What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

shakin_jake, so YOU got that stone! I was casting an envious glance at it only to notice it had been sold.

~~~Ha!, I know that feeling all too well, seeing stones posted here others bought, before I could pull the trigger

That in my mind was an excellent buy of a small stone that is extremely usable and desireable.
Nice catch.

~~~Thanks!...it is a nice stone to hone with. I've been rewarded w/quite a few nice edges from that stone, from both the coticule side and the BBW. FWIW, the BBW has some pink spots in it (resembling dots). I've been told the pink spots/dots are desireable

Because this hone is narrow, @21mm one end, 24mm at the other, it's forced me to slow my honing stroke down. That in itself is a good thing (slowing down) for I've found I pay more attention to what is going on, on top of the stone, and the edge I'm working on

I've also built some nice edges honing on the coti and BBW simultaneously
proxy.php

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Its here. Arrived this Morning. A 200 x 50 La Veinette from Maurice @ Ardennes..Cant wait to start learning on it... He gave me an incredible price on this beauty, compared to what I've been seeing out there...It also has a few faint Manganese lines running along the top. And is a somewhat light salmon color...
$IMAG0361-1.jpg$IMAG0367-1.jpg$IMAG0372.jpg$IMAG0370.jpg$IMAG0364.jpg

Yeah that is an outstanding stone alright Congrats! Mine should be here this week too. Here is a beautiful La Grise I got from Jarrod at TheSuperiorshave. I asked him to pick one and he did better than I would have.

Attachments

• $IMG_3221.jpg
    $IMG_3221.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah that is an outstanding stone alright Congrats! Mine should be here this week too. Here is a beautiful La Grise I got from Jarrod at TheSuperiorshave. I asked him to pick one and he did better than I would have.

That is a beautiful rock! How many do you own? I can see this getting pricey! Quick!

Very nice stone. Don't ever sell it. I sold one and regret it. You almost never see La Veinette come up for sale in the BST. I am chomping at the bit now. Right now I own the la Grise and the La Veinette. I have had and sold many owning as many as 12 at one time but I had to prioritize and sacrifice a little while back so I am just trying to get a nice larger stone (The La Veinette) and a smaller stone for warped blades(The La Grise). The La Grise is is very soft and makes buckets of creamy slurry very fast.

Last edited:
We tried to warn you. :biggrin1:

I agree with Scott, don't ever sell that stone. You will regret it. I recently sold one of my least used stones and it was hard to let it go.

Well I'm still trying to figure out if straights are right for me. I love em, and want it to work, but it seems my wire beard eats up blade edges for breakfast.. Hence, my journey into coticules, and honing.. My edge quality doesn't last 8 shaves with just stropping. Sometimes the edge deteriorates in the middle of my second pass..maybe its the razor, maybe my technique? I've heard people needing to stop n strop between passes.. Anyway, if straights don't work out and I go the way of the artist club, you guys have first crack at my la veinette..

Well I'm still trying to figure out if straights are right for me. I love em, and want it to work, but it seems my wire beard eats up blade edges for breakfast.. Hence, my journey into coticules, and honing.. My edge quality doesn't last 8 shaves with just stropping. Sometimes the edge deteriorates in the middle of my second pass..maybe its the razor, maybe my technique? I've heard people needing to stop n strop between passes.. Anyway, if straights don't work out and I go the way of the artist club, you guys have first crack at my la veinette..

Let me know if you ever want to sell that La Veinette :devil:

I don't shave but about twice a week and I have a pretty thick beard and regular stropping keeps my edge great. Did you have your razor professionally honed the first time?

lovely stone I once had a 200x60 lv i brought it direct from maurice when i visited the mine. i paid at the time £170 in gbp . i sold it and wished i'd kept it. i have owned way over 30 coticules and enjoyed them all. i now only use my 150x40mm lv std grade from jarrard and i love it. i still have a vintage c remaining , when thats gone i will have just one la vainette . I can get great mellow edges just by setting bevel with slurry and hitting water . touch ups with water only. I can only describe the edge s as super mellow ..

gary

I don't shave but about twice a week and I have a pretty thick beard and regular stropping keeps my edge great. Did you have your razor professionally honed the first time?

Yes by Lynn Abrams... I'm sure its something to do with my technique/blade angle..Because the shave starts out beautifully smooth and quickly the edge deteriorates.. So its not the honing..I must be dulling the blade with poor angle while shaving.. Anyway, don't wanna away off topic, on a Coticule thread.. Hopefully I learn how to keep my blades super sharp with my new rock.. I just figured if I'm dulling blades this quickly, theres no way I'm sending em out to Abrams every month, so I better learn how to rock a coticule...Actually, Jarrod first suggested a few.weeks ago, that its possible my beard type its better suited for feather type shavette straights...ok enough..back to the COTICULE pics please..

lovely stone I once had a 200x60 lv i brought it direct from maurice when i visited the mine. i paid at the time £170 in gbp . i sold it and wished i'd kept it. i have owned way over 30 coticules and enjoyed them all. i now only use my 150x40mm lv std grade from jarrard and i love it. i still have a vintage c remaining , when thats gone i will have just one la vainette . I can get great mellow edges just by setting bevel with slurry and hitting water . touch ups with water only. I can only describe the edge s as super mellow ..

gary

When you say, super mellow, does that mean inappropriate for coarse beards?

gary

Gary, are you skipping dilutions? Sounds like you are going from slurry (bevel setting) straight to plain water? Do I have that correct?

Gary, are you skipping dilutions? Sounds like you are going from slurry (bevel setting) straight to plain water? Do I have that correct?

Adding onto what Jeremy was asking, if you are going from bevel setting straight to plain water, it that something that you can do with most coticules or only the LV?

No that does not mean inappropriate it just means the whiskers melt away. If your having trouble send me a razor and I will return it with a very mellow edge like Gary describes. Where are you located?

hi jkh. yes that is correct.. If i set the bevel on slurry and get asolid tpt pass. dry tpt realy holds edge i'll go straight to water with mild pressured back and forth stroke s. Plus light x strokes . I'll work there untill i get hht 3. if for some reason i carn't get there , i will go back to skimmed milk slurry (bery light) do aprox 6 dilutions then water ...

Some coticules work this way some don't. I have had lpb worked that way .. the lv if i get good bevel also works for some reason..i always say its good to try with a new coticule... You never no what your stone is capable of.. This is how you get to no your stone ..

You mayspend weeks practising dilucot. then you may just try slurry to water and get great results.. Its well worth trying you can always skip back to a slurry and do dilucot... Give it ago you maybe surprised.. realy work on water to get edge to max .

Very interesting Gary... I might try this out with my LPB and my LGB. I feel like I lose the edge on the LPB somewhere during the dilution stages but I think this just might be the answer. Not that the shaves have been bad or anything...but I feel like the edge is "missing" that special something. As for the LGB....I've never been able to get a shaving edge with this one so...I'll give it a go with your technique.

Top Bottom