What's new

First shave with my Slim adjustable

I had my first shave with my birth year 1967 slim this morning. I know I shouldn't have changed more than one thing at a time, but I also used shave soap for the first time since learning proper lathering and light-touch shaving technique. Oh, I also used a Personna blade. The soap was Col Conk's Bay Rum. For the record, I had been using Shave Secret exclusively since the summer.

I started on a 3 thinking that would be closest to a Tech razor (my goto razor for the past month). On my second pass I bumped it up to a 5. On my touch ups for those stubborn areas I bumped it up to a 7.

What a nice razor! It's great having the ability to adjust the blade to specific spots on my face! Had a wonderful shave with no nicks, cuts or weepers at all! I still used the Shave Secret but only to hydrate my face afterwards and because I just love that clovey goodness! :thumbup1:

I am still perfecting proper technique so I won't have to use shaving oil anymore. As a result I didn't quite that BBS shave I have been getting with oil only but I will get there, I think, once get the hang of building good, slick lather. But it was still quite close and very very comfortable.

Last edited:
The slim is an excellent raor !! I have a 1962. Give yourself a few shaves to adjust to a different razor and you will surely get bbs shaves !!

Awesome! I regularly use a 1961 Slim Adjustable. It is one of my favorite razors. It took me about 6 months to work up to the 5 setting and now get BBS everytime I use it. Glad you hade success with yours! Another vintage DE user!

DL

Even as a little kid I was in awe of my dad's adjustable razor. I just loved the look and beauty of it. My dad lost his but it's so groovy that now I get to shave with one just like it! I am anxious to try my Executive but I want to master the slim first.

My 62' Slim is my go-to every day razor. I love it! I usually just leave it on 5 for all passes, but I have bumped it around on a few occasions when I needed a closer shave.

I also just got a Slim Adjustable, and began using it this week, I started at 3, now at 5, and have gotten 2 BBS shaves. I had to change my technique a little - the angle is important with this razor.

I especially like the weight, balance, and the grip on it. I got one in very good + condition on the bay for about $20 shipped.

I began shaving in the late 60's with a Slim, with poor results, no training, and the blades at that time were not very good. The Trac II was a big improvement in getting "good" shaves, quickly, using canned shaving cream. (I used the canned cream with the Slim, never used a brush). The Marketing was everywhere for the cart razors...

VW

I especially like the weight, balance, and the grip on it. I got one in very good + condition on the bay for about $20 shipped.
VW

Got you beat on that one. Picked mine up from the bay for $14 shipped. I think it went low because it looked pretty crappy from the pics the seller posted. I gambled and won, thank goodness!

I borrowed my brothers slim adjustable a few months ago, It felt so good i had to get my own.It's built well and the weight is great for me a real pity they don't make razors like the slim anymore.I was lucky to find a NOS still in a presentation gift box.

They need a good soak from time to time because the soap does build up inside the adjustment and TTO mechanism. Get a good one and I see no reason for it to outlast us all.

Top Bottom