What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I think the neatness of the stone and the box itself say it is something most likely special performance-wise. Hopefully, the lines aren't the stock coti idiot gouge tracks
I was thinking the same and if I hadn't just bought the 7" in the previous post I would have been all over it too.

How badly did you get stung for that size with a label? I think I got this particular one for hysterically cheap tbh. I sold a fat boy on there literally a few hrs later and ate $55 off of it. I was in the de for nothing at all so I am hardly out of pocket.

So I got a package from Florida last week:

proxy.php

I wonder what could be in the box!

proxy.php

It's exactly what everyone expected! It's a 70x130 that according to Jarrod is pretty fast for a modern extraction. I waffled for a while between this and a pinkish coti in the same size that was roughly the same speed that he thought was probably a dressante. Nb. there is a very small chip in the top left corner - that's not shipping damage, it was like that beforehand and TSS was upfront about it before purchase. It hasn't been a problem so far.

proxy.php

Side view of some inclusions (quartz? chlorite? anybody hazard a guess?) that I find very pretty

proxy.php

"Front" view with pretty much the same inclusions

proxy.php

Other side, just nice yellow coti

proxy.php

"Rear" view with some black (manganese?) inclusions

I've only played with it a little so far. The feedback on slurry feels great in a way that I find difficult to articulate - kind of velvety and 'carvy'. Feedback on water is waxier, and I don't know if this makes any sense but it feels like a harder rock on plain water than it does with slurry. It feels great in my hand - very comfortable size/weight for hand honing.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm happy I bought it. Its a fine grained stone fairly fast on both slurry and water with a nice waxy draw finishing. Leaves a nice bevel and sharp smooth edge easily.

So I got a package from Florida last week:

proxy.php

I wonder what could be in the box!

proxy.php

It's exactly what everyone expected! It's a 70x130 that according to Jarrod is pretty fast for a modern extraction. I waffled for a while between this and a pinkish coti in the same size that was roughly the same speed that he thought was probably a dressante. Nb. there is a very small chip in the top left corner - that's not shipping damage, it was like that beforehand and TSS was upfront about it before purchase. It hasn't been a problem so far.

proxy.php

Side view of some inclusions (quartz? chlorite? anybody hazard a guess?) that I find very pretty

proxy.php

"Front" view with pretty much the same inclusions

proxy.php

Other side, just nice yellow coti

proxy.php

"Rear" view with some black (manganese?) inclusions

I've only played with it a little so far. The feedback on slurry feels great in a way that I find difficult to articulate - kind of velvety and 'carvy'. Feedback on water is waxier, and I don't know if this makes any sense but it feels like a harder rock on plain water than it does with slurry. It feels great in my hand - very comfortable size/weight for hand honing.

Good luck with it. I'm a hand-holder as well. 70 x 130 mm seems like it would be a great format. I like mine at 60 x 115 mm quite a bit.

Last edited:
Coti arrived. It actually has a stamp. Never saw this one before, so I am putting it up here for reference. This stone may be kosher. Won't know till it is lapped. One major coti idiot gouges are on the bbw side.

$WP_20150905_12_16_37_Pro.jpg$WP_20150905_12_15_02_Pro.jpg

VC & co. Idiot gouges are when someone takes a lovely, soft coti and carves channels into an otherwise mint surface with icepicks, fish hooks and god knows what else, when even the sidewalk would be better suited to that task

Top Bottom