Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: What are your cooking goals this year?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,074
    Images
    91

    Default What are your cooking goals this year?

    The title says it all. What area of cooking do you want to improve on or explore?

    I have a couple of goals this year.

    Baking.

    I want to really ramp up my baking, especially bread baking. I'm going to attempt to freeze loaves of my bread and see how it keeps. I also want to make more bread with whole wheat flour or at least white whole wheat.

    I want to start making more cakes, by more I mean some. I haven't made a cake in a long time, its time to start.

    Asian.

    I don't know why but I really have the urge to start making Asian soups. Tomorrow I'm making ramen soup from David Chang's Momofuku. It looks really good. Next up, Pho or some of the spicy Korean soups. There is a Korean/Japanese place down the street from my house. Its a husband and wife place the husband is Japanese and he does the sushi along with I think his son, the wife is Korean and she handles the kitchen with a couple of cooks and she also takes care of the front of the house. The food is good enough that I have thought about begging them for a job in the kitchen.

    Indian food, especially vegetables. I'm intrigued by the spice blends.

    I have also come to the conclusion that I don't cook enough beans. I like them I just don't cook enough of them.


    What about you? What plans or goals do you have? What areas of cookery would you like to explore?
    Shawn

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    9,479
    Images
    42

    Default

    If you have a bulk food place near you you can get 7 or 9 or etc. grains to add to your bread. Most whole wheat bread is more white flour than whole wheat as whole wheat does not really have the gluten to hold bread together. I stand to be corrected though. I like breads that involve a little molasses as well.

    On the soup front . . . all I can say is Hot And Sour. . . . my favourite.

    For me my challenge is to develop a variety of go to cold salads. Things using beans, rice, bulgar, with spices. Egg and potato salads I have some under my belt . . . cole slaw . . . yeah I do some real good ones. . . so looking out for different things.

    Mike
    Mike

    Need help? Ask a Mod

    Please help support Badger and Blade.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,691
    Images
    11

    Default

    I agree on the baking. I feel kind of stupid buying bread at the store. I want to come up with a solid wheat sandwich loaf.

    I also want to start making dry cured sausages. Specifically salami.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,074
    Images
    91
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alacrity59 View Post
    If you have a bulk food place near you you can get 7 or 9 or etc. grains to add to your bread. Most whole wheat bread is more white flour than whole wheat as whole wheat does not really have the gluten to hold bread together. I stand to be corrected though. I like breads that involve a little molasses as well.

    On the soup front . . . all I can say is Hot And Sour. . . . my favourite.

    For me my challenge is to develop a variety of go to cold salads. Things using beans, rice, bulgar, with spices. Egg and potato salads I have some under my belt . . . cole slaw . . . yeah I do some real good ones. . . so looking out for different things.

    Mike
    I have some recipes that call for the addition of wheat gluten. I have made two loaves with white whole wheat and the addition of wheat gluten. It came out pretty good but it was a lean dough and I would like to develop a reliable whole wheat sandwich loaf. I'll have to read up on some of the other grains for bread making.

    This past week I made the no knead bread recipe from the back of the King Arthur whole wheat flour bag. It had molasses and orange juice.

    I have a couple of cold salads that I do too but I also need to expand that area of my cooking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
    I agree on the baking. I feel kind of stupid buying bread at the store. I want to come up with a solid wheat sandwich loaf.

    I also want to start making dry cured sausages. Specifically salami.

    Dry cured sausage is on my future list of things to do. This year I may try home cured bacon.
    Shawn

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    9,075
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullybob View Post
    ...I want to really ramp up my baking, especially bread baking. I'm going to attempt to freeze loaves of my bread and see how it keeps. I also want to make more bread with whole wheat flour or at least white whole wheat.
    i am sure you have seen this, but I mention this in case you haven't. The book "artisan bread in 5 minutes" gets very good reviews... my wife and I have sporadic spurts of nonstop bread making, with a couple of different biga's sitting in the fridge. It was a lot of fun to have fresh bread.

    I think i am going to work on some homemade bacon soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San jose, calif
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Build a bigger smokehouse to accomodate 20 lbs of jerky and 4, 5lb slabs of porkbelly bacon:)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mckinney, Texas
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Just purchased a 19" wok for the outdoor burner to be purchased in the near future. So.... to become Proficient in the ways of the wok!

  8. #8

    Default

    Bought this book last year & have only cooked 1 recipe from it. My aim is to:

    try many more of these recipes over this coming year
    get a decent set of knives
    try cooking rissoto for the 1st time
    get my pizzas upto a really good standard
    Bake a really good plain white bread loaf


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    3,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by global_dev View Post
    The book "artisan bread in 5 minutes" gets very good reviews...
    We just got this book. We've made the basic recipe for about a year now and we plan to explore the alternative versions this year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullybob View Post
    Baking.
    Yes. We plan to bake bread to save money and eat healthier. I'd like to have a small loaf with dinner a few times a week. The book mentioned above REALLY shows you how to have fresh bread every day.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tomorrow, and it's amazing!!
    Posts
    926

    Default

    BBQ BBQ & MORE BBQ!!!

    Last year was the first time for pulled pork for me, which I feel I've got a pretty good handle on now.

    This year I want to take on the brisket

    Plus I just got a new cooker which I MUST learn so.... practice practice practice (i.e. BBQ BBQ BBQ)

    I'm bbqing a bacon wrapped pork loin right now on my new cooker.
    -Jake MMMmmm... Tallow... AAHHLLGGGGGG

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,413
    Images
    1

    Default

    To learn something about meal planning and do more cooking of full meals on a more daily basis. I've spent too much time on cooking elaborate and long cooking dishes, and it's not at all appropriate to daily cooking.
    --steve

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Posts
    15,817
    Images
    157

    Default

    To try and make Japanese-inspired bento lunches a few times a week for my wife and me. The sandwiches are all played out (except for Spivey's 700, of course).
    -Bob, 3017er. Loading it like I hate it since 2010

    Contribute to Badger and Blade

    Check-6
    -- Knowledge is Power

    Proud Member of the Great Eagle Group Buy
    Soap for Hope is the Key

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Smoking for the first time, that's pretty much all, and hopefully not mess it up the first time, lol

    Actually some more recipes for us to cook for dinner, not sure what but anything that's nice.

  14. #14

    Default

    David Chang's book is a fantastic book. I've made 4-5 recipes and they've all been excellent.
    Cabin on a Lake

  15. #15

    Default

    My wife and I subscribe to a CSA for our produce. My goal is to use all of it each week, which can be a challenge. My strategy is to pick up our "share" on Friday, take an inventory, create a cooking plan (menu) based on that, and then buy just the necessary proteins. That way we eat our veggies and fruit, minimize waste and eat less meat.
    My other goal is to have a nutrient-dense fruit smoothies for breakfast 5 days a week.
    Cabin on a Lake

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,074
    Images
    91
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by global_dev View Post
    i am sure you have seen this, but I mention this in case you haven't. The book "artisan bread in 5 minutes" gets very good reviews... my wife and I have sporadic spurts of nonstop bread making, with a couple of different biga's sitting in the fridge. It was a lot of fun to have fresh bread.

    I think i am going to work on some homemade bacon soon.

    I have that book and just bought their second book two weeks ago. I have made a lot of bread out of the first book and I plan on making a lot of bread out of the second book. In face I have already made 4 loafs of bread from it.

    At heart I'm a cook, not a baker and their books allow me to bake and have excellent results.


    Quote Originally Posted by spindlecone View Post
    Build a bigger smokehouse to accomodate 20 lbs of jerky and 4, 5lb slabs of porkbelly bacon:)
    Nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
    Just purchased a 19" wok for the outdoor burner to be purchased in the near future. So.... to become Proficient in the ways of the wok!


    Quote Originally Posted by duotone View Post
    Bought this book last year & have only cooked 1 recipe from it. My aim is to:

    try many more of these recipes over this coming year
    get a decent set of knives
    try cooking rissoto for the 1st time
    get my pizzas upto a really good standard
    Bake a really good plain white bread loaf
    I would hate to tell you how many cookbooks I have that I haven't cooked a single recipe from. Some of the books I haven't cooked out of have given me great food inspiration.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spivey View Post
    We just got this book. We've made the basic recipe for about a year now and we plan to explore the alternative versions this year.



    Yes. We plan to bake bread to save money and eat healthier. I'd like to have a small loaf with dinner a few times a week. The book mentioned above REALLY shows you how to have fresh bread every day.

    It's my go to bread book. Its super easy and pretty much fool proof. The white sandwich loaf is what we make our sandwiches with. The sticky buns that I made are from that book. Now that I have their second book I'm starting to make more whole wheat bread.


    Quote Originally Posted by SiBurning View Post
    To learn something about meal planning and do more cooking of full meals on a more daily basis. I've spent too much time on cooking elaborate and long cooking dishes, and it's not at all appropriate to daily cooking.
    I feel you on that. I really like to spend some time in the kitchen but some days it just isn't worth it or I just don't have the time. We could start a thread about what or how we cook when we are pressed for time or just plain to tired to do an elaborate meal.

    Quote Originally Posted by cabinonalake View Post
    David Chang's book is a fantastic book. I've made 4-5 recipes and they've all been excellent.
    If you haven' t made the ginger scallion sauce you really owe it yourself to make and try it on some noodles. I'm not a big ginger fan I wasn't sure how I would like it. After reading about it in the book and all of his comments about it I knew I had to make it. His line about "you need this in your life" is spot on. I can't believe how good this sauce is.

    What is a CSA?
    Shawn

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,413
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sullybob View Post
    I feel you on that. I really like to spend some time in the kitchen but some days it just isn't worth it or I just don't have the time. We could start a thread about what or how we cook when we are pressed for time or just plain to tired to do an elaborate meal.
    Done.
    Share your secrets for quick weeknight meal preparation
    --steve

  18. #18

    Default

    I plan to focus more on French cuisine this year. Last year was Italian and Mediterranean. Eventually, I want to make really good croissants.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    115

    Default

    My dad and I recently bought a nice smoker. I want to concentrate on the art of Low and Slow BBQ. We have thus far had some amazing chicken, really good turkey, fantastic ribs, and great gravy drippings. We have had some awful fish, so the goal is an obvious one.

Similar Threads

  1. New to Cooking
    By ditothegreat in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
  2. Indonesion Gillette Goals ( and Bali Shaveologue )
    By fidjit in forum Safety Razor Blades
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 07:34 AM
  3. New Year's Cooking?
    By The Nid Hog in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.