What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Very nice, congrats! Yeah that looks like a la grise to me. Good stones. I really wish I hadn't sold mine. You're building quite the collection there.

Haven't gotten a chance to play much with this since it arrived the same day as a mystery hone; but here's the oil-crusted score I posted a few days ago.
The feel is exactly like modern La Veinette. Not quite as nice as the peach-hued, unpatterned vintages (Old Rock, etc); but a very good stone in its own right. The BBW is beautiful, can't really capture it in my crappy pictures. Really deep and multifaceted coloring. The exciting part though is that big thick slab of combo in the middle. I'm actually looking forward to getting to try that out in the future. It's a little guy, but still a nice little score.

Attachments

• $PICT0045.jpg
    $PICT0045.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 121
  • $PICT0046.jpg
    $PICT0046.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 119
  • $PICT0047.jpg
    $PICT0047.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 120
Haven't gotten a chance to play much with this since it arrived the same day as a mystery hone; but here's the oil-crusted score I posted a few days ago.
The feel is exactly like modern La Veinette. Not quite as nice as the peach-hued, unpatterned vintages (Old Rock, etc); but a very good stone in its own right. The BBW is beautiful, can't really capture it in my crappy pictures. Really deep and multifaceted coloring. The exciting part though is that big thick slab of combo in the middle. I'm actually looking forward to getting to try that out in the future. It's a little guy, but still a nice little score.

Would that "combo in the middle" possibly be similar to the one I posted earlier that has a very "coti like" bbw side?

Possibly? I'd have to see a side shot of your stone. In my experience La Grise tend to transition slowly from coti to bbw, giving a sort of dimmer switch effect in the hybrid area (Where I suspect yours was cut, never reaching the 100% BBW rock). This stone doesn't, it has distinct divisions; Top layer of uniform Yellow Coti, Second Layer Uniform Hybrid, Third layer Uniform BBW. An example of a La Grise doing this slow transition would be that "Les Latneuses" eBay auction we laughed about a few pages back.

Possibly? I'd have to see a side shot of your stone. In my experience La Grise tend to transition slowly from coti to bbw, giving a sort of dimmer switch effect in the hybrid area (Where I suspect yours was cut, never reaching the 100% BBW rock). This stone doesn't, it has distinct divisions; Top layer of uniform Yellow Coti, Second Layer Uniform Hybrid, Third layer Uniform BBW. An example of a La Grise doing this slow transition would be that "Les Latneuses" eBay auction we laughed about a few pages back.

That's what I think I have, one side is coti and one side is hybrid, with no "real" BBW. I agree, and suspect the ebay "les lat" (seems to have sold BTW) was the same. Are there any benefits to the hybrid layer?

Jarrod's pic, dry #24485

$2449_0814s.jpg

wet, next to LV natural combo and LG hybrid combo ringtones
$140822_0016.jpg

Last edited:
Jarrod's side shot of my "inclusions" stone, not as slow to transition to BBW, but still not as distinct a dividing line as on the LV slurry stone

$1527_0519s.jpg

.... The exciting part though is that big thick slab of combo in the middle. I'm actually looking forward to getting to try that out in the future....

I guess my real question is, what makes the hybrid layer exciting to look forward to? Are they known to be extra easy/hard to use or to create very smooth/brisk edges? Or just the adventurer in you wanting to see "what's beyond the horizon"?

Just because I've not used one before. Excited to see what it's like. More Coti-like, More BBW-like, Something different from either? I'll have to wait and see. I generally don't use BBW, see no advantage over yellow coticule. So I'm curious if the Hybrid will be different.

Just because I've not used one before. Excited to see what it's like. More Coti-like, More BBW-like, Something different from either? I'll have to wait and see. I generally don't use BBW, see no advantage over yellow coticule. So I'm curious if the Hybrid will be different.

You don't have to wait, if you would be willing to pay shipping back to me. (and maybe hone one for me while testing)

Maybe in the future, as it is I've got about ten new hones to keep me busy for the next few weeks already, so I'm in no rush on the hybrid. If you want a razor honed though, feel free to shoot it my way and I'll get an edge on it for you. I just dumped about a hundred of my beater blades on eBay, so I'm running out of spare razors to hone when I just want to play around. I've been honing 2-3 knives every day just to keep myself entertained.

Maybe in the future, as it is I've got about ten new hones to keep me busy for the next few weeks already, so I'm in no rush on the hybrid. If you want a razor honed though, feel free to shoot it my way and I'll get an edge on it for you. I just dumped about a hundred of my beater blades on eBay, so I'm running out of spare razors to hone when I just want to play around. I've been honing 2-3 knives every day just to keep myself entertained.

I may just take you up on that in a week or so.

Feel free, just PM me for my address when you want to. I'm always free on Mondays, so if you get it to me by the weekend, I should be able to get it back out to you the following Mon. Let me know what kind of finish you want on it, or else you'll wind up with a finish off a mystery stone because mystery. If you want an ark finish, it may take a few more days, sometimes it takes a few shave tests to get them dialed in to where I'm happy with them.

Received this one a few days ago. Been a while since I got a new coticule but the bug hit again so I got this one and small 4x2 vintage glued combo off the b/s/t this month. Ive been thinking about narrowing down my hone collection soon so naturally I have to stock up first[emoji6]. I was told it was a la petite blanche and although I've only used it on some cheap kitchen knives it seems pretty quick even on water.

It seems like it was cut blending between two different layers in one side. What do you guys think?
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408930122.364456.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408930132.529413.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408930149.939680.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408930163.788881.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408930177.881536.jpg

Ive been thinking about narrowing down my hone collection soon so naturally I have to stock up first
And don't forget that adding a fairly narrow one could indeed be seen as "narrowing down my hone collection" :001_cool:

Nice hone. It's not two layers blending, as the layers aren't arranged like that (they run roughly parallel/in a bullseye arrangement to each other at intervals in the mine); it's just one layer that's a bit darker in a section.

Nice hone. It's not two layers blending, as the layers aren't arranged like that (they run roughly parallel/in a bullseye arrangement to each other at intervals in the mine); it's just one layer that's a bit darker in a section.

Good to know. Thanks

And yeah I like narrow hones better for coticules idk why. This is the fourth coticule in my possession right now and they are all around 7x1.5 inch in dimensions aside from one that just under 4x2

I like the wider barbers cuts for touchups, but I agree long and narrow are the best for bench honing. I've had a slew of them. My first was a 7x1, then an 8x1, then my 175x10mm LL, then a bunch of 6x1.25's. Recently bought a 12x1.

Top Bottom