What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

could of been worse 4k to 6k level, just joking i'm sure it will give you a nicev forgiving comfortable shave . every stone i have used , and been able to master has given me realy smooth comfortable shaves ... in my opinion a good coticule honing is as good as the edge will be .. as for grit rating i've never under stood how you can give a natural stone a grit rating, my la vainette gives me edges that are easily as smooth as any crox i have tryed , i onestly mean that .. what grit is crox 50000 so whats that make my coticule ?

be intersting to hear what you think?

gary

No worries.:biggrin1: It hones just like my other vintage that I get great edges off of. I don't know how someone can apply a grit to a natural stone either. It was just too good of a deal to pass up.

could of been worse 4k to 6k level, just joking i'm sure it will give you a nicev forgiving comfortable shave . every stone i have used , and been able to master has given me realy smooth comfortable shaves ... in my opinion a good coticule honing is as good as the edge will be .. as for grit rating i've never under stood how you can give a natural stone a grit rating, my la vainette gives me edges that are easily as smooth as any crox i have tryed , i onestly mean that .. what grit is crox 50000 so whats that make my coticule ?

be intersting to hear what you think?

gary

Im am being completely honest when i say this....The La Veinette I bought from Maurice at the same time as Scott, has been incredible!! I am completely new at honing, having only done it about a dozen times, if that...I have no bevel setter, relying on just the Coticule...granted, my razors are not that difficult to hone, as they are very close to nos and straight blades(no smiles etc..)..I was using just the Coticule(dilucot), then going to a .25 and .125 pasted bench strop, and then lightly finishing back on the coticule...I've recently started going straight off the Coticule, no pastes, with very, very little, discernible difference....I am getting consistent HHT4 (at least thats what bayamontate, whos taught me to use the stone told me it is) Im getting smooth, sharp edges on my own!.....La Veinettes are incredible!!!!! At least the ones Scott(life2short) and I got are!!!!

Edit*** Obviously the last step being approximately 30-40 laps on Linen/Poly and 50-60 on Leather...

Last edited:
i'm not surprised . if you can get a nice hht 4 of the strop your shaves will be smooth and plenty keen.. i'm over the moon with my LV.. I have paste and sprays .. i jst carn't justify using them on a well earn't coticule edge ....

gary

i'm not surprised . if you can get a nice hht 4 of the strop your shaves will be smooth and plenty keen.. i'm over the moon with my LV.. I have paste and sprays .. i jst carn't justify using them on a well earn't coticule edge ....

gary

Yup, between reading your posts, and Scotts, as well as the guys over at Coticule.Be, and what Ive learned hands on with Nelson, Im extremely happy with what Im getting off of this stone...Dont get me wrong, Ill go to pastes, and then finish on coticule, if Im having a bad day..Having read how finicky Coticules are, and the time it takes to figure them out, Im just surprised how easy this stone is to use...is it bad to set bevels off of the Coticule..Will I prematurely wear out the stone?

Regards

Last edited:
as for grit rating i've never under stood how you can give a natural stone a grit rating, my la vainette gives me edges that are easily as smooth as any crox i have tryed , i onestly mean that .. what grit is crox 50000 so whats that make my coticule ?

gary

While I have always believed that Coticules are sometimes limited under 4K and above 12K ( limited only because there are more efficient options available, ) Coticules when mastered, or at least figured out, are amazing hones. Mastering Coticules has more to do with touch and technique than anything else, once you figure either of these out, there is no better one stone honing prospect available, IMO, of course.

I too have achieved edges off my Dressante au Bleu that feel keener than off of CrOx, I can't explain why but there it is.

Basil has been killing it with his La Veinette, his edges are excellent.

Thanks Nelson. Youve taught me well..I cant say I have a real handle on what Im doing. Like you say, its just a feel. That and I have easy Nos blades to hone...Ill be back for more lessons, with some jacked up ebay specials!! You got off to easy teaching me to hone brand new razors! :straight:

...is it bad to set bevels off of the Coticule..Will I prematurely wear out the stone?

Regards

~~~I typically put more pressure on my blade when I use 1/2 strokes on top of any coti I use for bevel correcting but raising a slurry and using a little bit more pressure wont wear it out...maybe 100 K razors honed on top of it will though:thumbup1:

I would really like to wear out one or more of my coticules someday, for I will have honed a great many razors

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I can't beleive you haven't bought any more stones yet. You have a lot more will power than I do. I have got a hell of a pile of rocks and they just keep showing up in my mailbox. :lol:

I must say my la vainette does'nt have the thickest of yellow sections. i realy would 'nt want to dish it removing chips or setting bevels, rebuilding bevels should i say...I'd most likely use my 1k C. having said that i do have a 125x30 kosher grade la vainette , I'm sure its the same as scotts , as i received it a thew weeks ago. It only cost me 37 euro's, it quite thick...It cuts as quik as one K hone with haklf strokes and mild presure..I'd be inclined to set my bevels on that .. I don't do much more tan touch ups and a quik dilucot so my 150x40mm and 125x30 will last me out. the only other coticule i own is 100x30 la verte which was given to me , thats a very consistant coticule . the best thing i did was selling my collection and sticking with my La vainette , i've learn't more and my edges have improved , messing with differant layers was making honing more difficult..I have developed a great deal of confidents with just one coticule and the feel of this stone just indicates when i'm done . i no how far the stone can go with water and how it works well with slurry...evn my ti's shave great of the la vainette , in the past i've found ti's tricky to hone . there now my favourites again thanks to my la vainette ..

gary

I can't beleive you haven't bought any more stones yet. You have a lot more will power than I do. I have got a hell of a pile of rocks and they just keep showing up in my mailbox. :lol:

I havent really felt a need for anything else...I only own 4 razors, and this stone is my 3rd, I started with the veinette bout that created all that debate at the other place, then a select grade from TSS, and now this...Ive only ever had 1 stone in my posession at one time...I really dont see me getting anything better or more effective for me than this stone,at this point, so why bother, unless i want to start playing with jnats and naguras, which is a whole other can of worms...As for your HAD, its become your thing. I know you enjoy sourcing them, and visiting antique shops and such, so I think thats great. The thrill of the hunt!

I must say my la vainette does'nt have the thickest of yellow sections. i realy would 'nt want to dish it removing chips or setting bevels, rebuilding bevels should i say...I'd most likely use my 1k C. having said that i do have a 125x30 kosher grade la vainette , I'm sure its the same as scotts , as i received it a thew weeks ago. It only cost me 37 euro's, it quite thick...It cuts as quik as one K hone with haklf strokes and mild presure..I'd be inclined to set my bevels on that .. I don't do much more tan touch ups and a quik dilucot so my 150x40mm and 125x30 will last me out. the only other coticule i own is 100x30 la verte which was given to me , thats a very consistant coticule . the best thing i did was selling my collection and sticking with my La vainette , i've learn't more and my edges have improved , messing with differant layers was making honing more difficult..I have developed a great deal of confidents with just one coticule and the feel of this stone just indicates when i'm done . i no how far the stone can go with water and how it works well with slurry...evn my ti's shave great of the la vainette , in the past i've found ti's tricky to hone . there now my favourites again thanks to my la vainette ..

gary

Thats great! Thats another reason why Im not going on a hone buying freanzy... I wish I could say that I know what Im doing with my La Veinette..Being very new to this, Im sure Ive been lucky to be getting the consistent, great edges that Im getting, but again, I feel like its pure luck, or just kind of an intuitive "feeling"....Will it continue? who knows? Im just enjoying my edges for now.Im sure the day will come, that Ill be scratching my head, and posting here, because Im creating edges worthy of just buttering toast....

Thats great! Thats another reason why Im not going on a hone buying freanzy... I wish I could say that I know what Im doing with my La Veinette..Being very new to this, Im sure Ive been lucky to be getting the consistent, great edges that Im getting, but again, I feel like its pure luck, or just kind of an intuitive "feeling"....Will it continue? who knows? Im just enjoying my edges for now.Im sure the day will come, that Ill be scratching my head, and posting here, because Im creating edges worthy of just buttering toast....

basil just stick with what you have, it sounds like your getting great results , i've been there tryed the j nats and eschers spentmoney i did'nt need to..not that j nats arn't worth it, they are very nice finishers if you can work them out. it took me long enough to work out my coticules so i realy did'nt want to go throught that process with the j nats and eschers i owned , so i sold them also.....i have seve day set from ti and 6 individaul nice razor s, two good razors that i mostly used for experimenting .. If you have four thats mor than enough..

I have honed quite a few razors on my LV and I just put it to a DMT again to see how much it has dished it has worn down virtually none at all. This stone is incredibly hard and the only way I can use slurry from the stone itself which speeds it up even more is with a DMT. You will never need another stone Basil. Thanks for all the great info Gary!

mine seems quite hard i have to give a good firm rub with slurry stone. the only one i ever seen that was dished and right down to the black slate nearly was the one that was at my barbers shop. the shiop i worked in and now own belonged to jim and his dad. jims dad passed on a long time ago jim is now 8i years old , the stone was jims dads. it was a belgium coticule that they used to keep there razors in shape..It was the only one they had . the shop has been a barbers since 1934 and shaving with a straight was banned untill shavettes came out..so the last shave jim performed was a good 50 years ago. that stone was wrpped in a wrag i discoverd it when jim shown me how to use it. he used just water and mentioned no slurry. all though the wrag was coverd in dry yellow powder. unfortanutley the stone got skipped along with his vintage strop and aprox 10 razors wich i now no could of been restored. damm.. I have one of the razors which is a john clarkes shefield steel, bob keyes restored it and it shaves like a dream, hones up so easy ..

in dout mine will ever wear out, i guess barbers shops would give them more use ..

gary

nice story gary...i have to admit I work my coticules fairly hard using my dmt duo sharp 350 to rasie slurry more often than not...I'm just not seeing the wear, but I use more than one stone...and I don';t use any of my coticules for chip removal...too much work...I have 1 k stones for that=:), and the cretan hone too

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I ran with only 3 three stones for a long time, a King 1K, coticule and a Chinese 12+/- K and they worked great. I started to experiment and acquire more hones when I started honing for other people. A minimalist setup is excellent because it really improves your honing chops.

I'm working on a Red Imp for Chefbaze that was very badly honed for many years, the edge was over honed at the tip and the heel was never honed at all, the hone wear was respectively uneven.

After fixing the edge and spine on DMTs, I decided to hone the Imp on my coticule alone, set the bevel, sharpen, and finish, no pastes or sprays. I forgot how much fun one stone honing on a coticule can be. BTW, I got to HHT 4+.

Top Bottom