What's new

Illinois #206 Strop and Fromm Paste

The barber I got my strop from said to rub the Fromm into it 24 hours before using it the first time.

Is this just a leather conditioner to go on both sides or is it only for the rough side?

The barber I got my strop from said to rub the Fromm into it 24 hours before using it the first time.

Is this just a leather conditioner to go on both sides or is it only for the rough side?

I believe it is simply a leather conditioner, similar to what would be used on many leather goods. Don't know what the ingredients are but probably some fat and/or oil with something to keep it from going rancid or, more likely, petroleum based. Mink oil is probably OK, too.

It should be used on the side of the leather you will do your final stropping on -- generally the smooth side. Some strops are suede-like and I suspect this will not work well on those.

I have a strop that I thought had too hard a surface. No "drag". I used a leather conditioner I got for treating a motorcycle seat. Worked well. It was actually a general purpose leather conditioner -- Lexol, I think. I got it from a saddlery supplier.

Having said all that, it is probably best you don't treat the strop with anything unless you are having a problem with it being too hard or slick. (Perhaps the case with a vintage strop.) Even with that, you may be able to fix things up just by using the palm of your hand and lots of elbow grease. I never treated any of my other strops.

Thanks! Followed your advice and that led to my first BBS shave. Beauty.

Much appreciation.

Top Bottom