What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I'm not even going to watch that video. I'm afraid I'll throw up. Lol that's a beautiful stone Sebastian.

Jayber that boxed pike is sweet. Should be a nice stone.

We have to imagine that we could only hone on one stone at once........

Nice one Sebastian.

Greets Sebastian.

Yeah totally agreed!!
...But i had to buy two other ones ;-)

Vintage "Les Deux Grosses Latneuses Hybrid Layer", around 18x5x2cm....iam shure that this stone is a proper example what Henk wrote in his Grinding and Honing Part 4...iam quoting it here:

"The Les Latneuses vein consists of three different layers Coticule. One layer of the vein is a very fast yellow Coticule hone which is normally associated with the vein. Another layer of the vein is another yellow Coticule layer that is fast enough, but slower than the first yellow Coticule layer. Between these two layers yellow lies the hybrid layer, which looks like marble."

I can totally agree on Henks findings, one side is a very fast working side, the other side is slower...really interesting is that the stone itself is not lapped completely flat, so the natural bending of the three layers is well visible on one End....

I really like this stone not only from the honing aspect...also from the geological background this piece is very interesting...

Slower working side:
proxy.php

Fast working side:
proxy.php

Here you can see the Quartz containing Hybrid layer quite well:
proxy.php

proxy.php

On the left you can see the natural bending, well visible is the hybrid layer sandwitched between two coti layers:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Vid:

Last edited by a moderator:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Man that's a beautiful stone Sebastian. I remember Bart talking about fast band and slow band les lats. That's really cool congrats!

Man that's a beautiful stone Sebastian. I remember Bart talking about fast band and slow band les lats. That's really cool congrats!

Thanks David!!
I think i will give him a mail shot about this one as far as i read these were quarried down in Ol' Preu...iam shure that this is not from the newer Regné stones as these past stones i bought from a Coti Collector which passed away....her daughter sold them...

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I agree that looks like an Ol preu mined stone. Very nice pale creamy color. It's cool you got both layers on that one.

The only way to improve on that stone is if they could cut it at a point where the hybrid layer folded over on itself and terminated, and cut it in a wedge shape so that you have a side of each coti and then a double-thick side of the hybrid.

Just bought this. 15cmx4.1cm (5.9"x1.6: or so). Will take awhile to arrive. Probably my last hone purchase for awhile unless I encounter a no brainer in the wild. Very happy with my current arsenal.

$a1.jpg$a2.jpg$a3.jpg

Last edited:
Les Latneuses Benchstone (18x5,5x2cm) with manganese Lines and inclusions.....really freaky looking coti....

There are certain areas where the hybridlayer has breakouts near the corners, so i have to decide to lap away 2-3mm or skip the border on one side and work on the area which can be used....

Backside has to be lapped :-(

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hybrid side:
proxy.php

proxy.php

This time a more freaked out track ;-)

Video:
http://youtu.be/XGXApiBoRG4

Top Bottom