can't wait!! Order a Simpson in Best without hesitation!! Absolutely NO scritch!! I find my Rooney more scritchy. Check my mini review a couple threads down.

Last edited:
Good to hear. :)

I looked at the Duke but I'm leaning to the Commodore because of the longer loft.

I thinks Simpsons Best is great. I have a really soft-tipped SR 3122 Silver, a 2-band Ehsan and a Duke 2 in Best. The Best hair is not as soft tipped as the SR of course; however, the Duke has great backbone, soft tips, and feels great when face lathering.

The current production Simpsons Best Badger is most certainly softer at the tips than Rooney Silvertip. The density depends on the Simpons model selected, whereas the Rooney is dense across the board. You will not be disappointed with Simpsons best, a great value.

There are times to dismiss the grading of Badger knots, at the very least Simpsons Best is equal to Rooney (Super) Silvertip.

Last edited:
I have had several Simpson's in Best, and there is some variety. My own Duke 3 is very soft, and every bit as luxurious as a Rooney Super. However some of the other Simpson Best I have owned were slightly scritchy (Eagle G3, and Commodore 3x). None were over the top scritchy, but you did notice it. However as I like my three bands medium soft I had no problems with them. It was just obvious that they were not as soft as the Rooney Supers I have owned. With that in mind the Simpson Best all had superior backbone to the Rooney Supers. I never had a 1/1 (the best loft to knot size ratio), but both my 1/2 and 3/1 were both a bit floppy in my overly harsh evaluation.

I used a Rooney 3/1 Super for the past year. This Christmas I got a Simpson Colonel in Best. After 3-4 shaves with it, I find it just as soft as the Rooney. I was expecting the Best to be a little more scritchy than the Rooney, but I don't find that to be the case.

I wish I could agree. I had a Berkeley in Best and now have a Chubby 2 in best, and find that grade a touch scritchy, whereas I don't get any scritch from my Rooney Super. The Berkeley was not used much, so maybe it was still 'breaking in', but my Chubby clearly has some use on it.

I'll echo Vlad, except that I'm comparing a well-used 3/1 super (with block-letter logo) to an almost-new Classic 2 best. The Simpson may well break in to be softer than the Rooney, or maybe there is some brush-to-brush variation at work.

The feel of my 3/1 super silvertip and my Simpson brushes in best are very similar. If there is any difference it's negligible.

Rooney silvertip is more consistent - basically always the same. Simpson bristle varies a lot - sometimes it will be softer, sometimes firmer than Rooney. I have a silky soft PJ3 best bat have had scritchier bests as well.

Top Bottom