What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Just getting it broken in for you! Since the chisel has no doubt damaged it you should send it to me for proper disposal.

I put that stone on the hood of my truck to take the pic and I walked away for a few minutes to take a phone call and when I came back one of my guys was sharpening his chisel on it!

I put that stone on the hood of my truck to take the pic and I walked away for a few minutes to take a phone call and when I came back one of my guys was sharpening his chisel on it!

Aren't coticules suppose to be used for chisels too? ;) obviously he knew what would put the best edge on the chisel.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Haha. Yeah he didn't hurt anything. I think he did it just to bust my balls...they know how I am about my stones. He's from Mexico and I asked him how they sharpened their knives/chisels there and he said they used files.

On the hybrid side? Yellow coti's have always been considered a bit too fragile for that kind of honing (they are prone to crumbling and excessive wear under that kind of pressure), but I've found a number of vintage BBW hones that were obviously woodworker's stones. I expect a hybrid coti would be great in a shop environment.

Alex, yes, that's 100% a synthetic of some kind. Possibly one of the "Reform Brokken" coticules (Synths made from coticule dust), but I haven't seen enough to say for sure. I would think the best way to tell would be to compare the seam between sides and the color of the red side to labeled examples.

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
He was using the coti side, but wasn't using much pressure. Didnt hurt it. I've got an old carbo I'm going to bring him tomorrow and tell him to have at it!

Just means they don't need them very sharp. Extremely rough work on tools just about everyone uses files. Taking chips out of most stuff on a stone is quite a bit of a nuisance.

Coticules have been used for finishing tools for a very long time, even chisels. You don't use a lot of pressure to finish a tool, even a chisel. Pressure is used on lower grit stones.

Edit: They, of course, are not 1 stone solutions for tools. In most sharpening processes, our bevel setters (1K) are considered medium or fine.

I am sorry to be so slow Ian, but here is that skinny hybrid stone I promised you pictures of. The slurry stone broke off of the main stone in shipment and the longer stone still has a crack in it. I don't use it, but thought it unusual enough to keep. Coticule jewelry.

$P7290029.jpg$P7290030.jpg$P7290032.jpg$P7290034.jpg$P7290036.jpg

Yeah real shame, but damn, that's about the prettiest coti I've ever seen. They hybrid doesn't even look like bbw, it looks like bbw-colored coti. The texture in the pics looks the same as the yellow. Did they tell you what vein it was?

Yeah real shame, but damn, that's about the prettiest coti I've ever seen. They hybrid doesn't even look like bbw, it looks like bbw-colored coti. The texture in the pics looks the same as the yellow. Did they tell you what vein it was?

They listed it as a hybrid dressante. I picked it up when nearly everything coming out of the ground was LaGrise. I got it at the same time as this pink Dressante so it may not be BBW mixed.

$P8270004.jpg

The stone on the right is an Ebay purchase that is quite hard and is very slow on water, but leaves a very fine edge. The bout will give wonderful edges, but it is pretty light on feedback towards the end.

I got this stone from an ebay seller who said he hadn't even tried this little hone. He sent it with Ardennes usual paperwork and said that he had since purchased a larger hone. I have not tried it yet either, but I did lap it yesterday and it is CRAZY HARD! Not quite Ark hard, but pretty close! Hoping one of you guys might remember it from the Ardennes website and be able to tell me what vein. Here are some pre and post lapping pics.
$P7310002.jpg$P7310003.jpg$P7310008.jpg$P8010014.jpg$P8010017.jpg

I got this stone from an ebay seller who said he hadn't even tried this little hone. He sent it with Ardennes usual paperwork and said that he had since purchased a larger hone. I have not tried it yet either, but I did lap it yesterday and it is CRAZY HARD! Not quite Ark hard, but pretty close! Hoping one of you guys might remember it from the Ardennes website and be able to tell me what vein. Here are some pre and post lapping pics.
View attachment 478980View attachment 478981View attachment 478982View attachment 478983View attachment 478984
Nice looker. Like a suita. Love the lines! Let us know how it performs!

Top Bottom