What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

View attachment 544568View attachment 544569

My first two Cotis and both are Bout 9 Les Latneuses YaY ! :lol:

Are they from the german bay?

These are most likely no Les Latneuse stones! If they are from the seller i have in my mind, that is no bad guy in any sence, but lists coticule stones (i think he bought them from remos.at kind of Beaty stuff seller with a good contract to ardennes) sometimes in lack of knowledge as Veins that they simply not come from. Be aware.

I hope for you that they are good ones/btw. any coticule is good, but especially for the Les Lat Vein, there is no hybrid side, so no benefit over an ordinary coti).

Greets Sebastian.

I have seen a lot of Let Lats for sale recently backed with slate without the hybrid side. I enjoy the coticule side of my Let Lats and find them to be good fine finishing coticules, but it does make me wonder where the hybrid side went. Very possible that it was lost in preparation or the initial quarrying.

There is actually 2 yellow sides and the hybrid sandwiched in the middle so not every piece of yellow typically has the hybrid side and its not uncommon for it to separate away from both yellows leaving neither yellow attached to it.

Hi guys!
First post from me on this forum. I've been following this topic with great interest for a while now, and I thought it was time to show my coti's too!
Bought this small coticule from eBay and made a nice box for it using the carving knife in the pictures (it was sharpened with the coticule) :001_smile
The coti was part of a barber set, including two scissors, five straight razors and a hair trimmer. Paid 110 euro for it all.
I think it was worth the money, because this coti is a good finisher and 3 razors are in very good condition a of good quality (Crown & Sword, Kayser Elliot Sheffield and an Extol Solingen).
The coticule is glued to BBW and is hard like glass (making slurry requires high pressure and some time!). Slurry turns grey after 10 x-strokes with little pressure.
I have two other coti's (I'll post the pictures soon), but they are less homogeneous than this one. There are no visible inclusions or color differences in this one (except for the crack line :001_rolle). The previous owner applied low quality glue, so I had to re-glue it after the bond failed when I was inspecting the stone (bending it a little...). After flattening and sanding I was happy to conclude that the crack does not affect the sharpening process.

$DSC_0813.jpg$DSC_0819.jpg$DSC_0823.jpg

Last edited:
There is actually 2 yellow sides and the hybrid sandwiched in the middle so not every piece of yellow typically has the hybrid side and its not uncommon for it to separate away from both yellows leaving neither yellow attached to it.

Thank you Scott! I had read that before but forgotten. I think my brain was screaming "I want more hybrids" so I couldn't access my memory.

I have seen a lot of Let Lats for sale recently backed with slate without the hybrid side. I enjoy the coticule side of my Let Lats and find them to be good fine finishing coticules, but it does make me wonder where the hybrid side went. Very possible that it was lost in preparation or the initial quarrying.

LL hybrid has a tendancy towards a LOT of fractures, gaps, and other problems. Actually solid, usable hybrid LL is somewhat rare in my experience.

Yeah, but ardennes seems to be getting a good amount of LL coti (looking for good hybrids I suppose), which is alright with me. LL coti layers I've used have been quite good. A bit fast for my taste, but a nice edge. It's just a bit disappointing, as the hybrid pieces are so nice looking.

Woooo! I think I figured it out. Shave test will tell, but I'm getting HHT results consistent with my other coticules following a DMT 8k, which I wasn't getting anywhere near before.

Trick seems to be simply that the stone is ULTRA-sensitive to pressure... which doesn't fit into my concept of honing (using pressure as much as possible), and combine that with how friable the stone is... I'll test it quite a bit more in the near future; but the situation seems to be:

Very large garnets in a very friable substrate... so a lot of pressure frees large garnets which quickly make the stone cut as if it's on heavy slurry, even on a thin slurry; this is complicated if the stone has been recently lapped (scarred up surface much more friable than a smoothed surface); but once the stone has lost the lapping scars, with a very careful touch, you do have access to a small range of light pressures, allowing the stone to finish within the range coticules are typically capable of, and with the size and speed, the limitations on heavy pressure and slurry use are less significant.

Oil and lather helped slightly, but not enough as to allow less care to be used. Water and deliberate honing seems the key. Running water seems less helpful on this stone than other aggressive autoslurriers, as the size of the garnets means you want to avoid breaking up the surface of the stone (running water will increase the rate this happens, it's simply there to remove the slurry that results).

With slurry and heavy pressure, this stone bevels nearly as quickly as a DMT 1.2k. The next test will be trying to find a way to manage slurry so that dilucot becomes an option.

This will definitely set a record as my most difficult coticule yet, but basically, the same tricks for other coticules seem to still apply, they just require new extremes of care and technique to pull off. At least it won't have to be chocked up as "not razor quality".

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Glad you're having good results with it Ian. That's the fastest on water coti I've ever used...not that it's lightning fast, but you could see swarf building up after 10 or so circles. I lapped it with a DiaFlat, followed by an atoma 1200 so it's probably just now getting broken in.

Top Bottom