What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

$coti.jpg

Well, a few years back I happened across a coticule that was a first for me. It was a 10x2.5 that I would say was "not razor grade". I got it on eBay, tried a few different things, decided it wasn't worth my time trying to work out, so I sold it for a loss. It's actually in another members hands now, and he's gotten it to give him shaving edges; but I always regretted not getting to figure that stone out because I got rid of it so fast.

Well, I've gotten another one. Also 10x2.5", and while it looks nothing like the first stone, matches it exactly in use. I've had a couple shaves off it now, and I can safely say that within my realm of capability, this stone will never produce an edge the quality of what the majority of coticules will on a razor. I doubt it's a coincidence that these arguably lower grade coticules were found in larger slabs. But most importantly, I'm able to determine at least partially what accounts for these differences.

The first is one of my favored vintage coticules, the second an Ardennes bout that is VERY slurry-dulling and pressure sensitive on water, and the third is this stone, which is the second Coticule I've encountered that I would say would not have been sold as a razor hone. It's a beveling coticule.

Attachments

• $finecoti.jpg
    $finecoti.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 135
  • $medcoti.jpg
    $medcoti.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 134
  • $coarsecoti.jpg
    $coarsecoti.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 135

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here's a pic of a known Ol preu la veinette next to a vintage stone. I'm not saying the vintage is a LV, but its interesting how closely they match up

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 129

David

Haha. I'm not trying to stir anything up. Simply an observation that I thought was interesting.

David

I knew you weren't. (that's why i WAS....)
Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I can see how some stones with no stand out features would be impossible to identify, but I don't necessarily agree that just because its a vintage that you absolutely can not identify it just because someone said so years ago. I've read at least once where Maurice identified a vintage.
But, we've beat this horse to death and at the end of the day it just doesn't matter.

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I can see how some stones with no stand out features would be impossible to identify, but I don't necessarily agree that just because its a vintage that you absolutely can not identify it just because someone said so years ago. I've read at least once where Maurice identified a vintage.
But, we've beat this horse to death and at the end of the day it just doesn't matter.

I know, I was bored, sorry. :blush:

David

An 8" vintage combo. Jeremy, it has some brown lines in it similar to your coticule

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom