What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I meant your post. I must be getting pictures mixed up, but second row on the right is a bout that appears to have a faded circular stamp (I assumed an Old Rock stamp). Is that not the Old rock?

The Old Rock is the small rectangle the bout is the LGB? and the circle in it is from a spray bottle I use. I didn't even notice it til you said that and I had to go look at the pick to see what was on my bout you were seeing.

Ok, I had originally said i was going to take some pictures of my "work" cotis and combine then with the ones i have at home but this thread is getting the better of me. Great stones guys!! Here are my La Nouvelle Veine and my La Dressante au Blue with combo cotigura stone. I'll take a pic of the other 4 or 5 when i get home next week.

What size is the one on the top? Looks like a monster in the picture.

What size is the one on the top? Looks like a monster in the picture.

8X3 the other is 6X2 I got the 8X3 off of Ebay for a pretty good price, it also came with this 9X3 BBW and cotigura stone. Everyone said the big ones suck but i had to find out for myself. I like it

Here is my Les Latneuses Belgian Coticule:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Les Latneuses vein is made up of three distinct layers of Coticule. One layer of the vein is a very fast yellow Coticule layer that is normally associated with the vein. Another layer of the vein is another yellow Coticule layer that is plenty fast, but slower than the other yellow Coticule layer. In between these two yellow layers lies what is called the hybrid layer, which looks marbled when fully exposed. The hybrid layer was initially called the "hyrbrid" layer because it was believed that it was a mixture of BBW and yellow Coticule layer. However, it is now believed that the "hybrid" layer is something different.

My hone contains portions of all three layers. The thickest yellow Coticule layer of my hone corresponds to the "slower" yellow Coticule layer of the vein. Then I have a very thin yellow Coticule layer on the other side of the hone that corresponds to the faster yellow Coticule layer of the vein. The "hybrid" layer is, of course, sandwiched between the two yellow Coticule layers. The thick yellow Coticule layer is about 12mm thick, which should provide much more Coticule than I will ever need.

I haven't used this hone, yet, but I will probably end up doing the most work on the thick yellow Coticule layer. Bart is currently researching this layer of Les Latneuses, and his current results, I believe, suggest this layer provides a mellow edge, which is great in my opinion. I can't wait to try this hone out.

Ok, I had originally said i was going to take some pictures of my "work" cotis and combine then with the ones i have at home but this thread is getting the better of me. Great stones guys!! Here are my La Nouvelle Veine and my La Dressante au Blue with combo cotigura stone. I'll take a pic of the other 4 or 5 when i get home next week.

How do you like the La Nouvelle ? I just bought one off joel and awaiting it's arrival. Wondering what I'm in for.

The first is a Pike natural combo, ~7 x 1.5 x 0.7...the second is a natural combo bout, that is great for hand honing, the third are a couple La Lat's slurry stones, i just got in the other day.

Thanks,

Mac

Nice Pike brand coticule. I have one of about the same size but with a thicker coticule side. I won't part with it. I'll have to post pictures of it and my other coticules.

Here is my Les Latneuses Belgian Coticule:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Les Latneuses vein is made up of three distinct layers of Coticule. One layer of the vein is a very fast yellow Coticule layer that is normally associated with the vein. Another layer of the vein is another yellow Coticule layer that is plenty fast, but slower than the other yellow Coticule layer. In between these two yellow layers lies what is called the hybrid layer, which looks marbled when fully exposed. The hybrid layer was initially called the "hyrbrid" layer because it was believed that it was a mixture of BBW and yellow Coticule layer. However, it is now believed that the "hybrid" layer is something different.

My hone contains portions of all three layers. The thickest yellow Coticule layer of my hone corresponds to the "slower" yellow Coticule layer of the vein. Then I have a very thin yellow Coticule layer on the other side of the hone that corresponds to the faster yellow Coticule layer of the vein. The "hybrid" layer is, of course, sandwiched between the two yellow Coticule layers. The thick yellow Coticule layer is about 12mm thick, which should provide much more Coticule than I will ever need.

I haven't used this hone, yet, but I will probably end up doing the most work on the thick yellow Coticule layer. Bart is currently researching this layer of Les Latneuses, and his current results, I believe, suggest this layer provides a mellow edge, which is great in my opinion. I can't wait to try this hone out.

i find the yellow side leaves a more crispy edge and the hybrid id mellowish.

i do most of my honing on hybrid and works very consistant. you could finish on hybrid side . you have a great hone . i thought the edges were mellow of hybrid. it was only when i sampled a vintage hone that i found out what mellow realy was and a mellow edge is the feeling of a butter nife but the stubble easily gets removed. Now my la vainette is defanatley very mellow , mellow edges are my favoutrite .

Ah, La Veinette. I've been trying to get my hands on one of those.
I just walked/lucked into it. It's the only coticule that I ever used, but I'd have to say that it's a fast one. It will start turning a slurry gray in just several licks.

Top Bottom