What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Broke down last week and bought this vintage glued combo.

165x40mm

proxy.php

proxy.php

thats a very pretty stone the BBW looks great

Dilucot + oil for final polishing?

Slurry > diluted to water > Move to mineral oil ????????

Wondering how Camellia oil will do.

yup

but did about 50 strokes w minimal pressure on pure water after diluting and before the mineral oil - got a nice suction feeling on both.

and I was told to use Mineral by one with much Mojo - but amelia oil may work?

too tired to test tonights razor (done exaclty as described) and last night's which I added about 15/20 stroked on .1 diamond paste and .25 on a balsa felt block.

want to see if I ruined the smoothness of the edge by reaching a bridge too far - especially with my very limited skill level and experience. hope to to that side by side comparison tomorrow. will have longer whiskers so, we'll see. may even shave 1/2 of each cheak lightly w DE to see if the length of whisker is a variable that determines keen-ess/smoothness preferences?

all about experimenting ;)

Last edited:
:tank: :a41:

not gonna happen LMAO

Yup. Not here. At B&B, we embrace the unconventional.

"We've always done it that way" does have a lot of merit when we're talking about things that have been done for the better part of 300 years, and in some form or another for thousands....
But we're always looking for the better mousetrap!

"We've always done it that way" does have a lot of merit when we're talking about things that have been done for the better part of 300 years, and in some form or another for thousands....

and, quite simply... its' my Coti and I can do whatever I want with it... people can judge, I pay no mind... but to be banned from any forum for experimenting and choosing the unconventional path....well it is ridonkulous

and, quite simply... its' my Coti and I can do whatever I want with it... people can judge, I pay no mind... but to be banned from any forum for experimenting and choosing the unconventional path....well it is ridonkulous

thats what i dont like about the other forum you cant express new idea's
that stone on the left of your pic is looker. well they all are but i like that one

that was a joke by the way i was taking the pi#s

that was a joke by the way i was taking the pi#s

I had no doubt. hence the tank and machine-gunner LOL

and thank you, stoked about all of the Cotis.... that is my first and the one I am learning on - including using the oil :)

and to think I was so intimidated by the prospect of self- honing just a short time ago!!

Last edited:
I had no doubt. hence the tank and machine-gunner LOL

and thank you, stoked about all of the Cotis.... that is my first and the one I am learning on - including using the oil :)

and to think I was so intimidated by the prospect of self- honing just a short time ago!!

yeah my edges are crap so hopefully the coti helps

It's not a new idea. There are very old boxed coticules that say you can use oil. I'm not sure why such a fuss is made about it. On the other hand, I think you will get results that are just as good with water if you spend the time practicing.

It's not a new idea. There are very old boxed coticules that say you can use oil. I'm not sure why such a fuss is made about it. On the other hand, I think you will get results that are just as good with water if you spend the time practicing.

I've no doubt (that's it neither a novel concept nor the secret way to max out a Coti's potential)

and believe me I am practicing daily!!! and then some!

I have always been one to experiment tho, no matter what we may be discussing. Among my flyfishing friends I'm know as one who'll try anything unorthodox - sometimes it works sometimes not so much. but there is always something to be learned. for instance, one of my favorite flyfishing tricks is to get a streamer (minnow pattern) and rub the dessicant fletch dry (made for arrow fletches to keep them dry) on one side, and rather than use the streamer in the traditional manner I will cast the streamer out into a slow moving pool or pocket and allow it to sit still in the meniscus of the water and give tiny twitches to imitate a dying minnow. some purists look down on the technique, but I catch ALOT of fish that way.... :)

Last edited:
Great. In the past this thread has made me want to buy more stones. now I need to worry about it making me want to leave work to fish. Thanks Joshua!

Dilucot + oil for final polishing?

Slurry > diluted to water > Move to mineral oil ????????

Wondering how Camellia oil will do.

Yep, finish just like you would, rinse everything off, dry everything off, put a few drops of any oil and give it another 40-50 light pressure laps

As far as the oil, cameilia is fine, I use mineral oil.

another 40-50 light pressure laps

Light pressure.

I've been honing using basically the weight of the razor.
I'll use my left fingertips on the spine as a guide and to help hold the toe down (and I'm noticing that I sometimes seem to get a slightly wider bevel near the heel, indicating perhaps not enough pressure on the toe).
I also read a reference to early stages using similar pressure used on a pencil eraser... perhaps not a good analogy for me as I occasionally tear the page :wink:

Do these stones need a bit of pressure to work? I've been getting good edges, but not that good compared to Craig's Gold Dollar, and they don't seem to retain that keen-ness for long.

Light pressure.

I've been honing using basically the weight of the razor.
I'll use my left fingertips on the spine as a guide and to help hold the toe down (and I'm noticing that I sometimes seem to get a slightly wider bevel near the heel, indicating perhaps not enough pressure on the toe).
I also read a reference to early stages using similar pressure used on a pencil eraser... perhaps not a good analogy for me as I occasionally tear the page :wink:

Do these stones need a bit of pressure to work? I've been getting good edges, but not that good compared to Craig's Gold Dollar, and they don't seem to retain that keen-ness for long.

Make sure that the edge undercuts the fluid (slurry or water) at every stage of dilution along the entire edge. If you're on water and struggling with getting undercutting within, say, 30-50 strokes, go back a bit. Rinse the razor and stone well and rub the slurry stone up and down the hone once. From there, do several sets of strokes, dilute, and so on until you're down to essentially water, and again make sure that the edge undercuts the fluid at every stage. Use a bit of pressure at every stage except the very last few strokes. (This is actually to your advantage, since with only easing up at the very end--at least with everything but a wedge--you're essentially creating a very slight microbevel.) And, by a bit of pressure, I mean eraser without ripping the paper. Your hand shouldn't feel tense but shouldn't feel completely relaxed. If your hand always feels tense, well, go meditate or drink a beer or something.

Excellent.

I know that it's not good to "stroke-count"... but what's a good ballpark at each stage, and how long does the slurry last?
On my Nortons/Naniwa/C12k, the stones (water only) are getting very dry by the time I get to 20 strokes.

Dilution... just a couple of drops of water?

Oh... and to stay on topic, I'm going to try and get some photos posted up of my just-received stone tomorrow!

Excellent.

I know that it's not good to "stroke-count"... but what's a good ballpark at each stage, and how long does the slurry last?
On my Nortons/Naniwa/C12k, the stones (water only) are getting very dry by the time I get to 20 strokes.

Dilution... just a couple of drops of water?

Oh... and to stay on topic, I'm going to try and get some photos posted up of my just-received stone tomorrow!

I'd say about 20 strokes (i.e. 20 on each side) between dilutions is a good starting point. Note that it is possible to raise a slight burr if you're doing half-strokes with pressure on a fast coticule and do too many half-strokes before switching sides, so don't go overboard.

As far as how large of a dilution, I recommend watching one of Bart's many videos where he's honing. He uses a cup of water and uses a couple of fingers to move water from the cup to the hone. Personally, I hone in front of the sink with the faucet just barely releasing a drop every few seconds. It lets me just put the hone under faucet for every dilution while avoiding getting my fingers wet, because I am just weird and don't like my hand that's holding the razor to be wet.

This is my first coticule. Haven't had time to try it yet but someday I probably will. I hope.
Two questions, does it need a lapping and what layer may it come from? Thank you!
proxy.php

Top Bottom