What's new

Anyone use alum for deodorant?

There are alot of deodorants using potassium alum or ammonium alum. The Crystal Rock is one of them, there are many others, some with a scent, some unscented.

Well, I learned something new. I never thought of using alum that way. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I tried it when I was a teenager.
It didn't do much for me.
Now that I think about it, not much can mask the teenager funk.

Thai Crystal Sticks are great. Works great for me. No annoying white stuff or sticky gel deoderant. Also it is unscented which i like. Doesn't clash with cologne.

My Dad always said he didn't use a deodorant or after shave, but he was always spotless, well shaven and odor free. Then I found out what that big opalescent block in his medicine cabinet was for!! Although he rubbed them on his face and armpits, he didn't count it as AS or deodorant!! It worked great!

Alum works better for me than anything else I've used. It completely stops excess sweat, and thus, odor. Plus I or mine from a Chinese grocer for less than $1. BTW, you really should apply it as soon as you get out of the shower for it to work best.

I think if you are in an air conditioned office all day it works fine.if you are doing manual labor,you better work alone !

Alum works better for me than anything else I've used. It completely stops excess sweat, and thus, odor. Plus I or mine from a Chinese grocer for less than $1. BTW, you really should apply it as soon as you get out of the shower for it to work best.

+1 for me, works better than anything else I have used. I apply while still wet out of the shower and I am using my razo rock alum (potassium) that I use for my face. Only been doing it for about 2 weeks but wow. I don't smell powdery and my pits are not gummy.

+1 on using it while wet, right after the shower. It works by creating a thin antibacterial layer, so a) you need to use it before you begin perspiring again, and b) you need to use a lot of it - slow strokes and a lot of them. I'd been using it like other deos (a few quick strokes) and it didn't work until I slowed down and was more generous with it. YMMV, of course.

And yet Axe is still in business.

There's an explanation for that one. The more of that body spray and crap the kids put on, the further away people stay from them (because it's so nauseating when used in the amounts they use it). Therefore, no one get close enough to smell the skunks under their shirts!

+1 on using it while wet, right after the shower. It works by creating a thin antibacterial layer, so a) you need to use it before you begin perspiring again, and b) you need to use a lot of it - slow strokes and a lot of them. I'd been using it like other deos (a few quick strokes) and it didn't work until I slowed down and was more generous with it. YMMV, of course.

+1. I also found it helpful to use it 2x/day (morning and night) until my body adjusted. It's not the best (for me) for really warm days or when exercising, but for day-to-day use, it gets the job done.

Also, be sure the product is able to get to your skin. You may wish to "trim back the forest" a little if you're particularly hairy.

There's an explanation for that one. The more of that body spray and crap the kids put on, the further away people stay from them (because it's so nauseating when used in the amounts they use it). Therefore, no one get close enough to smell the skunks under their shirts!

Brilliant! Why not switch it out for Lilac Vegetal?

I've used crystal rocks off and on for almost 20 years. The kicker with them is that you need to use them consistently and moderately heavily. They do not work a whit if you have already started funkification. Use them right out of the shower and more than a couple of quick swipes.

My understanding is that they work by inhibiting the bacterial growth that is a leading component of BO. If you sweat heavily, you will likely "wash off" the active component, thereby enabling funkification. That's what an antiperspirant is for: To stop sweat from happening.

I found that I got my best effect from a crystal after several days of consistent use, almost as if the effect had to build up. IT worked for me when I was in the Army, and it works well for me now that I'm a desk potato.

YMMV

Top Bottom