What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I no exactly what you mean, I have just lapped ten les patas. To me there kind of a la grise come la verte.

gary

I've lapped more than a few of them myself at this point. They're not all the same, but it seems these whorly stones have a common denominator - that 'patch'. Although I get the reference, I don't want to say they're like La Grise or La Verte or a mix/blend/mashup.
More like - there are some vague similarities to what I know about the softer La Grise, but not the granular soft type and def not the harder La Grise - mostly the squishy greasy type which has traits similar to La Grosse Juane.
The Verte side of things is from the softer side of that vein too, but not the grainy type.
But the 'patch' in the LP is vaguely similar to the uber hard brownish Vertes that were speckled and had many lines.
But I've had 'crispy' Dressante with that feeling too. I think another stone that was unknown had that 'you're on concrete now' feeling in a spot or two.

The hard/soft thing is still a bit of a conundrum to explain. In a very loose description; lapping it, you think it's soft. Honing on it, you think it's hard. It's not hard or soft though. Just medium.

The Patch seems to be loaded with dots and I want to put that under the scope. I'm not cutting this stone for that and my stage isn't going to be happy with the weight.. so I have to go through the box of slurry stones to see if I can find one with those dots in it. It has a very prominent feeling that will probably make some kids wet their pants, but there is zero impact of any kind on the bevel or edge. None.
Scratch pattern is pronounced - but the edges are traditionally coti-esque.
My first edge off this stone was really a half-assed job and I doubted it all the way until the first pass. I shaved extremely well, shave lasted well and my face-feel was superb. Zero AS burn after (I shave at night) and no shampoo burn during the AM shower either.

Speed is slow to mid-range on standard honing slurry. Faster on heavier slurry but it never really gets fast. Sorta like LGJ in that way.
I'm not seeing any auto slurrying and I'm not sensing it either. But the stone sorta feels like it would do that. Which is weird.
Stupid easy Coti to use - really, it is - to me anyway. Water only laps - yeah, no problemo - no loss of undercut after 30 strokes and no weirdness after a bizillion water laps either. Tried it with soap - Dawn, which, on this stone, is awesome sauce. Not needed, a light touch will do the same thing for the edge, but honing on the right mix of Dawn/water on this stone is highly recommended for the fun factor.

I got a coticule a few weeks ago that has the horrible, intermittent granular thing going on but it does no harm. I do find it really annoying though as it just makes the tactile feedback so unprogressive. If it didn't give up very good edges, I probably would have jettisoned it. All the feedback I have heard about the petas vein has been really positive.

Thanks for the writeup, Keith!

I detailed my experience there (including scope shots of the dots) in my diary thread; and yeah I kinda freaked initially. As far as I can tell, no negative impact running blades over the patch. At all. Just different feels.

Mine does not autoslurry and you can do laps forever on water, as you mention.

Unlike you it took me a while to figure out - but it was also my first hone of any kind. I am getting consistently nice edges with it now and basically love it.

The "patch" on mine is kind of a set of fields of the dots over half the coti. It is a very interesting stone.

Last edited:
Here is another one this one has a nice draw to it. I,m sending this to a friend to try out for maintaining his razor

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 195
It's sort of a void but I'm not convinced it was there before the stone was cut. I haven't poked at it too much yet, but it 'looks' like it could be softer stone there, which may have just crumbled out over time.
The lack of saw marks on that face is interesting.

Yeah. Looks too smooth to be a natural fracture. Wonder how they did it, or if they just polished after cutting it? it's also interesting how the ridge edges on the cut face are rounded, almost like water erosion.

It's def a saw cut, and a very clean one, not lapped. My feeling is that it was an exploratory cut - as opposed to just cutting a nubbin off a larger piece.

Might be weathered - hard to say. Another mini Coti mystery.

Just finished lapping these 150 x40 up . Got a thew razors to hone tonight so I will give one of these a good work out

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 135
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 139
Now that's a six-pack.

Lets see, one for the Kitchen, one for the bathroom, one for the living room... one for the shop, one for the garage.
The last one must be a backup stone then. :thumbup:

Nice Gary, and a perfect size for hand held honing, IMHO.

Are they all from the same layer?

i,m realy not sure, Maurice told me they are les patas what ever that means . They all have a nice draw when honing with water and a nice swish sound like there cutting. The orangish one on the left second one down cuts moderate with slurry. It seems to me this type of coticules are what's being mined at the moment, superior shave seems to have similar stock.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've had this one for about 3 months, but just now getting around to showing it off. It's a vintage boxed barbers special natural combo. 5x2.5 and 1 1/8 thick. It's super hard and very fast and incredibly fine. This one is an absolute joy to hone on.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 121
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 120
Nice. If I get another coti I would probably go for one with that kind of shape - I prefer it over longer but thinner stones.

I've had this one for about 3 months, but just now getting around to showing it off. It's a vintage boxed barbers special natural combo. 5x2.5 and 1 1/8 thick. It's super hard and very fast and incredibly fine. This one is an absolute joy to hone on.

Love those hard definitely not La Veinnette Vintage coticules. I've got a couple in a that size that are a joy to use. One was a barbers special, though it didn't have quite so nice a box. Are you sure you haven't shown this stone off yet though? I thought I saw it back when you bought it?

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think I put a pic up in the what did you hone today thread, but don't think I've posted it here, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom