What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I'm waiting for someone to pull the trigger on it so we can get some good pix of it! I just don't have $300 to spare right now :mad3:

Finally here after a full month in transit :)

La Veille Rouge Bout 10

These pics are before honing flat. Have done a few strokes with slurry, having never used one before I can't comment on its speed but the edge was blunt from running over a glass to just shaving arm hair in about 40 passes each side. Off to have more of a play...

Attachments

• $LVR.jpg
    $LVR.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 135
  • $LVRwet.jpg
    $LVRwet.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Wow these things can remove metal !! Honed an old 6/8 Bengall, spent about 45min bevel setting and testing on my arm with different dilutions of slurry. You can really feel and hear the difference. Was good to play with an old razor as there is significantly more hone wear on it now !! Taped up the spine and did the unicot method, spent some extra time on the final stage with 30 passes then testing HHT. Managed to get a 4 in the middle and 2 on the ends at one stage, went back to the stone to try and even things up and couldn't get back to that level with 4 more attempts of 30 passes. Ended up with HHT 2-3 on the whole length then stropped to a good 4. The shave was great, did an extra pass on the most tender parts of my neck to feel for irritation and I don't have any. Im in love :)

There are a couple patches on the stone that have pin ***** and slightly larger holes along those darker seams, should I lap past those so the whole surface is completely smooth? Or will I uncover more holes in the stone as i get deeper into it? Honing over the holes does not seem to be an issue.

No, I wouldn't lap past them unless they are causing a problem. Even then, I'd consider filling them before lapping them out. No reason to waste stone.

Wow these things can remove metal !! Honed an old 6/8 Bengall, spent about 45min bevel setting and testing on my arm with different dilutions of slurry. You can really feel and hear the difference. Was good to play with an old razor as there is significantly more hone wear on it now !! Taped up the spine and did the unicot method, spent some extra time on the final stage with 30 passes then testing HHT. Managed to get a 4 in the middle and 2 on the ends at one stage, went back to the stone to try and even things up and couldn't get back to that level with 4 more attempts of 30 passes. Ended up with HHT 2-3 on the whole length then stropped to a good 4. The shave was great, did an extra pass on the most tender parts of my neck to feel for irritation and I don't have any. Im in love :)

There are a couple patches on the stone that have pin ***** and slightly larger holes along those darker seams, should I lap past those so the whole surface is completely smooth? Or will I uncover more holes in the stone as i get deeper into it? Honing over the holes does not seem to be an issue.

Nice! And welcome to being one of the coticule addicted. That smooth no irritation feel from a coti is a beautiful thing.

$lv (1).jpg
$lvv.jpg
Hello gents, just got this yesterday. I am looking for an ID on this. Im thinking it MAY be an LV based on the line on top photo, but I have very limited knowledge of this. Anybody? Its fast and deliverd a very nice smooth pretty keen edge for a first hone. The line runs on the other side as well, the same distance between the layers.

I love natural combos where the layers 'swoop' like that. I don't know LV from LD or LMNOP - but I've never been much of a veinaholic.
Except for Hybrids - and maybe LPB and LGJ, I wouldn't be able to ID a stone's vein on the fly.
IF that one is old - then I don't know that anyone could attribute a layer to it accurately. In the past, I've had a 1-2 Pike Cotis with similar lines/layers.

Was the LV layer mined long ago?

I love natural combos where the layers 'swoop' like that. I don't know LV from LD or LMNOP - but I've never been much of a veinaholic.
Except for Hybrids - and maybe LPB and LGJ, I wouldn't be able to ID a stone's vein on the fly.
IF that one is old - then I don't know that anyone could attribute a layer to it accurately. In the past, I've had a 1-2 Pike Cotis with similar lines/layers.

Was the LV layer mined long ago?

I can't find anything on when the LV layer was first mined

Anybody know why the big pink LD went up in price? It's 250 euro now.

I believe that happened with the two 5" LV they have. Only one was listed and it had a manganese line in it. They listed another one that looked plain and the first one went up 5 euros. Not a lot but why go changing prices after they are posted?

Top Bottom