What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

$IMG_0375-2.JPG

Went to the rock pile today and while sifting through noticed the longer raw one had an orange-brown (?) tint to it,that went away after making a decent slurry.I have not picked this one up in a while and really never spent much time with it.I bought it as a coticule and it seems to be one, though pretty different looking.What caught my eye was the color it had turned, which I should have taken a pic of before putting a slurry stone to it.Its hard and on the slower side.The lines down the sides turn into the the diagonal stripe on the top right.I have only used water on this stone so it was clean months ago when I left it.I honed a razor and the edge looks great and got a good hht before the strop.The other stone (to compare color)is a natural combo 5-1/2x2-3/8x1-1/8.The raw one is 8-1/4x2 and 5/8 tapering to 7/16.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Picked up this stone in a BIN. Listed as an Arkansas oil stone.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 190

David

Thanks. It's a neat stone. Not crazy hard and the feedback is almost thuri like under the blade. It's speedy on water now but I expect it to slow down once it breaks in.

Way to go, again, David. You are on a roll. That is a nice looking stone, and look at all that yellowish-tan colored stuff. If I put my six coticules together they might have that much actual coti! If I put that big of a chamfer on mine, most of them would be half blue.

I suspect that's a Pierre du sud ouest. Those swirled bands are why I called them "Mystery swirled stones" before someone put a name to them. Slightly over half of the ones I've encountered have that marking. The "glitter" effect is rarer, but occurs on a few. The coffin cut is a big indicator, they're overwhelmingly cut in that size/shape.

David

Just got this boxed Deep Rock in. 5x2.5 natural combo

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 122
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 121
I don't know,I'm not sure that's a coticule, is relative new for me and didn't have time for play with it. There's a post on coticule.be which was talking about this stone, if I remember well was named La Petite Brune.
Anyway in the pics you can see the stone between the Pierre du sud ouest on left and a Moughton Whetstone on the right and to me don't match any of them. Another mystery stone.

$DSC07146.JPG$DSC07147.JPG

I got this one the last week from Suisse its a typical Barber Hone Type stone, not in typical US Barber Hone Size but in the size like 20x3,5cm...it has two sides, one side seems to be a Schwedenstein in a black/gray mottled structure the other one looks grainy and likely a green Coticule / La Verte, but its for 100% not a Coticule.

It has a very exotic smell, like raw green peas...and iam sure its natural...

Any ideas here ?
proxy.php

proxy.php

I got this one the last week from Suisse its a typical Barber Hone Type stone, not in typical US Barber Hone Size but in the size like 20x3,5cm...it has two sides, one side seems to be a Schwedenstein in a black/gray mottled structure the other one looks grainy and likely a green Coticule / La Verte, but its for 100% not a Coticule.

It has a very exotic smell, like raw green peas...and iam sure its natural...

Any ideas here ?
proxy.php

proxy.php

Could we pics of the side of the stone please? You may wish to start its own hone id thread as well. I am not sure what you have there either. I don't remember seeing a stone quite like that.

Could we pics of the side of the stone please? You may wish to start its own hone id thread as well. I am not sure what you have there either. I don't remember seeing a stone quite like that.

Here is a side shot, in total we have 1,5cm thickness so both glued sides are quite thin...slurry is green...

proxy.php

proxy.php

I used to think I knew a lot about coticules but the more I learn the less I really know. There are just enough signs on that stone to make me think it possibly could be a coticule. There are many veins normally too thin to mine commercially that we never see and I can't help but wonder if this could be from one. There are traces of what looks like the top stone in the streaks on the side of the bottom stone which is normal for some layers to have some of the yellow mixed in the bbw etc. You may consider asking Maurice if he has ever seen anything like it or maybe Bart Torfs.

$IMG_0400-2.JPG

All of these were describes as coticules and didn't break the bank so I bid.All are capable of good edges.The lighter one is for color comparison.The top one seems to be similar to the one in post #7775...

Top Bottom