What's new

Todays fleamarket / yardsale finds

Well I got bored today so I decided to go out and have a look around at the local fleamarkets and yardsales and this is what I found.

This is a strop I picked up at a local fleamarket thown up on a shelf with some odds and ends. :biggrin1:

[IMG]&
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It does have some nicks and some spots where it looks like something heavy was left on it but it is generally a good stop. None of the nicks look like they would affect the razor for someone that knows how to strop really well.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is the logo on the canvas stop. It was a bit more clear before I washed the canvas but I really needed to wash it, it was looking really grungy :blink:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is the stone I got at a local thrift shop... I could be wrong but I think this could be a norton stone.... it measures 1x2 15/16x6 1/4 but one end of the stone was very jagged like it had been broken off so it is very likely that it was 1x2 15/16x8 it is very course I would say 1000 grit maybe.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here is a nice close up of the grit :001_smile

proxy.php

Now you all want to know how much I paid for all this???

C-mon strop.......... $6.00

Possible Norton 1000 grit stone...... $2.00

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
It might just be the photos but that stone looks too rough for a razor. It might be intended for knives or other tools.

But for the price good score!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
That stone looks too rough for a razor indeed. It looks more like it would fit into someones wall, than for any type of polishing activity.

The stone is much smoother than it looks in the photos.... I know the multi tone grit makes it look like a cinder block but its actually very smooth. Whatever it is it will be a nice stone when I get lapped :thumbup1:

I wonder how old that brooklyn strop is, really nice find and 6buck , sweet.

I sure hope someone will chime in on the strop and stone... I can find lots of info on C-MON straights or hones but not a lot on strops.

Top Bottom